LED headlight conversion bulbs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Don't see that this topic has come up lately, and knowing how fast this technology is changing, I figured it was worth bringing it up again.

I run 55/100W H4 bulbs in Hella e-code headlight housings, with a heavy-gauge home-brew harness. The light output is good, MUCH better than the crummy sealed beams with the pathetic factory wiring. The high-beams are crazy bright, they eliminate the need for auxiliary driving lights. I burned out a bulb the other day, so I need to order a couple more for my spares kit. But I figured I'd look into an LED upgrade. Has anybody done this recently? A couple of choices I found:

LED Headlight Kit - H4 LED Fanless Headlight Conversion Kit with Compact Heat Sink | LED Headlight Bulbs | LED Car Light Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

Amazon.com: OPT7 Fluxbeam LED Headlight Kit w/ Clear Arc-Beam Bulbs - H4 (9003) - 80w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE - 2 Yr Warranty: Automotive

I've been very happy with the products and service I've had with Superbrightleds, every bulb in my truck is now LED except the turn signals. But not sure I want to risk $80 on a set of bulbs.

ps: I do not like LED light bars. I just don't think they would look right on a classic truck like mine. People over-use them, IMO they are for douchbag bro-dozers. Not my thing.

I know there's rules regarding LED lights and retrofitting them. But I'd love to see where this thread goes as I'm debating on making a new headlight harness this summer for going with the H4 or Vision X lights.

But I'd love to see where this thread goes ....

Me too. I've already done the harness conversion, but I'm still running the OEM style headlights. I keep hoping one will burn out. Realistically, I will probably just go with an e-code H4 conversion. That is what I did on my FJ40, and I really like them.

I've looked at Truck-lite's a few times, but I keep hoping something will come out that looks less "bro-truck". I REALLY like the projectors on my A4 and have thought about retrofitting those, but again, it just doesn't look right.

I've been looking at Lifetime LEDs lately for replacement lights. They have several DOT approved options. I know they have DOT full headlight replacements (at least the 7" round ones I need) and they have bulb replacements too that I believe are DOT legal.

Still in the similar boat with HIDs as they are not DOT approved in standard 5x7 housings unless you do a full retrofit with a projector.

There are a few pre-assembled projectors out there in 5x7, but they are fugly, bro-licious looking things

DOT approval has never been a concern for me. Nobody cares, nobody ever checks.

I recently bought some ebay H4 LED bulbs. I've been running them for a month, and am still not sure if I like them or not.

If you buy some, make sure you buy the first style you posted and not the second style. You want the LED elements to be arranged as close as possible to where the filaments would be in a normal H4 bulb. You also need the little reflectors on the low beam elements to maintain the vertical cut off properly. Also, the first bulbs you posted have three elements in each position. However you can find the same bulb style with four elements in each position, which are rated much brighter. I ended up buying bulbs with fans, but obviously it would be better buying bulbs with passive coolers instead.

So far here are my thoughts on them:

Positives:
- Use less power from the electrical system (LEDs are more efficient, less heat more light).
- Great low beam light output/pattern
- The LEDs are regulated, which means your lights don't get dimmer if your alternator output drops a bit at idle. The light output is always the same regardless of the power input.
- Look more modern.

Negatives:
- When we got snow, there was not enough heat from the bulbs to melt the snow off my H4 housings. So I quickly lost light output as my housings covered in snow.
- The high beam does not project as well as my old Halogen H4's. It's wider, but not as far.
- I don't really like the narrow light spectrum/color. Even though there is more light, it is almost harder to see. A halogen has a wider spectrum, so is easier to see.
- The bulbs I bought seem to create electrical noise that interferes with my radio. The result of buying something from China that doesn't adhere to electronic emissions requirements.
- Can't fit the rubber boots over the bulbs I bought.

I bought bulbs on the cheaper end of the spectrum. There is certainly potential with this technology, it's just a matter of picking the right bulb design I think. For example, Philips makes LED bulbs. They are expensive as heck, but I bet they are good. Most of the Chinese bulbs are knock-offs of the Philips ones.

These are the ones I bought:
2x H4 160W 16000LM LED Headlight PHILIPS Chip Kit High Low Beam Bulb 6000K White

If I were to try another pair, I'd probably try something more like these ones. I like how they are flatter, with less aluminum cupped around the LEDs blocking light:
2x Philips LED Chips 160W 16000LM H4 9003 HB2 Headlight Kit H/L Beam Bulbs 6000K | eBay

Last edited:
Did you upgrade your headlight wiring harness @GTSSportCoupe

No I did not. There is no need, as the LED head lights I bought are only 40W each in low beam or high beam. Only eight 5W LED segments are on at one time per bulb (8x5W=40W). A normal halogen is 55W/60W I believe.

The sellers are a little misleading when they say 80W, or 160W. All they are doing is adding the total power of both bulbs plus high and low beam together.

I don't think any of the LED bulbs out there need more power than a standard Halogen bulb....

I am running the truck lites 7" round headlights. I can vouch for them. They're 1000x better than the regular halogens. In addition, they have a flat cut off angle so you don't blind oncoming traffic. I had stock HIDs on a brz I used to have. So once I got the truck lites on my first gen, they were just as good as the HIDs from the newer car.

$510 for a pair of headlights? Is this the Bugatti forum? WTF...

They are ~$360 a pair on Amazon as opposed to ~$500 for the JWs, $380 or so for the Trucklites.

The Trucklite and Rigid look really similar, wonder if they are sahe same kist re-badged:meh:

trust me, they will be the last headlight you will have to buy.
before i was running on my truck the halogen headlights, 2 hella spot lights and 2 hella flood lights. once i was able to upgrade my headlights, i went off roading to test them out.
when i turned on my auxiliary lights, they offered no improvement for the led lights. they were dim. the led headlights were like if you had HID lights on high beams!
ever since, i sold my hella lights and made up some of the money i paid for the trucklites, i did not need them anymore and i do not miss them either!
i am aware that there are knock offs on ebay and amazon, which are basically the same light just with different branding. but one of the key factors i opted for was that trucklite actually stand behind their product. but you could easily get some knock offs for about what you would pay for a decent set of HID bulbs and ballasts and get comparble results.
so if you have the means, i would save up and get some better lights.

$510 for a pair of headlights? Is this the Bugatti forum? WTF...

Your truck would look pretty baller with one of these;)

3D-Zinc-Alloy-Stand-Car-refiting-Decoration-Badge.jpg

Sweet! How do I order? Looks like another fine product from Rigid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom