Builds My 45PU has an LV for a friend... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once we pulled off the foam from the roof we could see all the surface rust. Going to have to address this. I'm thinking POR15 then some kind of sound/thermal barrier....I've used Lizard Skin in my previous builds, good stuff. Maybe just POR15 and then some foil backed foam stuff. Not sure what to expect with in cab noise on this thing...I'm sure it won't be quiet. At all.

P4207327.JPG

FYI.......its a 1966, it has the gas door and long brow. 67 had the gas door and short brow, 65 no gas door and long brow(also cowl vent)

cool LV :)

Yup. 66. Not sure why I thought this was a 65....I think my buddy I got it from kept calling it a 65. Need to retrain my brain.

So got some interesting work in today on the truck. Came up with some really cool weatherstripping for it. I had visited my glass guy with some of the old felt window channels and the outside rubber window seal/wiper. We matched some up and ordered. It came in today and it is really cool stuff. Really really impressed. I couldn't wait so I put in the window channel and the wiper seal. They're spot on. The wiper seal will be too hard to install with the little spring clips(mine are on their last legs)...so I think I'm going to POR15 my inner door areas where the trim goes and then glue in the strips....both the felt and the seal. I can get clamps up there to hold everything and the windshield adhesive we use will keep those things in forever. I need to see how the felt does...size is great, just not sure it's going to touch the window. Maybe we'll make a small spacer. It's going to be spot on and functional.

Window works perfect in the channel and it's fits right in to the track. Perfect and really clean. I think I'll create a new thread on this stuff....maybe I'll put a kit together. I struggled to find some of the part numbers that people had listed in the past. Might be time for a kit.

P4257368.jpg

P4257376.jpg

P4257381.jpg

20170425_184542_HDR_resized.jpg

The door wiper seal fits really tightly to the window....felt lined on the inside. Even has a small lip that goes on the body side of the door. Inner part has a strip of metal in it to add stiffness...nice stuff.

20170425_184523_resized.jpg

P4257382.jpg

P4257383.jpg

P4257389.jpg

Vent window weatherstrip is original....in really good shape. I have a brand new set from TLC4x4 but being a hoarder, I might just keep them in my stash and use the ones in the truck. We'll see.

My kit will only be for the side windows....wipers, felt, window channel. Optional pieces will be door seals with trim.

Got some POR15 on the rusty stuff in the doors today. They weren't horrible.....still very solid.

Since I am gluing in my weatherstripping, I wanted to make sure there was a nice surface for adhesion. Had to straighten out the felt side too...for some reason it was really bent back....inner felt had no change of ever touching the window.

P4267430.JPG

P4267425.JPG

P4267431 2.JPG

Finished this up too.....almost. We were a couple of wheel studs short so we have to wait on finalizing that side tomorrow. 3 different guys have worked on it, parts were scattered in 2 different spots(and the truck)...it's hard to believe it all went back together. Shocking actually.

P4267432.JPG

Unfortunately this isn't my steering wheel but what a thing of beauty this is....just got it back for a customer's build. Paid a bundle for a non-cracked wheel...but it had these weird melted areas...can't figure out how it got damaged like that. Really unusual. In any event....with some body work and paint, it looks better than new.

P4277440.JPG

Off the lift...axle swap on Monday.

P4287478.JPG

P4287480.JPG

Front end disassembled.....POR15 this week hopefully.

P5017495.JPG

P5017509.JPG

P5017513.JPG

Got around to cleaning the engine compartment today in preparation for POR15 tomorrow.....I have been back and forth on what I am going to do on this firewall. The black paint was horrible....so we stripped it off and I think we might leave it as is. Maybe seal it all up with some gloss clear so it looks clean. My guys seem to like it this way. I'm not sold on it. The inner fenders really cleaned up nicely. I think we'll give it a go....if I hate it, I can certainly paint it black. No big deal.
20170503_181557.jpg

20170503_152705.jpg
20170503_152711.jpg

Prep yesterday, POR15 today....

P5047570.JPG

P5057578.JPG

P5057603.JPG

P5047573.JPG

It's the bumper that was on it when I got it and it seems to look original. The bumperettes are metal. Really cool.

I'll grab you some pics of the bumper when the truck is out in the shop. I think they bolt on.

Today we were able to get the steering adapter made and welded into the frame. It's a cool setup for using an 80 series box. We used this on a 40 we did for a customer and it was great. This time I was smart and made a couple extra for future projects or if someone wanted one(thinking about offering it as a full kit...there are a lot of parts to make it all work...40, 60, 80). The plate gets the sleeves welded to it, trim inner frame rail, drill outer holes, weld adapter in, bolt box up. Not too bad. It does require a modified shock mount(OEM mount won't clear the universal joint we use at the input to steering box) and you have to trim the inner fender.

P5117804.JPG

P5117745.JPG

P5117781.JPG

P5117811.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom