Home Made Plate Front Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Next on the build list is a new front bumper for my 80. The winch tray is 5/16, the top/front is 3/16 and the bottom part of the wing is 1/4" plate. Almost done plating the bumper, just need to finish the sides. The recovery points mount right in front of the frame, and they are welded front and back through the 5/16" plate. The slanted openings directly below the recovery points are going to have high lift jack points built in. I have a Warn XD9000 thats going to go in it, and the solenoid is going to be mounted inside the engine bay.

Im also going to bend a small section of 1.5" tubing for a Vision X LED light bar that will mount right above the winch on those 2 small triangles.

Should have the plate work and wing gussets done after class tomorrow! :bounce::clap:
DSC02432.jpg
DSC02453.jpg
DSC02452.jpg

Nice work. I want to build one like this someday.

Looks great, can't wait to see the final product!!

Looks awsome. What model plasma do you have? Also what do you think the cost of materials were? I been tossing around building one.

Looks awsome. What model plasma do you have? Also what do you think the cost of materials were? I been tossing around building one.

Thanks fellas.

The plasma is a Hypertherm Powermax 45. REALLY nice machine! I went sideways on a sheet of ice a few months back and put the cruiser into a tree. I did all the repairs myself, and then the bodywork with a friend, so that saved me a TON of money. I used the rest of the insurance money to buy the plasma and all the materials for the bumper. Ill check my receipts and add up all the cost of materials.

Looks great - and very timely for me as I plan to build a bumper this summer. Just trashed mine this weekend on the trail. I really like your design. Keep the pics coming as you finish it!

Excellent design - just the way I would want to build one, and just might copy, to an extent.

I like the fact that it is tucked in and does not protrude outward as much as some after market bumpers tend to do.

attachment.php

how much? ill take the front with a matching rear and sliders. :grinpimp:

very very nice :flipoff2:

Looks great - and very timely for me as I plan to build a bumper this summer. Just trashed mine this weekend on the trail. I really like your design. Keep the pics coming as you finish it!

Excellent design - just the way I would want to build one, and just might copy, to an extent.

I like the fact that it is tucked in and does not protrude outward as much as some after market bumpers tend to do.

Thanks guys! Sounds good to me, thats why I figured I'd post up. Ive seen a lot of massive bumpers on 80's and wanted to make one that was low profile and tight to the truck.

This is the bumper I had on my Rover, and as you can see the clearance is huge. I didnt want to go that skinny though, but I do like the look of a low profile bumper.
n681261299_849856_5518.jpg

I like the low profile also, keeping track on your build, and will take a road trip to your neck of the sand to pick one up if this goes to production.

Sweet design - like how you bolted the frame mounts right through the frame. Must weigh a bit with the winch being feet down....

I would love to see some more pictures. This is just the thing I want to do! Simply awesome. Could you post up diminsions/plans of waht you did, and what you might change?

Thanks,

Beautiful welds on that recovery point:beer:

i disagree.
pretty? yes.
but it's not a solid bead, it's a series of tacks, on top of that it has the look of being run down hill. hard wire and down hill are not the strongest beads.
not saying it's bad, just what i see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom