FJ60 for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1984 Toyota Landcruiser

I saw this CL ad for an FJ60 here in the Tucson area for sale. I called the guy, who is a middleman for the owner. It's located in an airport hanger in Marana, AZ, and there is NO motor in the vehicle. I asked him why the steep price, and he said "well these are very sought after, and when restored they can go for double or triple the price." Well, to get to that price it has to be pretty cherry. So I said that I recently bought a running 60 for less and offered him $2,500. He said that there was no way the seller would go so low, despite there being no motor. He said there is also a box full of extra goodies, but did not specify what.

I am looking for MUD input on this find, as it is unlikely that anyone on this forum would pay that price.

Last edited:
Wow that guy is dreaming. You can buy a nice running and driving Fj60 in that price range.

I guess I could see if it the paint was prefect, interior was prefect and all it needed was a motor rebuilt (motor included)...then maybe. But that I wouldn't think it would be worth more than a grand.

People can ask whatever they want. There is absolutely no way that, anyone who knows Landcruisers, is going to give them that much for it. They are going up in value, but you are never going to get rich restoring one. If you got it cheap,say$500-$1000, you would spend close to $6000 for a motor with installation. If you could do it yourself, your still looking at $1500-$2500 for a completely rebuilt 2F. It will need paint,$2000-$4000 for a fair job and probably will need knuckle rebuild $350 and brakes and bearings and t-case rebuild and on and on and on. When it is all said and done, if you do the work yourself, you will be into it for over $10,000 easy. If you want to sell it for that kind of money,it will have to be really nice and you may still only make a couple thousand dollars. Not worth the effort unless you really want one and are planning on keeping it and driving it. Just my opinion from experience.

Last edited:
That is insane. IF you are into doing most of the work yourself and you are excited about this big of a project, I would offer him $1,000 pending a good inspection. If not, I would keep looking.

the 60 seems to be going up in value, but the appreciation curve is not that steep! Looks like a good project to pick up for 1k, but thats about it. I bought a running 84 for $2300 1 year ago.

It's $500 worth of headache, unless that box of goodies included a pound of Krugerrands.

Run, don't walk away. You will find a nice rig with patience.

The sad thing is how it will end up.
I tried to buy a car from and old guy for years, used to go by about once a month and if he was outside I'd chat with him. One day I saw a dumpster there and the car was gone. He had passed away and his daughter was cleaning the place out, the car had been hauled to the crusher a week before.
Id rather see something go to an enthusiast than be scrapped. Now if this was areasonable price and that Torfab Cummings kit was ready.............

just because it's rust free doesn't mean it still doesn't have thousands of dollars of body work to make the paint and trim pretty. even to just run it as is will cost 6-10k as previously mentioned. right now it's a parts truck. i bought my 62 for $2500 and drove it for five years before getting into my restomod

OK, now I feel really good about what I paid for mine. Can someone explain the tin foil covering everything? Is it to keep the crack fumes in or the devastating effects of the sun out? Either way, scrap prices. That paint isn't getting any younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom