This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what kind of gas mileage are you guys getting? Before anyone comes for my head . I drive a lifted 4Runner as my daily so I'm not too concerned just generally curious. And about how many gallons does a full tank get you? Thanks in advance. 1981 Fj40 4 speed

Last edited:
Around 13.5 MPG with original F155 and rebuilt original carb, Petronix in OEM distributor. Local driving.
I'm around here too. The 1971 mostly original FJ40 is the most fuel efficient vehicle I own. I'd make a hard argument the FJ is 2nd behind the VW bug/beetle as the most "green" vehicle ever produced, considering production input energy, longevity, and recyclability.

13.5MPG also for day to day back road driving (with original F155 and rebuilt original carb).
Now, if I do a long journey (300+ Miles) my fuel consumption actually lowers and I will get 15mpg even when driving 70-75mph on a highway.
My record fuel consumption is even 15.7mpg on a multiple day trip just after the carb rebuild. The more it's running the happier this engine is...

I'm working on getting my 72FJ40 back on the road. I have seen it do 25 mpg many times on 150 mile trips that were half freeway and half dirt road fast idle in second gear road hunting. 2 barrel Rochester, Delco dizzy and a header. In the summer the timing is set out of the window on advance. Best I ever got in my 83F150 300 I6 was about 17 mpg - 15 is normal.

I'm steady in the 12-13mpg area.

If it drops I know I need to take a look at something. I don't care so much about the mileage I get, more of the long term performance from the rig, I notice things that might be going south before they become an issue based on a log I keep of fuel/mileage/ maintenance.

Hahah explain
Diesel swap. But it will take 500 years to pay back the cost of the swap in the fuel savings, so do it for the cool, not the fuel (“savings”).

I never checked what I get but I always figured it was something like 40 or 50 mpg.
Its a “hybrid” system. ICE power to the top, gravity to the bottom.

Hahah explain

20220907_113018.jpg

13-16, healthy 2F, headers, pertronix, oe non usa carb with the largest jets i could find in it, 10-12 degrees advance, 33's with 3:73s.
around town to 75 on the highway.
the smiles are unaccountable

12-13, city, highway, up hill, downhill, headwind, tailwind, 2H, 4H … you get the message.

Original 2F, FJ60 big cap dizzy, headers, ‘76 Aisin carb

Last edited:
11 or 12 mpg for me. My 76 40 series is running an 87 2F with a non usa carb and distributor, headers, 4.11 gears and 35" tires. Spent a small fortune on gasoline the last couple of decades but the $hit eating grin on my face when I drive it is well worth it.

I was curious about the MPG after I had installed my Sniper in January of 2020. That May, I had a long road trip planned up in the North GA area, so this is what took place:

Trip time: 10 hours (+/-)
Road time: about 5.5 hours (+/-)
Miles: 200 miles (10% highway & 90% back-roads)
Fuel consumption: 14.4 gallons
Mileage: 13.88 mpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom