Impending Vortec Swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that why my arms are itchy?

Some where in the 80 series production run, the battery box switched sides (1992?). So there are OEM battery boxes for either/both sides. Maybe your relays, PCM, fuse panels get a box of their own ?

Last edited:
So, what's the point of these huge and bulky plastic trays? Why can't we have something like slee makes for 200 series. Mike at steel nutz who made my radiator makes these at least for passenger side on the 80s.

20160826_124309.jpg

you dont need a battery box, it is just there to make you feel better. mount it up how you want it. you can even move them to the rear if you need space up front.

The way marks designed the shifter to attach to their adapter is nothing short of garbage.

20160828_084544.jpg

20160828_084707.jpg

from marks website on my adapter....

"The hi-low 4WD-lever housing is simply bolted to the top of the new adaptor housing."

Ok, I emailed them, then I realized the issue....my lx450 has a a343f transmission and mark's looks to have built their things for a442f transmission....

DSC02916.jpg

a442f_1.jpg

The battery box is supposed to help seal the heat from the engine bay from the battery. They are actually pretty nice with the rubber seal against the hood. Heat kills batteries and the 80's engine bay gets so damn hot! But I think with a vortec swap you will actually be cooler than with the 1FZ.

So, what's the point of these huge and bulky plastic trays? Why can't we have something like slee makes for 200 series. Mike at steel nutz who made my radiator makes these at least for passenger side on the 80s.

View attachment 1312760

starter wiring question, ih1 pin 21, b-w should be the starter wire to the solenoid. should also be 12v when on start and 0v when "on"? correct? helping @AWESOMEvoltron wire his swap up and we were reading 12v from that wire when "on" and "start". is there another wire to tap or are we going about this all wrong?

Correct on description. Should be +12v only when in start position. This is the signal from the ignition switch to the actual starter to engage/start. It is pre-park/neutral switch.. after that switch it is black/red and should only see +12v if the shifter is in Park or Neutral.

I would make sure it's not backfeeding from somewhere else.. disconnect the ECU connectors and cruise computer connectors then recheck. If still acting weird, check at the ignition switch.

From a quick scan of the ECU and Starting/ignition EWD I don't see anything else obvious that it could be.

I may have an A442F with only 82k miles for sale very shortly and I am only 15 minutes away from you!

i was going to use the stock exhaust but i am trying to stay cheap lol.

what do you all think about this muffler? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14589

What about a resonator? needed or not needed? if so, a recommendation would be nice....
I've had a lot of drone with magnaflows; currently using the Borla ProXS on my swap as Borla (and Corsa for that matter) have no drone in my experience on various vehicles. But Corsa doesn't make a plug n play for our application. But depends on how much noise you're looking for, as the ProXS is more of a touring exhaust sound vs sport.

Correct on description. Should be +12v only when in start position. This is the signal from the ignition switch to the actual starter to engage/start. It is pre-park/neutral switch.. after that switch it is black/red and should only see +12v if the shifter is in Park or Neutral.

I would make sure it's not backfeeding from somewhere else.. disconnect the ECU connectors and cruise computer connectors then recheck. If still acting weird, check at the ignition switch.

From a quick scan of the ECU and Starting/ignition EWD I don't see anything else obvious that it could be.

for some reason, it seems the cruise control ecu was bleeding voltage over to the circuit. unplugging the connector from the cruise ecu fixed the problem....

he doesnt need a trans lol
I got that after we spoke in pm's. I was up late last night trying to catch up with his thread when I came across his shifter problem. I should have read a little being that looking at all of the pretty pictures didn't tell the whole story. I remember as I was typing that response, I wonder why he is using that trans!

I've had a lot of drone with magnaflows; currently using the Borla ProXS on my swap as Borla (and Corsa for that matter) have no drone in my experience on various vehicles. But Corsa doesn't make a plug n play for our application. But depends on how much noise you're looking for, as the ProXS is more of a touring exhaust sound vs sport.

ok, about to pull the trigger on exhaust....I think I am going with the borla pro xs. I'm also going to order up their resonator as well. I don't want this thing to be loud at all....I've got to do 2.25" from headers to the cats, and then it will be 3" the rest of the way.

Found some radiator hoses that fit....

20160901_211136.jpg
20160901_211429.jpg

Dayco 71013 for lower, 71965 for upper, upper needs to be trimmed and it will get pulled down a bit to make room for intake.

Tapped the fuel tank today for pressure sensor, put the stock brake switch back in and did some plumbing for power steering system. Need to get coolers mounted and I THINK all the plumbing will be done. Ordered new pins for the pcm since most wires are super long.

20160831_174218.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom