Justdifferentials / Nitro Gear Project "Inigo" 87 bj73 Landcruiser LHD, from Spain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Letsgomoreplaces

Gear & Axle parts for ALL Toyotas new or old...
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
www.letsgomoreplaces.com
DSCN1159.jpg
DSCN1169.jpg
Nitro_BJ73_adventuredriven.jpg
Well the 10+ year quest for a clean, rust free, removable top, mid wheelbase, Left hand drive, 70 series landcruiser has finally yielded us this fine beauty. With the help of Landcruiser 70 guru, Hugh of Safari LTD, we have the unicorn vehicle through JDMLandcruisers.com to start this long awaited project. Spain must be a great place to live if you are a BJ73, as this there is no rust, and even the original paint is in good shape. The "Mi Toyota Es Fantastico" decal on the rear window is the only modification so far, and it will stay! Our latest addition to the our "familia" of land cruisers will be named "Inigo" Montoya. For those that haven't seen princess bride

Stock vehicle specs:
1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73 LX: Silver with white FRP top, original 80's multicolor decals, 3b diesel, full float Lsd rear axle, 5 spped mt, 24 volt, "Mi Toyota Es Fantastico" decal

Planned upgrades will be a multi purpose offroader and daily driver. Big tires, more power, etc, retaining and/or improving drive ability.

Planned upgrades:
-servicing of basic maintenance items, injectors, etc.
-Turbocharger for more power.
-Coilover front suspension via 3 link and panhard.
-Coilover rear suspension w 4 link
-80 series full float disc brake rear axle with Nitro custom 32 spline chromoly axles, 100 series type 4.88 Ring & Pinion, solid spacer, air actuated locker
- 80 series width hybrid 9.5" front axle Nitro 80 series chromoly birfield kit and custom 32 spline axles, Aisin hubs with chromoly hub gears, nitro 100 series type 4.88 Ring & Pinion set, solid spacer, air actuated locker
- upgraded crossdrilled cryo'd rotors
-37" tires on beadlock wheels
-3" lift height, custom fender work
- bumpers, sliders, winch
- HID headlight conversion, Rigid overhead light bar & duallys
- ARB twin compressor, air tank, 24v to 12v converter for stereo and aux
- much more
DSCN1159.jpg
DSCN1169.jpg

Last edited:
Nice score! I was looking at that one seriously until the troopy fell into my lap.

Now I am wondering who bought the white one??

Looking forward to your build!

Brett

Last edited:
4.88 nitro gears, nitro chromoly birfield kit, nitro chromoly rear axles, solid spacers, and arb or tjm lockers. 4:1 tcase gears. This is what ill be doing on mine.

Carl - robbed the quoted part from another posting - the 4:1 gears for the split case have a 1.0769 high range reduction - which might suggest that you want to re-consider your 4.88s or you'll end up with tires that are either 40" tall or a highway speed that will be maxed out at

4.88 x 1.0769 = a final drive ratio of 5.255:1 and in 5th gear you'll be having an effective ratio 4.467 instead of 3.49 with the 4.11s in 5th gear. That is an overall drop of about 28% - which means that if you had 31" tires on it now (true measurement) then you'd have to mount 40" units (true measurement) to have an equivalent ratio for highway cruising.

~John

Tcase gears

Yes, we will factor for high range reduction if we need to. Thanks for the input.

Carl - robbed the quoted part from another posting - the 4:1 gears for the split case have a 1.0769 high range reduction - which might suggest that you want to re-consider your 4.88s or you'll end up with tires that are either 40" tall or a highway speed that will be maxed out at

4.88 x 1.0769 = a final drive ratio of 5.255:1 and in 5th gear you'll be having an effective ratio 4.467 instead of 3.49 with the 4.11s in 5th gear. That is an overall drop of about 28% - which means that if you had 31" tires on it now (true measurement) then you'd have to mount 40" units (true measurement) to have an equivalent ratio for highway cruising.

~John

Turbo install

Got the Turbo installed Friday.

The kit was sourced from Keith at Jefferson State Machining, he was quite knowledgable, and quick to return my call, and is in the USA. Price is good too, but I told him he should raise his price:)

Link to Toyota 3b Turbo kit
1329124ab6ccdfe0ab9401462ac0c640.jpg

The kit was very nice and features:
-Garret GT Series Turbo
-Oil feed line w/ direct fitting, return line w/ weld in bung for oilpan
-13bt type reproduction Exhaust Manifold, gaskets
-Turbo to Manifold adapter plate.

Not included:
-12" piece of 2" exhaust
-3 bolt flange w/ flare to attach downpipe
-Exhaust
-Depending on your air cleaner tube, you may need to source a 2" 45 degree silicone connecter, and a 2.75-2.0" reducer and another roughly 12" chunk of 2" tube.

Install is pretty straight forward.
Before starting the job:
-check your oil filter, if it points up you will need a new adapter. Ours did, so we sourced the appropriate parts from Steven at EBI Cruisers in BC.
-I'd also suggest picking up a 2' chunk of 2" stainless exhaust pipe to use for the turbo-intake and the air cleaner-turbo
-I'd suggest bringing the turbo to an exhaust shop to have them fab a 3 bolt flared flange with a 90 deg bend and about a 16" downpipe so you can at least drive it to the exhaust shop when finished.

If you do these few things before hand, its no problem to do the job in 1 day.

Results were great. Turned up the fuel about 1/2 turn to stay on the safe side before gauges are in. I then drove about 150 miles accross the state to bring the vehicle to our good freind Luke at Hazzard Fabworks in Spokane,WA for some suspension & cage work. Luke has loads of experience with many high end, high profile vehicle builds and was the official fabricator of the 2012 Petersen's Ultimate Adventure.

More pics to come!

2013-02-14_08-41-49_493.jpg

2013-02-14_08-42-28_237.jpg

2013-02-14_15-42-45_549.jpg

looking great ! would love to see inside pics.

I LOVE the 73 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom