How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it were me in your situation (running virtualbox), I'd create another instance and test out the new version. Don't put your working instance at risk. This is one of the beauties of using a virtualization.

Risks would be - may not work, potential malware, etc.

Curious, In the process of setting techstream up. Can techstream recalibrate an occupant detection sensor for an air bag warning and code B1650?

Looks like I found a Windows laptop to borrow for a while so grabbing the techstream. Is the cable linked in the first post still the optimal one?

I second this question...
I ended up just purchasing this one as I did not see any others on amazon that had a higher version chip or updated software. This one is kinda middle of the ground cost wise. Should have in a day or so, gotta love PRIME shipping.

Don't know if it's the 'optimal' cable, but the one listed works just fine with all the software presented in this thread. Some of the cables at Amazon look as if they come with an updated version of TechStream, but the updates aren't going to do anything for 20yo trucks (that this version doesn't, anyway).

Ok another dumb question... Has anyone tried using that Toyota Techstream software or doing a VB on something like a Chromebook?

Well borrowed a buddies extra laptop (he's one of our agency programmers) and was able to get Vbox and Techstream installed.
Funny thing is it actually took longer to get the stupid .ova file downloaded than it did to get anything done.

Found out that my '98 has a maximum of 8 transponder key slots, regardless of Master of Valet designation. So I went through and deleted all the keys then added mine back in. Once I figured out the process of key in, key out, process, new key, hit next within X seconds dance I got them all programmed pretty quickly.

Was a bit bummed that I didn't see anything at all under the customization settings. Mind you I didn't play with it much other than doing the keys tonight as the laptop was dying quickly (wasn't charged apparently). But process was seriously easy. I do have a slight rough idle at times that I was curious about and did note that I had a misfire noted on cylinder #5 for a short period. When the truck first started up. Still need to take it out and have it do a full diagnostics run to see what all is actually going on, but initial seems perfectly fine.

And @planomateo awesome on the Winbook. Was looking at getting a used Lenovo Thinkpad T420 off ebay for less than $100 to run it on when needed. Hell could even offer my diagnostic and key transponder programming service to other Toyota owners I know for a few bucks and make up the cost of the laptop and cable pretty quickly I am sure.

Hey Mac users. Is it just me or is running techstream a real PITA?!

I've downloaded virtualbox, techstream, bought the cable - great.

Now try to create a working virtual machine - oh crap now i need a bootable version of windows. WTF do i get THAT?

Anyone with a Mac been through this? Any tips?

Now try to create a working virtual machine - oh crap now i need a bootable version of windows. WTF do i get THAT?

Negative. You download the techstream .ova file from the link in the first post. Open Vbox and the import the .ova file via the import function. I did the same thing as you then realized I was doing it wrong.

I wasn’t able to use the version in this thread on my Mac. If you start from scratch you can download and install Win10 for free from Microsoft. It will sometimes ask you to register it, but works fine for Techstream without registration. Only problem I have on my Mac is the VBox is a small window. I haven’t chased down that fix yet.

I ended up just purchasing this one as I did not see any others on amazon that had a higher version chip or updated software. This one is kinda middle of the ground cost wise. Should have in a day or so, gotta love PRIME shipping.

can you link the one you ordered? I was looking this morning but the ones I saw on amazon that weren't $70 had no reviews. Is it worth paying the $70 since it comes with the software?

I have the most recent gen Mac Book and Tech Stream runs just fine. I downloaded the newest version (6.1) from the Oracle website below, and the Tech Stream image fromthe Mega link. Then, just Double click the Mega file from the first post and it will show up in Virtualbox.

VirtualBox 6.1 Download Link

I have the most recent gen Mac Book and Tech Stream runs just fine. I downloaded the newest version (6.1) from the Oracle website below, and the Tech Stream image fromthe Mega link. Then, just Double click the Mega file from the first post and it will show up in Virtualbox.

VirtualBox 6.1 Download Link
So no one is worried about giving MEGA their personal information?

Has anyone tried the kits that are $69 that come with the software from Amazon? is it worth spending that much?

I bought one for $30 on eBay and the disc didn’t work. Just get a VCI cable and use the instructions in the first post.

Are all the VCI cables the same? there's no specific firmware or anything is there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom