FJ40 Air Conditioning choices Vintage Air or CCOT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just installed the new Vintage Air system with the higher flow blower in my 40. And boy does this thing push out some cool air. I have my doors and roof off right now and it actually is really pleasant to drive in the near 100 degree humid weather here.

As for floor space, it actually doesn't block any of the floor space. It gives the illusion that it would, and yes it intrudes on the space below the dash, but this doesn't affect your feet or knees at all. This perceived reduction on foot space was my biggest hang up too. Also, the latest system with the higher flow blower actually has the blower mounted 90 degrees (so it's horizontal) which tucks it up under the dash better so it is a bit more open than the pictures of most of the installs you see.

I'll snap some pictures tonight and post them to show the floor space.
Where did you purchase it and what was the model number

If you go to the vintage air web site they have the part number their for the fj40 unit. I ordered mine from ebay, one of the vendors on their had a really good price and were really fast. Air conditioning is awesome, makes the rig way more civil for daily driving. That and nice comfortable seats makes the rough ride and loud noises less of a issue because at least your comfortable and cool.

I just installed the new Vintage Air system with the higher flow blower in my 40. And boy does this thing push out some cool air. I have my doors and roof off right now and it actually is really pleasant to drive in the near 100 degree humid weather here.

As for floor space, it actually doesn't block any of the floor space. It gives the illusion that it would, and yes it intrudes on the space below the dash, but this doesn't affect your feet or knees at all. This perceived reduction on foot space was my biggest hang up too. Also, the latest system with the higher flow blower actually has the blower mounted 90 degrees (so it's horizontal) which tucks it up under the dash better so it is a bit more open than the pictures of most of the installs you see.

I'll snap some pictures tonight and post them to show the floor space.
Thats great man Thanks!:clap:

Where did you purchase it and what was the model number

I purchased directly from VA and this is the part number that is on my invoice 941201 COMP KIT 68-83 TOYOTA FJ40 UPGRADE

Sorry but I didn't get out in the garage last night to take a few pictures. I will today.

Here are a couple of photos showing the under dash space on the passenger side. The first photo shows that the floor space is not impacted and when sitting there your feet and knees are nowhere near the unit.

The second shows how the new high volume blower is rotated 90 degrees compared to the old version. Note that there is very little space next to the cowl side, the hole you see next to the blower is where the PO had mounted a radio antenna. There is insufficient clearance next to the blower for it.

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

Also, I should point out that if you have a roll cage like I do, it is extremely difficult to put the dash unit in and pull it out, which you need to do 3-4 times during the installation. I ended up removing my shift levers to facilitate the process, otherwise it would not fit without forcing it and possibly breaking something.

Pulling the radio and removing the ashtray also helped a lot to route the wires and defroster ducts for final installation.

Hey gte037p my instructions recommend upgrading to 100 amp alternator. I still have the original 50. Did you upgrade?
I'm wondering now if I should have upgraded my alternator. Any suggestions on how to calculate the amps needed and what the current amps that the alternator is putting out? The amp meter heads to the right above 30+ when I accelerate with or w/o A/C, but I think that is common behavior.

Here are a couple of photos showing the under dash space on the passenger side. The first photo shows that the floor space is not impacted and when sitting there your feet and knees are nowhere near the unit.

The second shows how the new high volume blower is rotated 90 degrees compared to the old version. Note that there is very little space next to the cowl side, the hole you see next to the blower is where the PO had mounted a radio antenna. There is insufficient clearance next to the blower for it.

View attachment 1747002

View attachment 1747004
Can you give a review on your unit and the pros and cons? My 1979 is at the paint shop, after that I will be looking into an AC unit and would like something that is cold. I live in Southern California and we have been getting 106 degrees days this summer.

Is Vintage shipping all new Evaporator units with the blower rotated like that now? If so, I am bummed mine is the old way..:(

Is Vintage shipping all new Evaporator units with the blower rotated like that now? If so, I am bummed mine is the old way..:(
There are two options with the new one having the high performance blower. Also, there is an $200 upgrade kit to add the high performance blower.

Can you give a review on your unit and the pros and cons? My 1979 is at the paint shop, after that I will be looking into an AC unit and would like something that is cold. I live in Southern California and we have been getting 106 degrees days this summer.

My $.02 is that it is fantastic.
Pros
  • Ice cold air with a powerful blower
  • Thorough instructions
  • Updates the look of the interior by replacing the ugly heater unit
Cons
  • Air blows at your knees from the center. (I'm considering adding some duct and a vent next to the light switch maybe even one to blow on my back)
  • LOUD! the unit is very loud, even when at the lowest setting it is quite loud.
  • It doesn't blow soft (or quiet) enough
  • Back sweat. Although this could be my problem alone and might be solved by tinting the windows and improving the door seals

My $.02 is that it is fantastic.
Pros
  • Ice cold air with a powerful blower
  • Thorough instructions
  • Updates the look of the interior by replacing the ugly heater unit
Cons
  • Air blows at your knees from the center. (I'm considering adding some duct and a vent next to the light switch maybe even one to blow on my back)
  • LOUD! the unit is very loud, even when at the lowest setting it is quite loud.
  • It doesn't blow soft (or quiet) enough
  • Back sweat. Although this could be my problem alone and might be solved by tinting the windows and improving the door seals
This is what I am looking for! Thank you!

I'm wondering now if I should have upgraded my alternator. Any suggestions on how to calculate the amps needed and what the current amps that the alternator is putting out? The amp meter heads to the right above 30+ when I accelerate with or w/o A/C, but I think that is common behavior.
I upgraded to a GM 100 amp alternator. Easy to install

Last edited:
Also, I should point out that if you have a roll cage like I do, it is extremely difficult to put the dash unit in and pull it out, which you need to do 3-4 times during the installation. I ended up removing my shift levers to facilitate the process, otherwise it would not fit without forcing it and possibly breaking something.

Pulling the radio and removing the ashtray also helped a lot to route the wires and defroster ducts for final installation.

That's really good to know. Not good news, but but very helpful. Thanks.

I have a brand new surefit iv that I bought 6 weeks ago. After driving this summer without AC I am going to go without having AC. If someone is interested in purchasing it’s still all new in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom