Elliott's buildup: semi-resto 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have advice on how to get the intake/exhaust manifold back on? I messed with it for over 2 hours today and couldn't get the bolt holes lined up on the head. The two head studs were fairly easy as were the three on the exhaust pipe, but I'm having serious issues with the rest of them.

Thanks!

You may have to move the air horn out a little bit to line up the holes... Tap 'em with a wood block and mallet.

Sadly, I will not have this thing running before I go home for a week. I am still waiting on my rebuilt carb and distributor (was only supposed to be 4-5 weeks!), a water pump gasket, and silicone tubing from McMaster's. Regardless, when it arrives I should be ready to plumb all the new vacuum hoses and bolt up the shiny parts.

After almost stripping the rear most hole on the rear of the head (near the firewall), I got it back in usable condition and was able to bolt my intake/exhaust manifold back up. This is a real PITA on this truck, I literally have to stand on it and bounce it around to get the holes to line up right. Hopefully, I won't have to pull it off anytime soon.

Just a couple pics to show current progress.

_MG_7898.jpg

_MG_7899.jpg

Just talked to JimC, said he shipped my carb and distributor today. Hopefully I can get everything installed this weekend!

Great work man! I can't wait to see the final results. I may need to sell my 100 after all and buy a 60 to play with??? :hmm:

Got a little more done. Water pump, tstat housing, new spark plugs, and still trying to clean things up. It pales in comparison to Prowler's rig, but it's looking A LOT better than it did.

_MG_7903.jpg

_MG_7904.jpg

And I found this steering wheel cover at the auto parts store. Matches my interior pretty well!

_MG_7905.jpg

And yes, door panels are in the works!

Lookin' really good! I particularly like the stock radio "relocation" :D

I've got some swatches from the tan color on my seats so I'm going to buy some material to stitch together. It won't be too fancy but will look a little more 21st century than the striped brown and tan look that came stock.

Carb and distributor are here FINALLY. Now I'm trying to figure out how to plumb it without all of the smog junk. Startup time is so close I can taste it!

Scroll back to page 3 to see before pics of the carb. It was FURRY!

_MG_7932.jpg

I've gotten some of the hoses run. Currently trying to make sense out of the Toyota schematics and isometric.

_MG_7929.jpg

Distributor is looking nice too.

_MG_7931.jpg

I busted my thermostat housing so I upgraded to a new one. The new one doesn't have any BSVS plugs so I think it makes it a little cleaner.

Old and busted.

_MG_7919.jpg

New and slimline.

_MG_7920.jpg

I got it from SOR. Surprisingly it was only $20 while the standard one is $130!

First of all a BIG THANKS to Mike (jettaglxdriver) who helped me bring this motor to life. He certainly knows his stuff!

I got all of the hoses run and everything connected but had an issue getting spark to the coil. Per JimC and the rest of the mud 2F gurus, I grounded the coil better and swapped 2 connectors that appeared to be backwards and...

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/videos/startup.3gp

I apologize for the Quicktime format. That's how cell phone video cams go. Anyway, it didn't take much and it vroooomed to life. I didn't even have the choke pulled. I set the timing to 7*, the idle is at 650 rpm and after all of the new adhesive, oil, paint, etc smoked off of the surface its running like a champ! I need to get things cleaned up a little bit in regards to hoses and wiring so I will do that and post pics tomorrow. It's now a functional vehicle again!

.....until I rip the suspension/axles out of it this weekend....

And for the record, here is an MS Paint schematic of my hoses. This is running an HAC, no BVSV's and no PVC/EGR valve.

finalsmog1.jpg

finalsmog.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom