KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How is everyone keeping stuff tied down on top of the drawers? I see some used aluminum tracks, are these just being drilled into the top out of the way of the drawer profile? I'll need to secure at least a fridge and large goal zero battery. Any pics and links to what's worked for you?
I don't really think that just tying down a fridge without it being on a slide is going to be effective when using the Reef (KISS) drawers, there just isn't enough room to open it and get in there without it being a giant PITA (IMHO). Honestly I think it's dicey with anything other than a tilt or drop down slide, especially on a lifted truck, but then again I'm under 6'. I used a DFG Offroad slide and really like it, it's screwed right into the top of the drawers.
As far as the battery, as long as you don't plan on moving it a lot, I'd probably just put a couple of bolts through the top and use a short ratchet strap or similar to secure it. And I'd get a coiled fridge cord from Wit's End.
20200704_150246.jpg

I used some beveled aircraft seat track on both ends of the top deck. Bolted down with 1/4- 20 Stainless Threaded Inserts and 1/4-20 Socket head cap screws.
417F9ZfqkvL._SY90_.jpg
41vPTmR2pKL._SY90_.jpg

Quick clip - rings allow for using ratchet straps or carabiner tie downs to hold boxes or large items. My 63qt Fridge normally lives in the second row, but will fit between the channel and strap in. I use a square woven cargo net over the top of the gear on top of the deck (in addition to the boxes being tied down strapped). Its a solid set up for highway and offroad travel.
41pndvR5bbL._AC_.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg
IMG_2398.jpeg

Noticed the cargo netting used as a barrier.

Not being critical, just interested as I recognize that need in my rig. Do you think that would work in an accident?

I'm toying with an idea that would be structural (along with several other ideas that will probably never be implemented...file under "talk is cheap") :bang:

But your use seems way simpler if there is good confidence.

Noticed the cargo netting used as a barrier.

Not being critical, just interested as I recognize that need in my rig. Do you think that would work in an accident?

I'm toying with an idea that would be structural (along with several other ideas that will probably never be implemented...file under "talk is cheap") :bang:

But your use seems way simpler if there is good confidence.
I actually got it in a large part for that reason, and I have moderately good confidence that it would keep my refrigerator from hitting me in the head in the event of a catastrophic accident, but like the safety on a gun, I am not going to test it. I also wanted something to keep my pillow in place when I sleep in there! I can say that it is well made. It's from Cargo, barrier and dog safety nets - Raingler Nets, btw. It's actually great for the dog now, which is when it gets the most use.

How is everyone keeping stuff tied down on top of the drawers? I see some used aluminum tracks, are these just being drilled into the top out of the way of the drawer profile? I'll need to secure at least a fridge and large goal zero battery. Any pics and links to what's worked for you?

I have used Bull Ring retracting tie down rings. They are often used in truck bed rails - look like this and the hoop drops flush.

1603821721691.png

I don't really think that just tying down a fridge without it being on a slide is going to be effective when using the Reef (KISS) drawers, there just isn't enough room to open it and get in there without it being a giant PITA (IMHO). Honestly I think it's dicey with anything other than a tilt or drop down slide, especially on a lifted truck, but then again I'm under 6'. I used a DFG Offroad slide and really like it, it's screwed right into the top of the drawers.
As far as the battery, as long as you don't plan on moving it a lot, I'd probably just put a couple of bolts through the top and use a short ratchet strap or similar to secure it. And I'd get a coiled fridge cord from Wit's End.
View attachment 2477289
Fridge slide looks great, but we will be sleeping back there often so I don't know if i want to be removing the fridge slide hardware. Thus far I am able to reach in just fine from the rear when I set the fridge horizontally. It's a bit of beast to move but for now ok. We need to take the fridge out for sleeping inside.

I used some beveled aircraft seat track on both ends of the top deck. Bolted down with 1/4- 20 Stainless Threaded Inserts and 1/4-20 Socket head cap screws.
View attachment 2477315View attachment 2477316

Quick clip - rings allow for using ratchet straps or carabiner tie downs to hold boxes or large items. My 63qt Fridge normally lives in the second row, but will fit between the channel and strap in. I use a square woven cargo net over the top of the gear on top of the deck (in addition to the boxes being tied down strapped). Its a solid set up for highway and offroad travel.
View attachment 2477324
View attachment 2477292View attachment 2477309
I like this set up, seems to offer good flexibility and ability to tie down multiple items.

Hey guys, does anyone know what the current lead time is for these drawers? I placed and order and curious to know how long it took to get your set! Insanely excited!

I just got my order filled yesterday. I was D112. Seems it's a good time to be in the drawer business! Good for @CruserDave! I'm looking forward to getting them installed and filled with junk.

AH they look so good. I'm getting excited. Does anyone know the current lead time / what order @cruzerDave is currently on? Trying to time the install for an upcoming trip. Thanks!

#D111 shipped this morning!

First time post here, placed order in Reef KISS drawer on my 2000 lx470 from land shark outfitters and waited 5 weeks. Installation is smooth and really like the drawers.

View attachment 2493807
Daaaaaang that is SHARP! Love the orange, I've always been a fan of bright interiors for ease of finding stuff.

Lead time has been 5-6 weeks for the queue system, holidays will extend that as I need to breathe, but then it should drop in January and just mayyyyybe get caught up by Feb and be selling stock.

I have finish questions! I’m an 80 series fella, but this is the place for all things KISS and Reef, so I’m gonna post my question here. I‘ve paged through this thread a few times, but I haven’t seen the specific info I’m seeking. My drawers are built and on saw horses in my garage and waiting for finish, but I’m stuck on how to proceed. I have a few questions.

1. Planning to mask the slides, and hinges then paint. I don’t have access to a paint gun, so its brushes and rollers or spray paint.

2. Anyone regret painting the hardware? Did it make tightening it up in the future impossible/ difficult? I used blue loctite and have them nice and tight, but i seem to recall that earlier in the thread there were a few folks who needed to tighten things up.

3. Anybody do anything special to seal the plywood edges (especially on the floor)? Your collective wisdom is really appreciated!

@fan95, Love it! I did orange and grey too:

1607455643543.jpeg

@PNWTreeOctopus, I pulled out hardware pieces that I didn’t want to paint, then reassembled. I masked the slides. I varnished the insides of the cabinet and the drawers with a brush. Used a roller on the colors. I painted (or varnished) all the surfaces, so there isn’t any exposed wood.

I’m digging the whole system. Simple and lots of storage!

For those with wing kits, I used these marine stainless steel hatch pulls to finish things off. They're spring loaded so pop back down on their own. I did have to drill the pre-made holes out just a little bit. Cut my vinyl mat to fit them as well which keeps the mat in place nicely. Could also leave them underneath or cut larger round holes to keep them more flush with the mat.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5590.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5591.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5599.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom