Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just noticed that this thread has almost 700k hits.

That says it all.

I have two '94s and they both have them. I have a set of '91 doors, but I've never been inside them.

just noticed that this thread has almost 700k hits.

That says it all.

That I'm not getting my share of click revenue? :flipoff2:

i was implying that you click your own link alot!

After nearly a year, I finally capped off the rear quarter panel cavity. Progress!

34131053375_4b10d41016_h.jpg

33973646282_df6962c41e_h.jpg

34131052535_8bbb838fd4_h.jpg

Nicely done. I just shoved a trash bag down there and squirted a whole bottle of expandi foam in the bag. It's set up nice and neat, cutting down on the sound and occasional exhaust smell in the cab.

Nice! I just did the same to my 62 wagon last month there's so much more clearance now!

When are you re-linking the rear?

Nicely done. I just shoved a trash bag down there and squirted a whole bottle of expandi foam in the bag. It's set up nice and neat, cutting down on the sound and occasional exhaust smell in the cab.

That's actually not a bad idea for a temporary fix. It's amazing how much dust would come in through this small opening. The entire cab would be coated in a layer of dust after a wheeling trip.

Nice! I just did the same to my 62 wagon last month there's so much more clearance now!

When are you re-linking the rear?

Re-linking the rear: When my buddy @nukegoat ships me the axle truss he's no longer using :)

And it sure does make a big difference. Cutting & capping fenders, rockers and rear quarters is a lot of work but you get a ton of additional clearance. It's like an instant 5" lift.

nlcFdYKh.jpg

OtErrS1h.jpg

Maybe you already have one, but if not you need a youtube channel. You'd be getting monthly payments by now!

now its just that pesky frame haha
Needs a Kirk style bumper now.

Once I get the other side of the rear quarter panel chopped I'm going to figure out what to do with the frame. I will be cutting more of it off for sure. I love Kirk's bumper but that is more work than what I would like to put into the rear bumper. I also would not want to use the bumper as a body mount. The biggest issue is the rear body mount and the big body crossmember right in front of the tailgate. I have a few ideas, trying to see what nets the biggest gain in clearance with the least amount of work.

This would probably be the easiest. Simply notch the frame and body mount at a 45º angle and attach a 2x6 or 2x8 plank to the frame rails.

1y6e0Jqh.jpg

This other idea is a bit more difficult. Involves cutting off more of the frame, making new frame rails that are oriented horizontally instead of vertically like Kirk did, and a new body mount. Would provide more clearance though.

0mcBftRh.jpg

p1000154-jpg.119728

cant believe you still have your sways hahaha

I actually have a RuffStuff sway bar shaft sitting in the box! That will be a rear setup. Need to order the rest of the parts. Should be an easy project, just need to find the time.

Maybe you already have one, but if not you need a youtube channel. You'd be getting monthly payments by now!

I actually do have a channel, not that many views though. I've only gotten about $200 from Google.

I searched but I'm a youtube moron. Do you have a link?

Flipping the axis of the frame like that drastically changes the amount of axial load it is able to stand up to.

For example if you came off of a ledge and dropped the rig on those 2x6 boxes there is a much higher chance that they will bend upwards than if they were mounted vertically.

You probably are aware but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Now if you think about that setup's resistance to a rear hit then things get interesting. A direct hit from the rear will try and deflect the frame rails along their long axis (deflecting them up or down on the modified section or left to right on a vertical frame rail). Also thinking about it more you're more likely to be rear ended by a much smaller car. This means the vectors applied to the rear frame section will be forward and up. If you've changed the rear frame section so that the box is laying flat it will likely easily deflect up and cause some serious damage to your rigs body tub.

Last edited:
Jose, don't know if you have them posted already, I searched through here and couldn't find them, but can you post up length measurements of your front links and panhard? And what is your current ground-to-frame measurement? Those would be awesome if it's not too much trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom