Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do the brighter colors make them stronger?

I don't even know where mine came from. One of the guys I wheel with put them in my recovery bag as a joke and then said I could keep them. I think they say China on them. :eek:

No it's just their trademark color, like Caterpillar yellow, John Deere Green, etc.

If they aren't rated who knows what their working limit is. The Van Beest are good for like 26,000lbs in a straight pull so I feel pretty comfortable if I need to attach my snatch strap they won't become a heavy slingshot.

If you don't want color and want even more beef the Made in the USA Crosby's are rated for almost 1.5x the load but cost over 2x as much. But are kind of considered the best.

Crosby® Anchor Shackle - Screw Pin - 3/4" - G-209A - 7 Ton

Do the brighter colors make them stronger?

I don't even know where mine came from. One of the guys I wheel with put them in my recovery bag as a joke and then said I could keep them. I think they say China on them. :eek:

Last edited:
Just wanted to throw out Colombus Mckinnon as another option. CM and Crosby are the two industry standards for overhead lifting/rigging. Both made in the USA. I have a mix of mostly Crosby and a few CM shackles in my recovery gear.

Sticking with the color theme, mostly Crosby is red and CM orange. Just fyi.

More progress on the rear bumper this weekend. Added a hitch receiver and recovery points. And I guess I didn't give the metal time to cool because after welding in the receiver I noticed I warped the sh1t outta the 2x6 plank. Oh well, now it has a nice contour to it, it's not a defect it's a feature!

abdZndlh.jpg

Bumper has also been permanently attached to the frame, never coming off now. Here you can see the integrated body mount.

8R8d9Y7h.jpg

Is the top of your bumper flush with the top of the frame rails?

Did you primer the headlight housings?

I don't think I did, just scuffed it up with a sanding pad and painted right over it.

Great, that's what I was thinking of doing! Also, how did you paint your chrome trim around the headlights?

Same as the headlight bezels, just scuff, clean & paint. I wipe everything down the isopropyl alcohol before painting.

No I meant did you take the trim off or just taped it off?

Oh sorry. Yeah I removed the trim and grill for painting. A lot easier to remove than to try and tape off.

Do they come right off easily?

Just a couple of screws. If I remember correctly they attach directly to the headlights.

Hmmm. Id put a spine on top of the bumper that runs back to the frame. I am a little iffy on how that bumper is attached.

Although I guess technically it will just try to lift the body now. Maybe its fine. Not sure

Hmmm. Id put a spine on top of the bumper that runs back to the frame. I am a little iffy on how that bumper is attached.

Although I guess technically it will just try to lift the body now. Maybe its fine. Not sure

So you don't think those 4 mounts to the frame are enough? Or you think the plank needs to be braced on the top side?

Got one of the side planks welded up yesterday. Still need to cap and blend that bottom corner into the main bumper.

cEIFigZh.jpg

Side profile

0cSP3W8h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom