Builds My 45PU has an LV for a friend... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been buried with customer work unfortunately. We just wrapped up a 9 month build on a customers Porsche turbo....it took priority over everything(also led to another project with him...more $$ for my TLCs). I've also been spending a lot of time with my FZJ79 project...it's engine is almost done and pretty much ready to get it in the chassis. I've been really focused on that as I need to kind of get it together so we can get going on the next phase of it's build(wiring, final plumbing, etc.)...it's going to be amazing.

I 'visited' my wagon a couple of weeks ago.....roof corner/a-pillars were done....he was working cleaning up the driver's side floor board....cleaning up welds. I asked him to take care of the driver's side rear tailgate opening on the body...it was crunchy...figured I'd rather have him do the work now rather than have to take it back to him later. I also paid him about half the bill(had the money on me)....so, that probably led to some de-motivation. Not a big deal, he did a lot of work and needed to get paid.

Maybe next week I'll find out what the deal is with it...I'd like it back. I miss seeing it....it's going to be a great truck.

One pic from my body guy. He claimed that what he found while repairing this quarter was the funniest repair he's ever seen. I didn't get any more info or picsi of what he found but I'm looking forward to seeing it. He says the truck is done which means it's ready to come home. I think I'm going to get it home, figure out what it's going to take to make her run and drive as-is and get it on the road. Once the 79 is build or very close to being done, we'll start on the LV. Fun.

465.jpeg

The truck is back from the metal guy....looks really good and should help keep her on the road for a few more years(hopefully a lot of years). All in all, we did both upper A-pillars/roof corners, drivers side rear floorboard, rear driver side passenger sill and rocker on the drivers side. Left rear quarter and part of the rear sill was done too.....if I had to guess, the right side quarter needs to be re-done too. I think I'll get it running and driving and then take it back to him to do that later...

P1080713.jpg

P1080716.jpg

P1080718.jpg

A-pillars and roof corners....nice work.

P1080721.jpg

P1080727.jpg

P1080725.jpg

I was missing one panel that covers the tension springs for the rear window...he made me one of those.....

So now I need to get a game plan together for this old girl. I think I'll LineX the floors, obviously put some fresh door seals in, redo the side window seals, put a headliner in it(have one from my last LV), maybe get the seats recovered(not going traditional with these) and basically get it freshened up inside.

Thinking of letting the new metal rust a little then I'm going to apply Ankor Wax to the truck to preserve the patina that is on it now. Thinking I'll run that for a few years until I tire of it and then maybe a proper LV paint job(white/light blue).

Probably need to address the mechanical aspects of it at some point too but since it's going to sit outside over the rainy months this summer, sealing it up and preventing water coming in is important.....

P1080720.jpg

Your metal guy does some really nice work! I am also very interested in that 70 series project, do you have a build thread on that one?

Great pics of a job well done. Thanks for posting them. Keep posting updates as you make progress and let me know when you feel guilty about letting her sit outside while I have a garaged space saved for her.

Ha. I'll find a garage for it......this thing is going to be a seriously cool old truck. So different from the LPB. Can't wait to start driving it...

It's been a long time since there's been an update and this isn't really much of one. We finished the sanding of the truck to remove the awful green primer....truck looks pretty cool. Had to push it inside this weekend as my lot is getting sealed over the weekend. Not sure what I'm going to do with this truck....not sure when I'll be able to drive it. I've finished my FZJ79 pickup build and am having a whole lot of fun with it....not even driving the FJ45 pickup....just the 79.

Pulled the gas tank out this week, we'll get it cleaned and lined. I think the pickup tube fell off in the tank which led to it getting park. I'll know more when the shop who does the work lets me know what they find. This will allow us to get it running so we can do a few laps around the block. I'd like to get the windshield installed too along with new gaskets around all the windows...fortunately there is a great glass shop about a block from my shop. Old school glass guys too...

PB013446.jpg

PB013449.jpg

PB013450.jpg

PB013451.jpg

PB013456.jpg

Couple indoor shots....not a bad home for the old girl.

The orange 40 is a customer build. 64 truck. Extremely unmolested truck...has some cool window etchings...roses and vines. Interesting. Doing a nice light resto on it with some modern drivetrain upgrades.

PB013453.jpg

PB013471.jpg

PB013476.jpg

Whoa there...

For a few seconds there that BMW next to the LV, well I thought it was a 71-77 celica. I was wondering why it looked like a 4 door and then I noticed the grill.

Nice looking LV.

Finally....after almost 4 years, we're moving forward on the LV build. Out with the F motor.....
P1105468.JPG
P1105466.JPG
P1105464.JPG

Since I haven't updated this thread in a while....current state of the LV...not much different than 4 years ago.

P4050310.JPG

P4050313.JPG

P4050318.JPG

The plan is to run the 3FE with a 4spd behind it(3spd transfer)....I'll run a late model disc brake front end, convert to rear discs.....we use a super cool ABS Power Brake electric boosted brake system.....keeps the rib in the firewall and clears the 3FE plenum. They're pricey systems but they are unbelievable with discs front and rear. I do an 80 series power steering conversion that is really neat(my 45LPB has a Saginaw installed by the PO...I prefer keeping my trucks all Toyota). Truck has an OME suspensions...so nothing there. 33" BFG All Terrain....I'll keep the OEM wheels...we came up with a cool way to space them out to clear the rivets on the calipers. Interior will either go REALLY nice...or I'll make it more useable. Will need door panels but the seat vinyl is good. So maybe just some Tuff Duck covers and call it a day. I've been thinking about doing a really cool bamboo floor in it with some other non original stuff. Not sure on interior...need to get a feel for the truck. New glass and weatherstripping. FJ55 mirrors. Dakota gauges....installed them on a client's build and really liked them. AC. Body stays as is. Maybe clean the frame and POR15 it or something...maybe not. Not too worried about that right now.

My goal is to have a truck that has a patina body but a very detailed engine compartment....modern(kind of) drivetrain/electrics and an interior that will look mid vintage custom. Not sure if that's a real thing or not. Ha.

Cool build, looking forward to following along! Got anymore details on the electric brake booster you are going to run?

Also what are your plans for the F engine? If you're looking to get rid of it I'd be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom