Builds NButler's 1997 FzJ80 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.restorationmotorsport.com
Hey guys,

I wanted to make an introduction and build thread for my new Landcruiser.

My name is Nick, I'm a long time BMW enthusiast. I've been driving them religiously for the last 10+ years and I think they are amazing cars. I've had a bunch of different models over the years but currently my wife drives an 2004 325i and I have a 1991 M5. The M5 is a work in progress and I don't daily drive it, that duty was saved for a 2007 335i. That has been a great car - stupid fast! I decided I wanted to shake things up a bit and decided to pursue the 4x4 world -- which lead me to the Toyota world. I really wanted a Tacoma but decided it was too small. I LOVE the new 4Runner body style but I can't afford one right now. Then I moved on thinking about an older 4Runnner but older ones didn't have the rugged off road heritage of the Landcruiser. I have alsways loved with the FJ62 body but they are getting really hard to find in good condition and if you do find one, they are pretty expensive. I loved their charm and simplicity but ultimately I knew the FJ80 was a better option for me. Lockers and all the modern 90s car amenities just made so much sense. I knew I wanted a daily driver and finding an 80 in good condition was going to be way easier compared to finding a clean 62. An 80 was also going to save me a huge amount of time and money because, factory lockers!

I found my rig online, it had no pictures and almost no description. It was at Toyota of Bellevue, WA which is one of the biggest Toyota dealers in the country. I gave them a call after talking with a sales guy things just kept getting better and better! I knew I had found my LC. This truck is a two owner being in the PNW its whole life. The second owner has had it since the early 2000s and just traded it in on a brand new LC. I gave the dealer a deposit, knowing it wasn't going to last long on the open market, even without any pics or description. The next morning my wife and I bought a one-way bus ticket from Portland to Seattle (3 hours) and the dove home our new 80!

Specs:

2 owner
Clean title
Factory lockers
Running boards
Sun roof
Leather interior

Needless to say, I'm very excited to have the truck and can't wait to learn more about its capabilities off road. I have no problem admitting that I know next to NOTHING about 4x4 stuff. :) I'll be searching the forum and asking lots of questions.

Follow me on Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport

Here are my before pics. I spent most of the day detailing the interior.

FJ80_brand new-13 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_brand new-3 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_brand new-2 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_brand new-11 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_brand new-4 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_brand new-7 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_brand new-5 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_brand new-6 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_brand new-12 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_brand new-9 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_brand new-8 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FJ80_motor-1 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

So far I'd like to fix anything that I find wrong once I spend some more time driving the truck. Otherwise I'll focus on a few fun bits.

• Speakers and head unit
  • New tires
  • ARB Front
  • Roof rack

Where is a good place to find a new steering wheel? You can see from one of the pics that mine is torn.

Last edited:
All great things start with humble beginnings.
Grats on the new purchase.

Ya buddy, good decision! Time to get your 80 geek on, oh and open your wallet...

Alright after a week I still love this thing!

My only update is that I managed to pulled the running boards off. Looks much better and the extra clearance will be nice.
Here are some pictures from this morning. A freind and I went exploring up some local forest roads. We had a blast testing out the truck! Lots of snow from the last few days.

FZJ80_stock_snow-1 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_stock_snow-2 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_stock_snow-3 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_stock_snow-4 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_stock_snow-5 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_stock_snow-6 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_stock_snow-7 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Hell yeah! Head first! Love it!

80s are stupid simple to work on. Insanely bulletproof. And way cooler than BMWs. :grinpimp:

Good choice!

Welcome! :flipoff2:

This week I pulled the trigger on new tires!

I decided on BGF KO2s in 295/75/16. I felt this was the best size for me since I'm going to be on stock suspension for a while. They fit really well in my opinion and look much better than stock! They haven't rubbed during my daily driving so far. I'll let you know guys know what happens once I get off the road.

FZJ80_newtires-1 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_newtires-2 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_newtires-3 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_newtires-4 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

After getting the tires installed I washed it and did a few quick passes with the buffer. I think the hood came out pretty good considering the little effort I put into it. :) I need to go over the rest of the body but the weather right now is so damn cool and rainy I'm not sure if I'll get the chance again soon.

Nice 80! I saw that one for sale up north, but I settled on the less perfect one that was in Oregon City. Mines Green, has 186k, and lockers too.

Funny you are into BMW's, I spent the last ten years deeply involved in VW's.

I made a really cheap front spacer for my truck, and still have the template. Looks like you could use one too?

Welcome aboard. She sure is shiny. Let us know how this bfg's do in the snow.

That's a clean rig. I also like the 295s...I've run those on past rigs.

Nice rig, congratulations! I also like my 295's.

Hint: A 13mm offset wrench will help you remove that last running board bracket.
XID1618A.jpg

Or a Sawzall :meh:

Welcome aboard. She sure is shiny. Let us know how this bfg's do in the snow.

Mine have done very well in the two snows we've gotten. About 3-4" each snow. Huge improvement over the previous rendition of KOs.

This week I pulled the trigger on new tires!

I decided on BGF KO2s in 295/75/16. I felt this was the best size for me since I'm going to be on stock suspension for a while. They fit really well in my opinion and look much better than stock! They haven't rubbed during my daily driving so far. I'll let you know guys know what happens once I get off the road.

FZJ80_newtires-1 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_newtires-2 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_newtires-3 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_newtires-4 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

After getting the tires installed I washed it and did a few quick passes with the buffer. I think the hood came out pretty good considering the little effort I put into it. :) I need to go over the rest of the body but the weather right now is so damn cool and rainy I'm not sure if I'll get the chance again soon.

Those tires look great. Noted!!

My first "mod" was also to remove the running boards. I replaced the front board surrounds with mudflaps from a non-runningboard 80. No regrets....and more clearance! I can recommend @beno for good selection on parts, including those.

Nice 80! I saw that one for sale up north, but I settled on the less perfect one that was in Oregon City. Mines Green, has 186k, and lockers too.

I made a really cheap front spacer for my truck, and still have the template. Looks like you could use one too?

You interested in sharing that template? Lol.... I'm not a fan of "stink bugs"!

Very, very nice find on this Cruiser! Enjoy!

If you lived in the same city and state as I, then of course, but I'm not mailing a piece of cardboard across the country you could easily make yourself.. lol

Handsome frenchy and nice 80 too :cool: Can you do me a favor and measure those tires diameter with a measuring tape (side-side rather than top-bottom) Please and thank you. :hillbilly:

Ah, yes. I know exactly which truck you picked up. Cheers to us both! :D

Nice rig, congratulations! I also like my 295's.

Hint: A 13mm offset wrench will help you remove that last running board bracket.
View attachment 1367049
Or a Sawzall :meh:
Thank you for the advice. LoL I ended up going to the hardware store to buy one of these just for this job.

My first "mod" was also to remove the running boards. I replaced the front board surrounds with mudflaps from a non-runningboard 80. No regrets....and more clearance! I can recommend @beno for good selection on parts, including those.

Ah, good to know. I'm still figuring out everywhere to buy parts for these trucks.

Tonights project: HIR 9012 Bulbs

The reviews were right on! These are well worth the upgrade. Trimming the top tab took almost no time using a mini hack saw. Here are some pics comparing before - during - after. The light out put is VERY noticeably brighter and more white.

Stock 9006 low beams -

FZJ80_HIRbulbs-1 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_HIRbulbs-2 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Stock 9006 bulb on the left. New 9012 HIR bulb on the right.

FZJ80_HIRbulbs_after-1 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_HIRbulbs_after-2 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Trimmed 9012 bulb to fit the 9006 housing.

FZJ80_HIRbulbs_after-3 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Stock passenger side. HIR 9012 drivers side.

FZJ80_HIRbulbs_after-4 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

FZJ80_HIRbulbs_after-5-2 by Nick Butler, on Flickr

Ok, enough time on Mud. Time to go drive around and test the new light. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom