Magnuson Supercharger FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

complete installation instruction PDF is somewhere here on mud if you want to search for it. I think it's a "budget for 2 days, hope you can finish in one" installation.

Cool. I know you have to take the crank bolt off, but other than that is the install pretty straight forward?

Yes, it is pretty straight forward, the instructions are good. It is fairly time consuming, but if you take your time and do it right it is pretty gratifying when its all done. I have installed a couple of these, and the wiring loom is probably the most time consuming, it isn't difficult, just in a difficult location and I probably spend too much time extending the harness. The instructions say to open the loom to get enough slack on the connectors to reach the relocated TB. I have had to cut wires and solder in 6" extensions to reach the TB on both of the kits I've installed. The crank bolt is not too bad if you have the tools, or a 3/4" breaker bar to put against the frame and use the starter method to remove it. Re-torqueing is a different story, again not difficult, but it has to be at 304 ft. lbs. So make sure you have the proper torque wrench and a way to hold the crank while you crank it down. I use a 14mm socket on the torque converter.

That fan wasn't installed. I gave him the 3FE fan off my cruiser and I put my new Landtank orange hub fan clutch and OEM fan on mine.

Sent from my iPhone
so is the issue with this fan quality and that it breaks or performance?

I think I would rather have a ringed fan to move more air......unless it blows apart of course
most heavy duty vehicles have a ringed fan

The ringed fan was selected by TRD simply because it was on the shelf and would fit in the hole. In it's original configuration the ringed fan had a very specialized shroud that it interfaced with. Find an 88-92 V6 pickup and pop the hood and look at it. When used in an 80 with a 1FZ the fan is not ducted in anywhere near the same manner, therefore making it not very efficient at best.

Also in the original application it was possible for the fan to tackle the shroud thereby wiping out the shroud, the blade, the battery, radiator hoses air cleaner resonator and denting the hell out of the hood. Not he best design.

so what's the difference between the 3FE fan and the stock fan?

If you are not a purist, an ls fan setup is great. There are a few good after market controllers out there that are reasonably priced. Fans from a 2004-2006 gto are almost a perfect fit and they are bulletproof reliable. Even after being submerged....I inadvertently tested it on my previous truck.

So, we are talking about a group buy on superchargers here.

Ok, if everyone can pm me their name, contact phone number and shipping address, I will start working on vendors. If anyone has a vendor list or thoughts of where to go first, let me know. I am totally new to this, so if anyone has ideas let me know.

I would think that if we can get 10 people to commit, it would be great. If we can get 20 to commit, it would make this pretty slick.

So, who else wants to throw their hat in for a supercharger for a target price of $3500 with group buy?

@cheddar bob
2fpower
@packetstormin
@Robkc
@DKBrulles
@bahacruiser94
@mtnzorro
@littlegreenmonster
@DKBrulles

how about
@BJANDCJ
@ericbirk
@danadog
@FMF

3 more friends joined in.

@etarasoff
@RC5280
@UAB1ENGNR

I may move this to a new thread to see how many people are serious. I will ping everyone again when I do.

pretty much where im at.... if the cdn dollar recovered to say 75-80 id jump all over 3500 usd......

Bummer for me too. at current rates on 3500 US its just under 5000 k to purchase

Anyone have experience in using the super charger with reg no led gas and not premium high octane fuel? I don't have acces to high octane fuel here in the sub Arctic and I am wondering if I should modify my head to lower compression slightly since i will run 87 octane.

pretty much where im at.... if the cdn dollar recovered to say 75-80 id jump all over 3500 usd......

We could save on shipping since we get screwed on that also haha

I keep trying to convince myself I don't want this but am having a very difficult time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom