Hamom for father of soldier killed in Iraq- Part Un (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IIRC the radiator looked in good shape and was bright green coolant before the overhaul.

Steve,
This would indicate fresh coolant, but the radiator could still have a internal restrictions and blocked passages. Just trying to look at all possibilities.

Is it easier to just do this incrementally?
Shroud, then test. If good done. If overheating persists; boil and rod the radiator, retest. (and so on with less likely causes)

I fabed up a Ford aerostar shroud on my V-8 conversion. Do some measuring and Junkyard searching!!! P.S. We need to get that cruiser running! James your missing another great ride. I'm headed to the Spring Tide Ride with the NC Boys on the OuterBanks.:p:p:p Can you say Low Country Boil!!!:cheers:

Jared and I are enjoying driving it around Athens. It'll be nice when the 4 wheel drive works. There's some forest roads not too far from here we'd like to travel.

Jared and I are enjoying driving it around Athens. It'll be nice when the 4 wheel drive works. There's some forest roads not too far from here we'd like to travel.

I wish you had said something about the 4 wheel drive :D We could have checked it out, also I lost your address :eek: Thanks

James:

I have a '71 fj40 and just got through fixing my overheating problem.

What I found is this: I removed my 2 year old thermostat and testing in a pot of boiling water. I inserted a candy thermometer in the pot with the thermostat. When the water temperature reached 180 degrees the thermostat pushed open, as it should.

Since I had purchased a replacement thermostat, I put this new one in place. Now my 40 runs cool again (180 degrees).

Go figure.

BTW: What is up with all this advertising crap on our threads? I think we ought to shoot all these advertising people on sight.

Oh wait...I'm one of those:rolleyes:

Last edited:
James:

I have a '71 fj40 and just got through fixing my overheating problem.

What I found is this: I removed my 2 year old thermostat and testing in a pot of boiling water. I inserted a candy thermometer in the pot with the thermostat. When the water temperature reached 180 degrees the thermostat pushed open, as it should.

Since I had purchased a replacement thermostat, I put this new one in place. Now my 40 runs cool again (180 degrees).

Go figure.

BTW: What is up with all this advertising crap on our threads? I think we ought to shoot all these advertising people on sight.

Oh wait...I'm one of those:rolleyes:

You don't have a mud silver star. If you get one all or most of the adds go away.

I'm camping. I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon.
I'm pulling the 40 with the 4runner. Jared and Katy are coming in a separate vehicle. I'm really excited about this trip.

Man, it was good to see you. Hanna is really pretty.
Jean told me to tell you, you should have come through Watkinsville to get to TN. You need to "drop" by more often.
Ant_Han.jpg

Hi Guys,
I just wanted to check and see if the most current parts needed list is still the one in this thread, on page one?

Brian.

Hi Guys,
I just wanted to check and see if the most current parts needed list is still the one in this thread, on page one?

Brian.

Hey Brian, thanks for checking in. Things are in the works for an update - sorry it hasn't been posted yet. We have a bunch of parties working together on this and I need to get down to the Reeves for a check-in so please stay tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom