Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im just going to put this here #4062

BUGGY

I feel like atomic ridge is too easy for a real buggy though

I feel like atomic ridge is too easy for a real buggy though

The big issue was the lack of traction. Wet clay underneath a layer of leaves meant that we weren't getting up anything. The trail hadn't been used in months it seemed.

The gatekeeper was real though. I don't see anything other than a hill killer getting up either of the two possible paths up without a winch, even when dry as a popcorn fart.

There would have been zero issues with the driveline if you hadn’t tried to go from to 0 to plaid in 7ft while towing Hatchet.

100% agreed, but it was awesome wasn't it? :lol:

It was so good. We had the whole of group camp to ourselves at windrock more or less. We all camped in front of the pavilion (pic below).

Full tally of carnage:
- 2x 80 birfields (same truck, different times)
- 1x 80 front diff R&P
- 1x set of 80 rear axle hub studs
- 1x 80 front lunchbox locker stuck locked
- 1x 4runner tcase shift rails broken (stuck in high range)
- 1x moonshine rear driveshaft
- 1x winch line ripped off the drum (mine)
- many new dents, lost side view mirrors
- 1x atv rolled 11 times (driver bruised but otherwise healthy)

Crazy weekend for sure. Next time someone suggests that a group of full body rigs run Atomic Ridge, just say no :rofl:

AM-JKLUvQxq310gtxw0Apcd-vzMiRaYdascOOy4Kze9_gyjPrekK6dGMt-_7xhjx4gftQT3GOGoMzSG4ZFgkqlRloiVNyhrLloSaSUshAJ0gSxqw3n86gp6_WyGPThWjJ1YITFtoqAFAjBsVQ_oBXHJyXds=w1920-h1440-no
I also lost my sweet cherry bomb exhaust and had to finish the day with a very short open exhaust.

The gatekeeper was real though. I don't see anything other than a hill killer getting up either of the two possible paths up without a winch, even when dry as a popcorn fart.

Quite a description. Now I wanna see this obstacle.

I knew I would be bummed I missed it once I started seeing the photos and videos.
Glad you guys had a good time.

New winch line, new rear driveshaft, new tail lights that will hopefully be harder to smash, flasher speed modified for led bulbs, rear diff cover inspection plug with new gear oil and a new sticker. Just about ready for her next adventure.

PXL_20211127_165846485.jpg
PXL_20211130_155857402.jpg
PXL_20211130_183451522.jpg
PXL_20211130_184638262.jpg
PXL_20211130_210202859.jpg

I haven't read this entire thread......yet. But, I looked at your last few pages. Holy moley I had no idea you guys had hard core wheeling like that. We have rocks like that but no trees or clay. I'm impressed. My rig would struggle on that stuff for sure. I'd be doing a LOT of winching I think. At least you have trees to winch from. Your pics and videos are making me think about my underbelly protection and body armor for my current build. I don't have the axles to run tires that big so 37's will probably be it. Dang it, now I have to read your entire post.
Scott in AZ.

Yeah, we're getting into silly stuff now. The rocks aren't a big deal, but when mixed with wet southeastern clay, it gets gnarly real quick.

It's clear that it's time to develop some serious quarter panel protection. I have a dilemma, and need some input.

Should I come up with a plate style quarter panel system like @jcardona1 and @actionjackson 's 80s, or should I do a tube style quarter protection like @VCCruzr?

Plate style:

24530803568_f9e2dc881b_b.jpg

s4300026.jpg

155_5554.jpg

Tube style:

rear-armor-001-jpg.600856

rear-armor-002-jpg.600857

I think I'm leaning towards the plate style. What say you mud?
well, you know what I will recommend... plating for all my friends! and turbos, lol. :cool:

The action jackson style is more visually appealing to me, but the 60 lower quarter panel sticks out more.

How about this. Plated/reinforced on the inside down to the 60 lower body line, then tubing from the (soon to come) rear bumper up to protect the lowest portion of the quarter:

View attachment 2822830
that's what's on mine. good idea.

I have a feeling you will still find a way to smash those tail lights as well
More than likely, but at least these are Amazon prime for $30!

Downpipe rotted apart again, meaning it's time for mo boost.

Broke the back two exhaust manifold bolts. Typical.

1639350474862.png

When attempting to disassemble my hx30 to re-clock it, I broke the CHRA :mad: Guess it'll become a toilet paper roll holder, or maybe a xmas ornament.

1639350518340.png

Chopped 24v manifold looks pretty, and allows me to use shorter manifold bolts, hopefully preventing future breakage. Plenty of hood clearance, and it gives me more room for activities.

1639350616119.png

As usual I'm going to copy what @boots4 does on his truck. Should fit nicely.

1639350742967.png

The tubing can be designed to have more kick out. So I vote tube quarters. Too bad the truck is so shredded now. It was really looking good after all your body work. I always pull the winch line before I shred the body. But I'm a wimp when it comes to body damage.

Yeah, it was shredded before, then I body swapped it with fresh paint, then I shredded it, then fixed and painted, and now it's shredded again. I'll fix it again at some point in the future, but for now it's a blast beating on it. :lol:

My sliders have a pretty big kick out, but it doesn't help when you just about lay it on its side, lol.

Compounds...love it. Is the 351 gonna get VGT control or live in a fixed position?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom