Builds Love at first sight FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

how are you going to remove the rust and coat all of the inside areas of the existing body and the parts you made?
Well all the new peices I made, I primed before welding them in. And then the rest of the underside body, I'll remove rust and then paint once I do a full frame off in another year or two. I don't mind taking it apart again.

Does someone want to tell me that this retro coolant heater is worth a thousand bucks these days?! Probably ;). Might just clean her up and throw back in. (This is a Canadian 40 BTW)
IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1916.JPG
IMG_1918.JPG

It`s worth what ever somebody is willing to pay for it !! LOL
JP

We all have a soft spot for these old rigs. I would hazard a guess that many of us paid too much for our rigs, but when a FJ40 talks to you, it's usually with sweet, sweet whispers of what will come. welcome...

When I read that, I had a flashback to the '60s and thought of Eric Clapton singing "Tales of Brave Ulysses"

You thought the leaden winter
Would bring you down forever
But you rode upon a steamer
To the violence of the sun

And the colors of the sea
Blind your eyes with trembling mermaids
And you touch the distant beaches
With tales of brave Ulysses

How his naked ears were tortured
By the sirens sweetly singing
For the sparkling waves are calling you
To touch their white laced lips

We were both seduced by Miss Scarlet's siren song. Probably paid too much. But we can hardly wait to see the places she will take us!

I had one of those type heaters when I still had the F. I'm sure there is a reason against it, but it was real nice on cold morning and the heater would immediately blow warm air onto the feet. Made the Vermont winter bearable in a 40.
Side note- did you replace the foam and cushion? I'm debating between rebuild and a set on junkyard set of seats. How much did you pay for cushion and cover?

I had one of those type heaters when I still had the F. I'm sure there is a reason against it, but it was real nice on cold morning and the heater would immediately blow warm air onto the feet. Made the Vermont winter bearable in a 40.
Side note- did you replace the foam and cushion? I'm debating between rebuild and a set on junkyard set of seats. How much did you pay for cushion and cover?
The foam and cushion were pretty beat up, I believe the guy had to replace it. He charged me 400 bucks, which was actually a great price since new covers would have cost me 600. My father knew the guy so thats why I got a good deal.

Getting close to being done this big pieces! Starting to get excited, but still lots of tedious work to go.
IMG_2507.JPG
IMG_2523.JPG
So before fully tacking in this fender top I figured I should bolt in this fuel cover thing just to see how things are lining up. Well I had troubles getting some of the bolts to line up....I eventually was able to push and bend it to where it needs to be, hopefully it doesn't affect me too much.
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2525.JPG

When I read that, I had a flashback to the '60s and thought of Eric Clapton singing "Tales of Brave Ulysses"

You thought the leaden winter
Would bring you down forever
But you rode upon a steamer
To the violence of the sun

And the colors of the sea
Blind your eyes with trembling mermaids
And you touch the distant beaches
With tales of brave Ulysses

How his naked ears were tortured
By the sirens sweetly singing
For the sparkling waves are calling you
To touch their white laced lips

We were both seduced by Miss Scarlet's siren song. Probably paid too much. But we can hardly wait to see the places she will take us!

i did the "days of thunder" thing with mine.
-turns off lights in garage, fading rays of sunlight slipping through windows.
whispers to 40 up on jack stands.
i'm going to put fresh springs under you, get you up in the air, with plenty of ground clearance, put low gear sin your axles so you can crawl over anything. put a large oil filter on you to hold a little bit more oil. going to give you new oem seals all the way around.....

Last edited:
My fenders were in bad shape.... after taking off all of the paint and bondo, we found some really dented up steel. I let them sit in the middle of the garage for months trying to figure out where to start . I eventually said SCREW IT!! And gave them to an old buddy of mine who is a bodyman by day.
IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2393.JPG
He got them repaired, primed up and ready to go!
IMG_2565.JPG
IMG_2566.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom