KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by cruzerDave, Aug 4, 2016.

1. WillW

WillW

Thanks for the reply! I'll try and figure out what to do.

2. seatosummit

seatosummit

Media:
    Albums:
    Got mine installed before the weekend last week in time for a run to the snow. Quite happy with the results.

I'm planning on sealing them in the next couple days with a water-based polyurethane. Also planning on adhering some marine-grade carpet on the top deck for traction. Interested in hearing if others have tried this specifically to gauge how worth while it is as compared to something like the removable rubber mats posted earlier in the thread.

Actively designing some modifications to allow for one of the drawers to function as a camping kitchen box, similar to what @BirfMark went for in his drawer build.

Pretty stoked on this upgrade!

[​IMG]

montegofd3s and alpine357 like this.
  3. cruzerDave

cruzerDave Land Shark Outfitters Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Looks great @seatosummit! Be warned in case you missed it in the above posts that poly and other stains can take a LONG time to fully dry, emitting noxious fumes in the meantime for weeks in the truck. Looking forward to your carpet approach, have debated that for mine as well so please include sources for material!

4. unfast

unfast

I used these 20170119_132552.jpg to get this finish. 20170119_132235.jpg I'm also using neodymium magnets to hold the wings in place. 20170119_132309.jpg

5. mrbigboy

mrbigboy

Dig that stain color @unfast, looks great!
    How did you secure the magnets to the wood/aluminum? Did you just drill out and glue them in place?

6. unfast

unfast

Thank you.

Yes sir, just oversized the holes just enough to tap the magnet in and glued them in. As far as the stain we tried to match the factory gray as best we could but retain some of the wood grain. Tough to do but I think it looks almost factory. This finish only took 1 coat of stain so if anyone kinda local wants some let me know.

nnnnnate and mrbigboy like this.
  7. cruzerDave

Media:
    REALLY dig that look and never suspected it could turn out like that... definitely a unique & beautiful set of drawers!
    If you can include/PM a closeup pic and a source for the magnets, and how they look from above, I'd like to add that to the list of mods...thx for sharing

8. unfast

unfast

I can't figure out how to attach pics to a pm so I'll just post here. 20170120_121116.jpg These are the magnets I used. Sourced from the local True Value hardware store, like 9 bucks or so, they are strong little things. 20170120_121210.jpg After it was built and secured I removed the wing hardware. I drilled out the holes in the angle and the wings to just a little smaller than the magnets. They were undersized enough that I had to drive the magnets into each surface. After fit was confirmed I drove the magnets out and added glue, then reinstalled the magnets. 20170120_121203.jpg Now I just need to cut the supplied bolts down to plug these holes. I don't believe any adhesive will be needed, the magets should hold them. This will be done for aesthetics only.

Hopefully you can port this over dave.

yeti in ga likes this.
  9. incudie

incudie

Media:
    I'm loving the magnet idea!

Mine is still a WIP but ended up going the fabric route instead of paint as I like to sleep in the back :p. There's a lair of thin cushion under the fabric normally used as cushion under wood panel floors. Wrapped it all as one piece.

My partner was kind enough to start painting designs on as well!

[​IMG]

krice118, k3pack, SurfSwitch and 3 others like this.
  10. incudie

incudie

Media:
    Double lair of the cushion material and fabric from Joanns.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

larryt, JonD and IHScoutII75 like this.
  11. unfast

unfast

^ looks great.

incudie likes this.
  12. nnnnnate

nnnnnate

Media:
    How do the wings attach normally? Is there a hinge? I'm sure it posted somewhere but I don't recall.

@unfast does the finish you have reflect sunlight like others have mentioned or is the stain dark enough to not be an issue?

13. unfast

unfast

@nnnnnate actually the sun hasn't been out since I've put them back in unfortunately. The sealer has a satin finish instead of hi gloss. So hopefully between the darker stain and the satin finish it won't be to bad.

nnnnnate likes this.
  14. cruzerDave

Media:
    KISS Drawer Bolt Issue
    Several screws in my personal drawers have started showing rust. These are screws in use for more than 6 months, and for weeks at a time sitting disassembled at the edge of my garage getting snowed on as I tried different parts for 80 series or adding the wings. It is unlikely others would get theirs as wet, nonetheless I don't feel good about this, so I am offering everyone stainless steel replacements at no cost to them.

For Customers
    I've emailed everyone with a longer explanation and instructions to get your replacements - if you do you do not see it in your inbox now please PM or email me at landsharkoutfitters@gmail.com.

For Future Customers
    All future drawers sold will use stainless steel or zinc plated screws for the tops, drawers, and fronts. This means silver-colored heads, not black, will be visible and and look different than in most of the photos you have seen - I'm sorry but I could not find black stainless screws. The exact mix of stainless and zinc plating I am still trying to source and will post later here and in the January Batch thread.

15. Live to Ski

Live to Ski

Way to go on the pro-active action = quality customer service!

DJCloz likes this.
  16. cruzerDave

Media:
    Bolts will mail out Monday - took some time to figure out shipping that wasn't 5-10x as expensive as the dang bolts themselves. Finally got it sorted at 3x though <sigh>

17. mehbohdi

mehbohdi SILVER Star

Cruzerdave yesterday I pm'D you. Now I can't find post did you get it?

18. cruzerDave

Media:
    negative - best way to get ahold of me is landsharkoutfitters aht geemail anyway

19. Bwood

Bwood

Got my drawers put together a couple weeks ago, went with a clear minwax polyurethane and black rubber diamondplate for the top. Everything else is still a work in progress, but super happy with how the drawers came out!
    [​IMG]

Itsky and JonD like this.
  20. cruzerDave

Media:
    @Bwood looks great! Care to share part#s for fridge slide, how you attached, etc? I've had quite a few questions on those...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.