GX470 Wheel/Tire/Lift Picture Combination Thread (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone feel they need to change gears with the 285's? Is is safe to say the 285's rub??? Or are some of you getting no rub with them and not changing gears?? It's decision time today!

In my opinion, there’s no need to regear in order to run 285/70s. The GX470 handles them pretty well with stock gears.

The rubbing issue has to do with rim offset and the wheel cavity being so tightly designed for 31” tires at 10.4” width.

I replaced the rims to 17x9 with -12 offset for my 285/70/17 BFG KOs which are essentially 32.7” tall by 11.2” wide. I also added TC UCAs. I have opor sliders. I have a 2.5” lift. Still rubs on front only and only in full turns when parking or making a u-turn. This little rubbing is Not at problem at this point even off-roading.

I also have an oem spare 265/65/17 on oem rim that’s 2” shorter than my running wheels. Still trying to figure this out. I’m diving deep into e rated tires vs d rated vs c rated. Arghhh.

Went with Old Man Emu 2.5” front and year.
Factory Lexus 17” Wheels
Bfg ko2 275/70/17

EFF95BAD-5759-4DC4-8C5C-B694CC196A88.jpeg

CF952263-AF4E-482A-8048-27A3AE8C5A78.jpeg

Anyone feel they need to change gears with the 285's? Is is safe to say the 285's rub??? Or are some of you getting no rub with them and not changing gears?? It's decision time today!

I regeared to 4.56 for my 315/70R17s, and I like the responsiveness. My aftermarket bumpers, skids, sliders and winch added more weight so I went with 4.56 instead of 4.11. I'm glad I did.

The GX's engine can handle alot (285s, ...) at 3.73 but it will probably feel sluggish, RPMs will go down, and your transmission might not shift into overdrive on the freeway. Mileage will drop alot if you care about such things. I do.

With 285s, I suspect 3.73 will do better but 4.11 will put you back to RPM spec and it will feel more responsive. And more torque on the trails!

Also, heavier tires like 285 KO2s (50-60 lbs) add quite a bit to the unsprung weight over stock, so consider 4.56, not just 4.11.

Coming from an FZJ80 with 33s, the GX470 is not sluggish even with 285s.

4.56 and 35s are just right

How did you keep it looking like you didn't remove the running boards. If that makes sense. Like that tacky stupid part that shows when you remove the running boards, you still have this clean line, like part of the running board.
You can cut the part the joins to the rocker panel off of the running board and clip it back in place. I ran mine without it for a long time and it looked kinda bad.

You can cut the part the joins to the rocker panel off of the running board and clip it back in place. I ran mine without it for a long time and it looked kinda bad.

Yep.

xQFwzex.png

Wheels: 17x9 Fuel Offroad Vector -12mm offset
Tires: 315/70R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro
Spacers: None
Lift: Toytec Boss Kit with SPC UCA, and Metaltech LT rear springs and upper and lower control arms
Other mods: rear sway bar removed, body mount chop, 4.56 nitro gears

Wheels: FJC 8 hole
Tires: Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 255/75 R17
No lift...yet. Everything else stock.

20171113_165331.jpg

Tires: Michelin LTX A/T 2
wheels stock
No lift yet, all else stock.
A few comments on these tires. I'm doing a slow build as the GX converts from mom/little kids car into overlander/camper. It didn't make sense for me to put on BFGs or similar w/out a lift for 2~ years or so and less off road action until the kids are bigger. But I will be off road at least several times a year and wanted something that works in sand and on trails. The guy at Discount tire suggested this tire saying it is the quietest all terrain. No way for me to know that but there is no discernible road noise difference between the new ones and my old nearly bald Michelin all seasons. 2nd, with 14/32nds of tread depth and a bit of a side edge they are definitely a step up from an all season, I'll call them all terrain "lite".

IMG_3980.JPG
IMG_3986.JPG

At some point in the near future I’ll be going up to a 34” tire and not re-gearing. I think if you want to go 35’s or larger, I’d consider 4.88’s. Even when I was at stock height, my 285’s only rubbed very slightly. My 285/60/18’s are a 31.4” tire.

At some point in the near future I’ll be going up to a 34” tire and not re-gearing. I think if you want to go 35’s or larger, I’d consider 4.88’s. Even when I was at stock height, my 285’s only rubbed very slightly. My 285/60/18’s are a 31.4” tire.
The rear bumper trim came out really good. I presume this is as far as one would want to trim, to keep esthetics (looks cool) and functionality (expose the hitch to drag on rocks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom