How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just registered to say thank you so much to getco for creating this!! I found this thread linked from the Prius forums. I installed the Vbox image on my 2012 Macbook and was able to get it running with my $21 cable from Ebay (this one).

The first time I tried to do a health check, Techstream could only connect to 5 of the 16 ECUs and none of the important ones. I quit and tried again and got a "cannot connect to VIM" error. So then I went off trying to install the slightly newer copy of Techstream from the Ebay seller on a VirtualBox image of Windows 10 I already had. Spent a couple hours on that, using modifications for 64-bit, and it never ended up working.

I came back to the Windows XP version and tried a health check and it worked perfectly! So if you get errors, make sure you try restarting everything, unplugging, turning the car off, et cetera a few times before you give up!

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II interface. One option:
- Amazon product ASIN B06XGB714M ($20, Prime)

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-Win.exe
- MacOS: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.

Is there a way to install techstrem directly to a Windows 10 Computer??

I followed all of these instructions and it is just basically instilling an oracle program so my windows 10 computer will run XP and subsequently Techstream through XP on my Windows 10.

But it is so insanely slow that it is almost not usable. Is there a downloadable link for a Windows 10?

I followed all of these instructions and it is just basically instilling an oracle program so my windows 10 computer will run XP and subsequently Techstream through XP on my Windows 10.

But it is so insanely slow that it is almost not usable. Is there a downloadable link for a Windows 10?

The attached information may be helpful.

Attachments

• Techstream in Win10 x 64bit and MiniVCI - Detailed How To Guide - 23JAN18.pdf
    187.3 KB · Views: 2,029

You could buy Techstream lite from toyota for about $1500.

The point of this thread is to run an old version in XP-VirtualBox. You can work with your PC bios virtualization settings and then assign more resources to the VM perhaps to get this working faster.

Last edited:
Amazon link to the cable in post #1 is no longer available. Anybody have another link to a cable that worked? I'd like to get a good one first time out.

the problem is the software and drivers are written for x32 based windows. the PDF IndroCruise linked to should work but you may still have problems with the app itself

have you tried increasing the ram available to the virtual machine? select the TechStream VM in the VB Manager and then hit the settings gear and then go to system and bump the ram up to 2048mb (2gb) any higher wont help because 32bit windows has a max usable limit

OK, VirtualBox (macOS ) seems to be installed, although I got an error at the end of installation. Downloaded techstream, but when I try to run it, I get an error (see pic). I do not have the cable yet. Any insight into this error? I know the cable has a chip, so does the cable need to be installed for techstream to load?
techstream error.jpg

you shouldnt need the FTDI driver installed in the VM until you plug in the cable.

this seems to be an OSX error

Thanks. Yes I did eventually get this sorted out. When I first installed VB I got the message about allowing Oracle in the Privacy settings. I allowed Oracle in the settings, rebooted but still had no joy running VB. It took another three uninstalls before the Allow box would appear again in Privacy. This time clicking on Allow and rebooting worked! A case of third time lucky and I'm sure the fault lies with High Sierra.

eta - start at the last page of that thread and work backwards it looks like an update issue with OSX versions and VirtualBox versions

ETA ETA: easier fix

I got VirtualBox installed and running on Mac OS Mojave. These instructions did the trick... How to Install VirtualBox in MacOS Mojave if Installation Fails or Shows Kernel Driver Errors

Got techstream running as well, but getting pop up blocker messages when I try to get into TIS and screen sizing has been flaky as well. Need to get a cable now and see what my LC tells me.

its because of the way IE6 handles popups. install chrome and set it as the default browser (it will have a toolbar notifications saying you wont have any updates because XP is no longer supported, but it will work)

HOWEVER - if you dont have a dealer employee login you wont be able to log in to TISWEB anyways

i tried 3 cables with 1.4.1 version. Nothing works with camry 2011. Then i found Amazon product ASIN B07BMPYS4S . Little higher but not $5000. It works. I can connect to DATA LIST and see the ATF temp now. Your method works with the virualbox but need some new cable firmware version 2.0.4

I got VirtualBox installed and running on Mac OS Mojave. These instructions did the trick... How to Install VirtualBox in MacOS Mojave if Installation Fails or Shows Kernel Driver Errors

Got techstream running as well, but getting pop up blocker messages when I try to get into TIS and screen sizing has been flaky as well. Need to get a cable now and see what my LC tells me.

Which approach did you use? When I went to the security settings, there was no message saying "system software from Oracle was blocked...". I didn't try the Gatekeeper yet. I tried to install on a MBP with OSMojave and an MBAir with OSCatalina. On both, I got a message saying "The system extension 'VBoxDrv.kext' is not compatible with this version of macOS and can't be used. Please contact the developer for updated software." No error like that was mentioned in the article above, so I am reluctant to try the Gatekeeper fix since I know so little about computers.

I can/did install a new Virtual Box 6.0 version from the Virtual Box website, but that doesn't really help me out. I need Windows and all the work Getco did setting it up.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I found your post. It was absolutely awesome. I needed it to program a new key. I was definitely on the struggle bus with some of the options I came across first. But this was perfect "right out of the box." Thank you very much!

I've the virtualbox (updated) window running and V2 cable and Techstream 12.20.024. Seems to work fine, althought took three trys to open. Thanks @getco :)

I've questions for anyone that can help:

For now I'm not letting the PC (win 10) I installed this in, on the internet. I know in my old PC running XP (without a virtualbox) and after a few uses would ask for key code and shut me out. Keeping off internet and no virus protection on, solved that. I'd like to be able to log onto internet when using this on my win 10 PC and up. Can we with fear of than needing a key code or getting shut out?

Isn't there a 64bit version that works on win 10 plus.. I've seen some cable advertised in ebay that claim win 10 64bit compatible?

Where can I acquired the latest version 14.10.028?

Using the virtualbox OVA in the first post to get it up and running with Techstream 12.20.024.
I then acquired the latest version 14.10.028 and performed the upgrade. Copied the main menu application from the extras folder into the C:\Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream\bin folder and now have the latest version working ;)
Probably wont change/add anything for our older model 100's but good for folks who own newer models, aka my wife's 2018 RAV4.

View attachment 2038629

Apologies if this has been brought up in previous posts but I only went a few pages back.

Thanks @planomateo

"Believe the latest version is 14.30.022, you can find it on obdii365 (use at your own risk)" What's the concern?

I've been using V10.**.*** for a few years. Works fine on 100 series. But I did have issue not read all data in the 200 series. May have been a glitch or could be Version was to old IDK. So I like update V on hand next time I'm inspecting a 200 series..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom