Installed my Lift this weekend and not all that happy :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I figured out today that the back end is what is bouncing and causing the slinky action in stop and go traffic. I was in downtown traffic and could see my truck in the reflection of a building and saw the back end bounce twice while the front just went down and back up one time.
So that leaves me to believe that the 2.0 Icon Shocks are not cutting it as you guys mentioned. Pretty bummed out because that is the one piece I bought new and was recommended over the 2.5 RadFlow shocks by Metal Tech sales guy.

@Bluetribal I've done preliminary research on prices for rear springs and rear shocks and I would like to compare notes with you.

Essentially, the OME options for rear springs/shocks seem to be the low cost leader for a brand and product that I'm familiar with on my 96FJZ80. I can get the rear springs and rear shocks for about $380.

The Ironman, ICON, and Radflo options range from about $550 to about $610. This is just for the rear springs/shocks.

Is that kinda what you are coming up with?

RearSpringsShocksPrices.jpg

This is just a price comparison looking at prices for about an hour. I haven't even looked at the performance of the springs and shocks.

But from a price perspective, are these more expensive options that much better than OME? I'm always looking for a good value (not the cheapest, but the best value). Also, these prices do not take into account the possible Black Friday and Cyber Monday discounts.

I have 6112 Bilstein Coilovers in the front (about 2.5" lift) and I don't plan on replacing at this point. My rear has OEM air bags with the air bag trick, so I'm lifted about 1" in the rear. I have a pretty level stance with this setup.

Those prices for Springs are what I have seen and are pretty much equal wherever you look.

My original plan was to go OME front coilovers and rear shocks with the Radflo springs I had picked up until I found these Long Travel 2.5 ICONS and I changed course. Turns out last minute changes gave me a ride I was not happy with. Since you don’t need much lift in back I don’t think any of the springs will be an issue just get good rear shocks. That’s what I have to figure out now.

I run icon standard travel resivoir coilovers up front with icon 2" rear springs and icon 2.5" piggyback shocks in the rear, that I rebuilt myself. I couldn't be happier with the ride. This was my first time to run 2.5" shocks all the way around and I will never build another suspension without them.

What does the 2.0” vs 2.5” do on the ICON or Radflow rear shocks?

I’m confused with the numbers vs standard travel and long travel.

2.5 Radflo also carries more oil I believe helping to keep them cooler. The ICON 2.5 definitely carries more oil because it has a piggy back.

Standard Travel and Long Travel is the difference between rod lengths and the downward travel you get out of them.

Got it. @Bluetribal When you were considering radflo 2.5” rear shocks what was the explanation the sales guy gave you to downsize to ICON 2.0”? He convinced you that 2.0” was good enough?

2.5 for sure. Resi makes it even better.

That’s a nice little guide for shock selection. Anyone know what the Bilstein 6112s coulovers are considered 2” or 2.5”? That’s what I have. It says 60mm diameter but 60mm is like 2.38”

I did more research and came across a very interesting post by Christo from SleeOffroad radflo vs king coil over

Also, I think I understand why @Bluetribal's original thought was to put Radflo (RAD-6ST001 Internal Floating Piston) 2.5" rear shocks. They are your basic shocks, but just a little fatter 2.5" instead of 2.0". Lots of good reviews. Not many other options in basic 2.5" rear shocks for the GX470. Maybe just the BOSS 2.5" rear shocks FJBOSS25R from ToyTec.

So, I'm torn between the run of the mill basic OME medium springs and OEM 60004 Sport Rear Shocks which I think might be 2.0" vs the beefier and more spendy Radflow 2.5 rear shocks and springs. If I match the springs from the same brand, the price is more than double. I need to figure out if it's worth the expense for the type of expedition offroad that I do.

RearSpringsShocks_02.jpg

I took advantage of the thanksgiving sale and ordered the OME rear shocks 60004 and rear 2” springs 2895 mediums from metal tech. Free shipping. No tax. $50 gift card. Free hunting knife. I just went low tech for my spring conversion.

I will have some MT HD long travel rear springs for sale next month after I get some time to the new Dobinson springs in.

Just ordered Toyotec 2.5 Front Coilovers (TTBOSS25-RD), Rear 2.5 Remote Resivor Shocks (TT-75110RR), and 2" ICON springs (ICON-52700).

A friend of a friend and now his fried have this installed on their GX's and were not happy with the Toyotec springs and ended us swapping them out with ICON springs and are now much happier. Came in at $1,763 with the 10% Toyotec holiday discount and ICON 20% discount plus the sway bar spacer so I can sell my ICON"s with the spacer and wrench. The same set-up with Radflo would have been $1,871 and ICON would have been $2,028.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom