FJ40 broke my heart yesterday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hardest part of a head gasket replacement is moving that heavy head in and out of the engine compartment. I replaced mine in about 4 hours several years back and would do it again before spending that much to have someone else do it. No way I would ever consider selling my 40 over a head gasket replacement, it's not as hard as it seems.

Head gasket is a very straightforward job. Easy enough to completely remove in one day and reinstall the next day and get back to driving. And if that’s all it is...your good.

HOWEVER:

You probably should take the head to a qualified machine shop and have it evaluated. Might need a valve job etc. etc. Get the head back in a couple of weeks from the shop...reinstall and get back to enjoying that great looking rig!👍

Keep the rig. Get the FSM for the 2F. Do a small task each day to remove the the head. You will realize how easy and simple it is. If you think about it as a whole it may appear daunting. I helped a friend take his head off with basic tools on his drive way. We could only work after 9p after his kids were tucked in. We worked each day from 9-10:30a. Made progress on very day. Took us a few days. We had it off. You learn And build confidence at no cost. These engines are great. Follow through with a reputable head builder and follow FSM to a tee. It should work great. Love your rig. Hard to get one of those again in the good a shape.

@YOTA4X4 - Sounds like you have an army of supporters behind you...and can ask questions as you tackle the project.

The MUD crew is passionate about cruisers and they want you to succeed and get back to having fun with it!!!!!

(You might even be able to find someone to lend a hand on the project.)

Link for repair manuals (posted in another location on MUD)

Repair Manuals

Head gasket is a very straightforward job. Easy enough to completely remove in one day and reinstall the next day and get back to driving. And if that’s all it is...your good.

HOWEVER:

You probably should take the head to a qualified machine shop and have it evaluated. Might need a valve job etc. etc. Get the head back in a couple of weeks from the shop...reinstall and get back to enjoying that great looking rig!👍

Like @John McVicker said. If you can't find a machine shop that can look at it in a timely manner, you can at least do the at home valve leak test with some gasoline or whatever. Plenty of youtube videos on how to do this.

If your engine oil is milky white (check the dipstick) drain it immediately and perhaps drain the coolant as well, then refill the engine with fresh oil and start it for 2-3 minutes. This will get fresh clean oil into the engine and no more water will get into the oil. At this point, you'd be ready to pull the head.

This forum (unlike 99% of others) is not full of knuckle-draggers and morons. You will truly not find better advice anywhere.

I pulled my 2F drivetrain a couple years back and had the head machined 0.030" and valves reground for $250. Bought an OEM gasket and a few parts, and I was all done for under $500. Very fun job. Many 2Fs do NOT need rings and bearings, unless they were abused or have super high miles. So, if you had good oil pressure and you pull the head and the cylinders look good, just leave it alone.

You may have put a ton of money in your FJ40, but doing a head gasket now is not a case of throwing good money after bad.

Steve

kind of a major stressor at a bad time but maybe i will sleep on it before making any huge decisions
This ^^^

Confirm the problem with a compression test
There are probably cruiserheads in your area that would be willing to help.

"repowering (with an Auto) for her to be able to drive."

Teach her to drive a stick!

My wife drives both the 40 and the 55. She hates it that the 55 gets more attention than the restored 40.

"repowering (with an Auto) for her to be able to drive."

Teach her to drive a stick!

My wife drives both the 40 and the 55. She hates it that the 55 gets more attention than the restored 40.

lol... she can kinda drive a stick, but there is a lot going on with an old 40 compared to my new Tacoma. Steering, braking, and shifting an FJ just isn’t the kind of thing she wants to do in an old vehicle. I’m REALLY attached to her (the wife i mean) and I wouldn’t want anything to upset that lol.

^dat there is wise.

With a little encouragement I'm sure she could pick it up. However, if she really does not want to, play chauffer.

We are hoping to make the 70 Series Meet & Greet in Sept.

Maybe she will drive the LJ77 off road.

As most have said, fix the head gasket (or have it fixed). Most likely, if you sell it you will want to kick yourself for a long time.

another point to make here. If you do want to sell it, and don't want to work on it that can be done, too. Having a running FJ40 as nice as yours looks will fetch way more than the $1,200ish it would take for someone else to fix it. If you have enough to cover the cost of having someone else do it and then sell it, you'll be way ahead. Two examples out of my life recently:

• I had an a 4runner that had a blown head gasket. We had it fixed for $1,000 and sold it for thousands more than we could have, had we left it inoperable. probably came out of $2,000 - $2,500 better because we fixed it before selling, and I felt much better selling it with the quality recent work that was done.
  • I recently had two burnt valves on my 60's 2F. I should have listened to MUD and pulled the head myself and sent it out. I didn't. It cost way too much for a mechanic to do a less than satisfactory job and I ended up going back into it and fixing all kinds of other stuffy myself. I've sworn off mechanics from here on out, learned a ton about the truck and myself and now have a fine running 60 that is an absolute blast to drive.
If you have some mechanically inclination, and it sounds like you do, you absolutely can change out a head gasket yourself.

Fix the head gasket, rekindle your romance with your 40👍 Teach wife to drive it as well, she just might fall in love with the brutal simplicity of it. They truly are like no other. BTW, Awful nice looking rig you have there sir!

another point to make here. If you do want to sell it, and don't want to work on it that can be done, too. Having a running FJ40 as nice as yours looks will fetch way more than the $1,200ish it would take for someone else to fix it. If you have enough to cover the cost of having someone else do it and then sell it, you'll be way ahead. Two examples out of my life recently:

• I had an a 4runner that had a blown head gasket. We had it fixed for $1,000 and sold it for thousands more than we could have, had we left it inoperable. probably came out of $2,000 - $2,500 better because we fixed it before selling, and I felt much better selling it with the quality recent work that was done.
  • I recently had two burnt valves on my 60's 2F. I should have listened to MUD and pulled the head myself and sent it out. I didn't. It cost way too much for a mechanic to do a less than satisfactory job and I ended up going back into it and fixing all kinds of other stuffy myself. I've sworn off mechanics from here on out, learned a ton about the truck and myself and now have a fine running 60 that is an absolute blast to drive.
If you have some mechanically inclination, and it sounds like you do, you absolutely can change out a head gasket yourself.

that‘a great advice. I was just eye balling it in my garage figuring out how to support a beam above it and use a little 500# chain fall to lift it out. I don’t think it’s beyond my capabilities my major problem is time. I’m a shift worker so time is beyond precious. I am sure i could make it happen though.... you guys are all really inspiring!!!
Fix the head gasket, rekindle your romance with your 40👍 Teach wife to drive it as well, she just might fall in love with the brutal simplicity of it. They truly are like no other. BTW, Awful nice looking rig you have there sir!

Thank you. It is a sharp looking vehicle.

We are here to help with advice. Will PM you my number.

I vote to fix it! Then you can decide if you want to keep it. But selling with a bunch of excuses about the engine will probably set you back $5000 vs a good running truck with a fresh head gasket and or valve job.

Don’t be shy with pictures. It looks like a beautiful rig. Let’s see more!

I vote to fix it! Then you can decide if you want to keep it. But selling with a bunch of excuses about the engine will probably set you back $5000 vs a good running truck with a fresh head gasket and or valve job.

Don’t be shy with pictures. It looks like a beautiful rig. Let’s see more!

81913913-603D-4C31-A215-F0A11AD96895.jpeg

851F2BAA-E681-4A74-BC3F-3294B50244E2.jpeg
E21DCDB6-976A-4C5E-9547-EBA237D6AE0B.jpeg

Here’s a few more of the FJ, that flame thrower is the real deal, my wife’s uncle happens to be the worlds leading authority in the subject and has worked with countless movies and museums on the subject. I have some of us firing it off if anyone is interested. ;)

Fix it yourself! I'm a half ass mechanic, more the former than latter, and pulled the head off my '76 55 just to see what the cylinders looked like. Turned out they showed fresh honing marks on the cylinders. couldn't believe it. Felt reassured and with a new gasket I didn't really need, I was off and running. It wasn't difficult but yes, it's a heavy head. If I can do it......
Wow you're one of the rare ones with no lock out hubs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom