Builds HJ61 Cruiser build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New calipers are in. Tried rebuilding/resealing the 4rnr ones, but they still stick on the right side. Fxxx it, will take them off and put stockers on. Drums, shoes, calipers and pads are all in, hopefully i'll get it done in a week or so, if temperatures calm down a bit, heavy cold right now.
Maybe i should paint them, since they rust in a week.
2017-12-11 14.21.33.jpg

Cleaned up the ATC bag, really happy with it. It lives in the truck now, and with me in other trucks as well.
i'm saving up for another one, for all my woodworking tools.
2017-12-02 23.17.49.jpg

2017-12-02 22.57.12.jpg

Went to the south to pick up another LJ73, 88 model. 2300km away. Bought it unseen, to service and make it like a cruiser should be for a friend.
This is the 2nd owner driving it out of its heated garage, been living in there for the last 13 years, just plowing his driveway a few times a year.
2017-12-03 17.03.19.jpg

Stopped by a fellow OB member after an hours drive. I ordered wheels from euro4x4parts, studded continental ice contact 2 in 245/75r16, a perfect fit for the 73!! And what a grip! I must say, they outperform my hakkas in noice, grip, traction, and braking. The hakka LT is better in the wet and slushy, and in deep snow.

My friend is pleased with the new tires!
2017-12-03 19.53.18.jpg

These were sold for cheap:
2017-12-05 18.25.13.jpg

First fuel up in years, everything is good, just a wobble in front DS and loose pinion on front. Bad exhaust, rattling and will be gone soon.
2017-12-03 21.22.37.jpg

nice tires!
received_1640126976054496.jpeg

The further north we got, the worse the weather. Temperatures were dropping, and the engine temp did not stay up, so carbord in front of the radiator to the rescue, glad we had pizza for lunch!
2017-12-09 11.08.31.jpg

in several areas the traffic was stopped completely, the task of clearing the snow was just too big in some mountain passes.
2017-12-09 14.19.14.jpg

Driving right behind the plow truck:
2017-12-09 15.37.25.jpg

All went well, spending about 46 hours driving. A good cruiser that just needs a bit of fixing, will be able to register it after dealing with the front diff, the knuckles, exhaust, driveshaft and minor rust issues. cool! and i love having 5 cruisers on the property!

Happy new year everyone! -not much done on the 61, but fiddling a bit with the ladys lj73. The 2LT engine is not copperating fully in the cold... we've had weeks of -15-30 degrees, hurts to be out sometimes. like today, the 73 turns over, but still will not fire. Installed new glow plugs, has a month old fuel filter, PO rigged a wilson switch so glow is good. But today she had to take the 61 to work, as hers wouldnt fire at all. Starter just runs, but no smoke so i guess fuel is frozen. Even with extra conditioner/westfrost in it. Hose heater also plugged in... first time a 2LT has let me stranded. Now the 12HT fired right up in -20 after sitting for a few days, no heater on, so thats mint!

progress on the shop build is a bit slow due to the cold and snow, but getting closer every day.
2018-01-05 16.48.18.jpg

We've had some days down to -32c, hard to do anything then:
2017-12-27 21.06.35.jpg

Exept snap a few of the northern lights, sorry for the bad phone picture:
2017-12-27 22.23.35.jpg

Holy crap that's cold.
Yeah, a bit. Not abnormal, usually a few weeks like this in february, uncommon around christmas.

oh, and the second 73 cuiser did not hesitate to fire up. but it has no plates, so cant use it much on the roads ;)

love your pictures. at least you've got snow to play in when its that cold. we just went through -45c over christmas but not enough snow to play in. can't even snowmobile (not that i want to be out in that cold but snow somehow makes the cold worthwhile).

Hurra! The roof is on, at least for now, shingles and details will be done in the spring. Next is sealing up and closing the other walls, shopping for isolated gates now, spendy...

Cruisers are in, getting closer.
2018-01-25 23.06.16.jpg

Well, cruiser shop is coming along slowly. Next up is isolating and plating the inside roof in the shop section.
I'm just halfway done on getting the 2-3 inches of ice out off the concrete, so that's at least a full day left of elbow greasing, without scoring the concrete.
I'm just a bit behind schedule since i can only squeeze in a few hours a week during evenings.
Cant Wait to close it up and get some heat going, still going between -15 to -30 deg celcius.
4 out of 5 cruisers in this shot:

2018-02-25 13.38.23.jpg

Lost all by flashers, killing the fuse. I dont like driving around without flashers, so dug into it, checked all ground and connections, found a corrugated grund behind all the relays in the drivers kick panel, and the relay was faulty. I have a stash of electricals off an donor rig, and when i found a working relay i was back in business!! I love that feeling, using a part from 81 so solve the crisis is a win!
81 and 86' flasher relays. Same but different!
2018-02-14 22.09.02.jpg

Did both drum brakes in the rear. Had the brakes pulling to the right and a leaking wheel cylinder, i guess it was original.
Now cylinders, shoes, springs, fluid and drums are new.
2018-03-20 15.10.47.jpg

Brakes nice, but does not lock up, even on slippery snow.
Might need a bit more tensioning, as there is 11 clicks on the e-brake.
seem to remember 7 clicks in fsm?
Rubber on boomerang/bellcrank was shot, so i had so source one from the LJ70 parts truck.
Found one of the bolts to the aluminum holder rusted and broken, so it had to be mushroom-welded to get out.
2018-03-20 16.22.43.jpg

this is a really odd solution from toyota, an aluminum bracket with steel bolts and a steel arm in it.
Had the same issue on all 20-30 toys ive been wrenching on. I see they used the same part until 2009 on some cruisers and the tundra. Why?

2018-03-20 16.26.31.jpg

The upper arm is from the lj70, lower from the 60.
Mount and rubber is the same, only the boomerang is different.
Had to weld and claim a bolt also from the donor, since its a odd size.
filled it with synthethic aluminum grease, hopefully will work for another brake service.
2018-03-20 16.37.32.jpg

2018-03-20 16.37.32.jpg

All is good now in the rear, will tune the adjustment a bit and order complete new boomerang/bell crank for next service. I might fiddle with the LSPV to see if i can get a bit more braking in the rear.

Went to do the front, as i bought new calipers. Previous ones seized up in the outside parameter of the piston, looks like the rubber has not sealed very well.
They are prepped, painted and ready to go in.
Only a few minor fixes left before i can go to the Car Inspection for another 2 years of legal rig on the road.

I really like your thread...keep it coming!!

Thanks! Even though small service might not seem interesting, this thread works very well as my service record when trying to remember when I did what

Cheers

Calipers are painted, and inside the rubber seals there is heat-resistant alu grease.
-will hopefully keep rust away a bit better this time.
Tried 4 light coats of 3M hi-heat-paint. Time will show!
2018-03-21 15.34.44.jpg

Working on cleaning up the new (to me) driveshafts, bought together with some other minor stuff from cruiserparts.eu in Holland.
They have great customer service, and shipped fast.
A bit more elbow grease, and they go in with new pinion seals. Just noticed the rear pinion was a bit sloppy, i'll try setting it again.
2018-03-21 20.28.23.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom