Green sludge on front differential? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my Front diff and various other components have this green sludge on it. it gathered a decent puddle in about 3 hours. Idk what to refill and was wondering if yall had any ideas.

I dont have green coolant (its brown and needs to be changed), and theres no dye in the A/C. my engine oil isn't leakin and i dont think the diff gear oil is green either.

There seems to be water mixed in with is as well. see pics.

Any Ideas??

20160614_061251.jpg

20160614_061729.jpg

20160614_061217.jpg

Looks like grease mixed with water. How are the birfields? I would degrease the front axle and engine and start from there. Isolating the cause of a leak when everything is wet is next to impossible.

It does - and it's hard to tell from the camera angle where it is originating from. Your front diff should have a fill plug too - we see the drain plug in the pics. Did you happen to recently get an oil change at a corner chain? Did they show you a goofy card with spots on it showing the condition of your front/center/rear gear box oil?

My suspicion: They pulled the fill cap from the diff - bent it all to heck and back on it's way out then put it back in damaged.

Wow! Major leak.

It's doubtful it's oil through the seals into the knuckles and out with grease. I can't imagine it would cover the diff like that. It's likely from somewhere else.

Show us the fill plug on the front diff. I'm betting it is deformed. The oil leaking by has then blown back while driving to coat the rest of it.

I removed the fill plug and checked the level/added some. It was pretty much full, I couldn't add more than 30ml.
And the plug is in good condition, it's in the front and has no fluid around it.
The front diff fluid was the same color as this stuff.
Seeing that the front diff was full is really confusing

That's water mixed with gear oil. Do you do a lot of river crossings? Water can come in thru the axle seals, diff breather if its factory setup. Need to take apart everything, clean it, and replace the axle seals, in other words a birf job. It happened to me recently, not as bad.
Grasa leak.jpg

Looking at the pictures, doesn't look like it's been wheeled, not likely water? Where is the origin of the leak? Are the diff nuts properly torqued, is the diff gasket cracked/spit out at the top, pinion seal?

just this....Permatex® Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker - Permatex

I wouldn't waste my time with the stupid paper gaskets, unless you enjoy pulling your axles and dropping the diffs. I'd check my breather tube as well....had to have a lot of pressure build up to come out of the top of the 3rd. If breather isn't clogged, I'd keep looking for other leak possibilities.

But this is the front diff. Is a total diff removal required to access the gasket?

just this....Permatex® Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker - Permatex

I wouldn't waste my time with the stupid paper gaskets, unless you enjoy pulling your axles and dropping the diffs. I'd check my breather tube as well....had to have a lot of pressure build up to come out of the top of the 3rd. If breather isn't clogged, I'd keep looking for other leak possibilities.

Can the rtv be used without dropping the diff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom