Hamom for father of soldier killed in Iraq- Part Un (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

check the toy epc first to see if they are all the same part number, I think the gauge works on resistance,, and I seem to remember the temp sensor for my 78 is the same as for my 88.....

Dont' forget 2F's are notorious for getting air bubbles.

check the toy epc first to see if they are all the same part number.....
Thanks for the suggestion but I have no clue what this means.
I think I might buy an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge for now. I'll just need to figure out where/ how to install it.

i searched through the EPC for ya .and it shows a few different senders what month was the cruiser built. if before 72/09 then it looks like it needs a sender for 69/03- 72/09 FJ40 if it is later than that month .

then you can use a sender from a 73-79 toyota Corona,cressida ,minitruck,landcruiser should be able to get one from your local autoparts store.

toy #'s for sender

early 69-72 #83420-20010
after 73-79 #83420 20011

did a search on napa online between different year cruisers it shows
a different after market sender for 69-79 than to a 1986 cruiser
so the sender to guage may be incompatible. ??

:cheers: Jake

Hello Everyone,
Here's a question regarding over heating. Since the temp gauge in the dash is for the 40, and the sending unit is from an 86 something, would that cause the temp gauge to "read" incorrectly? I can install an under dash temp gauge if needed. What do ya'll think?

I know what is causeing the overheating.

You don't have a fan shroud. That is going to be the main reason it won't heat.

Problem is you cannot just put any shroud on it. Needs to have an opening as big as a 60 series but with mountings like a 40 series.

I might have a solution but I will need a fan shroud to modify. Since I have the same engine combo in my cruiser I could mock one up.

I just don't have an extra fan shroud.

Anyone?

I have an extra... the one you sent didn't fit so I still have it if that will work?

I can learn to burp the system, as long as I don't have to put the 40 on my shoulder and pat it. Also, I
have a dremal tool and can cut down the fan to fit a shroud.
Steve, I'll call you for burping instructions.

Last edited:
so what do you need a 60 fan shroud or a 40 fan shroud?

I know what is causeing the overheating.

You don't have a fan shroud. That is going to be the main reason it won't heat.

Problem is you cannot just put any shroud on it. Needs to have an opening as big as a 60 series but with mountings like a 40 series.

I might have a solution but I will need a fan shroud to modify. Since I have the same engine combo in my cruiser I could mock one up.

I just don't have an extra fan shroud.

Anyone?

After driving it around last week that is just what I was going to suggest. The Cruiser runs Great :steer: Joni and I went for a Cruise downtown and I noticed it was overheating. The Shroud will make a world of diffrence

I know I am late to the issue hear, but might the over heating be contributed to more than the absent fan shroud? From my understanding the the fan shroud plays its greatest role when you are sitting and idling or moving slowly allowing the fan to pull air flow through the radiator. It doesn't have as much of an influence when you are driving around at speed.

So I guess what I am getting at is that if the 40 is overheating while driving around it might be as john or steve suggest air in the line somewhere or some other issue..... if it is only overheating in traffic just ignore my comments :D

I am a "fair" fabricator. If I had a shroud I could probably modify it to fit.

i searched through the EPC for ya .and it shows a few different senders what month was the cruiser built. if before 72/09 then it looks like it needs a sender for 69/03- 72/09 FJ40 if it is later than that month .

then you can use a sender from a 73-79 toyota Corona,cressida ,minitruck,landcruiser should be able to get one from your local autoparts store.

toy #'s for sender

early 69-72 #83420-20010
after 73-79 #83420 20011

did a search on napa online between different year cruisers it shows
a different after market sender for 69-79 than to a 1986 cruiser
so the sender to guage may be incompatible. ??

:cheers: Jake

Thanks Jake. I really think the temp gauge is important whether there's an overheating problem or not.

I just went to Man-A-Fre's web site and looked at a fan shroud. It doesn't look like it'd be hard to fab one. (I looked at fan shroud for 4plus aluminum v-8 radiator kit) I think I could use this as a guide to fab one up.

Regarding the overheating:
What is the condition of the radiator?
a) Was it brand new?
b) Was it a used radiator that 'over hauled' before installation? (i.e., boiled and/or rodded out at a radiator shop before installing?)
c) Used, but assumed to be in good condition?

Heat transfer is the key to the radiator.
  • The shroud helps the efficiency of the fan by reducing flow spilling at the tips, plus pulls air more uniformly over the surface of the radiator.
  • The water flow passages in the radiator distribute the water to all the cooling fin surface area for heat exchange.

If the either or both are not performing well, then the radiator can't transfer as much heat as it theoretically could.
Maybe it is a combination of a couple of factors?

Regarding the overheating:
What is the condition of the radiator?
a) Was it brand new?

It is original I think.

b) Was it a used radiator that 'over hauled' before installation? (i.e., boiled and/or rodded out at a radiator shop before installing?)

Not unless Josh did this before he was deployed.

c) Used, but assumed to be in good condition?

Yes.

Heat transfer is the key to the radiator.
  • The shroud helps the efficiency of the fan by reducing flow spilling at the tips, plus pulls air more uniformly over the surface of the radiator.
  • The water flow passages in the radiator distribute the water to all the cooling fin surface area for heat exchange.

If the either or both are not performing well, then the radiator can't transfer as much heat as it theoretically could.
Maybe it is a combination of a couple of factors?

I answered your questions within your quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom