Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's awesome. You are going to end up with something similar the the bumper Kirk built that integrated the body mounts.

Not quite sure what youre saying... a 2x6 attached directly to the body crossmember and tied into the frame? But bushings between the plank and the body? Wat

so you are making a new body mount that is also a rear bar?

That 2x6 you see is currently bolted to where the old body mounts used to be. I plan to add a small bushing in between the 2x6 and the body mount. The 2x6 will then be permanently welded to the frame. So in essence the bumper will have an integrated body mount.

That's awesome. You are going to end up with something similar the the bumper Kirk built that integrated the body mounts.

Yeah essentially. Kinda been getting ideas from his thread on how he shortened the frame and got rid of the factory body mounts. Wish I had the tools and skills to build something as nice as he did though.

You must be the noisiest person in the hood with all that cutting and grinding.

Thank goodness for no HOA!

nice Jose,
what are your plans for carrying the spare tire?

swingout?

Gonna test my luck and go without. Haven't carried one for while and none of the guys I wheel with have ever needed a spare tire. I don't think the smooth granite boulders from this area warrant the need for a spare tire. If anything I'll figure out how to carry just a tire with no rim since I'm running beadlocks. We'll see.

Gonna test my luck and go without. Haven't carried one for while and none of the guys I wheel with have ever needed a spare tire. I don't think the smooth granite boulders from this area warrant the need for a spare tire. If anything I'll figure out how to carry just a tire with no rim since I'm running beadlocks. We'll see.
:confused::eek:

DUAL BATTERY SETUP

This project has been a long time coming! While I don't run a 12v fridge at this time, I wanted to have the peace of mind when going on camping trips as I go out alone a lot. Last thing I want is for my wife and I to be stranded in the forest due to a dead battery with no cell phone reception anywhere.

I went with the HellRoaring BIC-95300B. I won't go into the details of the system as there several write-ups about it throughout this forum, but this is intended to be used as a backup battery setup where all loads are connected to the main battery and the secondary battery is used only for heavy loads (winching) or self jump-starts if you kill your main battery.

All cables came from www.genuinedealz.com. Rather than making the cables myself, I pre-measured everything and had these guys build the cables (2awg & 4awg as recommended by HellRoaring). Good prices and nice quality marine-grade cable. Highly recommended!

As noted in my earlier post, I upgraded to an Interstate Mega-Tron Plus 65 battery for the main.

11392476234_67119acc8f_h.jpg

I mounted the HellRoaring unit on the cruise control module...

11392469404_bfc7380da8_h.jpg

Relocated my washer bottle using Slee's kit:

11392470524_ec9197cc40_h.jpg

Picked up a used passenger side battery tray and moved my old 24F battery to serve as the auxiliary battery with military terminals:

11392448366_94fed0c1c8_h.jpg

I decided to fuse the ground using a 150 amp Bussmann fuse I picked up from HellRoaring (fuse not installed in this pic):

11392450576_520dde692a_h.jpg

The auxiliary battery is grounded to the fender and the engine block much like the main battery. I used an existing hole in the block which made it easy:

11392445096_657bf0caab_h.jpg

The positive cable from the HellRoaring unit is routed along the top of the firewall and curves around the brake booster:

11392440205_1fd602d916_h.jpg

And is connected to the starter right under the lug terminal of the main battery:

11392443515_f7602e5545_h.jpg

And lastly, the HellRoaring remote module in the cab. I chose to mount it under the ash tray and didn't incorporate into the switch blanks just in case I need to change something in the future. And that's it! :clap:

11392433695_7e7d5c6e54_h.jpg
No issues locating blue sea block onto of engine? and did you fab the mounting bracket yourself or.......... Because I have same and a grounding busbar waiting to go just need some cable.

No issues locating blue sea block onto of engine? and did you fab the mounting bracket yourself or.......... Because I have same and a grounding busbar waiting to go just need some cable.

Nope, setup has been working great. And yeah I fabbed up the little brackets myself.

Reactions: RFB
I've been so tempted to do this. That's why I went for a simple 4x4Labs bumper instead of trying to chop the rear quarters and do a custom bumper. If I'm gonna cut, I'm gonna make it count. But that won't be till I decide I'm ready for Fordyce

I'm on the FOR springs plus 1" spacers. But I just bought some 5" OME Comps and 2.5" Radflos for the rear to get that ass up in the air a little more
Just got back from a pretty awesome camping trip. The initial plan was to do some actual wheeling and then camp with just the wife and I but we had some friends want to tag along last minute. They drive a Toyota Matrix :lol: so we headed off to an area that was supposed to be easier to reach. Well, their car started bottoming out so they had to park while I went to find a place and dropped off my stuff. I then came back and took them to the campsite. So I couldn't do as much exploring as I wanted to but it was great trip. And I think they're in love with the outdoors now and are even considering selling one of their cars for a newish Toyota SUV :)

We ended up near Bowman Lake and Sawmill Lake in the Tahoe National Forest. So many miles of forest roads to explore up here, will definitely be back!

Driving into Bowman Lake
9235616792_2eebc79e52_h.jpg

Found a campsite!
9236330664_8eb26edc02_h.jpg

Campsite
9236329008_15fa77a259_h.jpg

My wife (on the left) an our two mutts
9235789136_3b6a22a717_h.jpg

The road into Sawmill Lake
9236327324_8c0a4864e2_h.jpg

Sawmill Lake, one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever seen!
9233221853_98175c35a9_h.jpg

Sawmill Lake spilling into Canyon Creek (I think?)
9236004908_db90529034_h.jpg

Canyon Creek
9233219673_0914a577be_h.jpg

Canyon Creek
9233223665_392f4916c4_h.jpg

Canyon Creek
9233225641_31f3bac571_h.jpg
amazing photos, great contrasts. Im using a nikon p900 these days, but damn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom