Do you cover your spare wheel(s) or not if on a rear carrier ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you have a rear wheel carrier that holds spares behind the rear barn doors or tailgate, do you cover your spare(s) or just leave them uncovered? Given that the spare(s) are going to be getting bulk sun-time and never rotate on the spare wheel carrier(s), what's the likelihood that spare(s) will get excessive UV degradation to the rubber if they are not used or only changed out with a full 5 or 6 wheel rotation service pattern?

Yes, I cover mine so it doesn't bake in the sun. But I also don't like having tires that are too old. I have an 18 wheeler so I got into the habit of getting rid of old tires, even if they have tread left. I know they may not be the same but I like the peace of mind of having non dry rotted tires while doing 65-75mph in the summer in triple digit temps.

I'd say the dry rot of all the exposed outside rubber of the 80 is something I'd be more concerned about - and that is very low on my list of things to worry about...

cheers,
george.

Yes, on my 60 series I put a cover on the rear tire located on the bumper. Bestop makes a decent product and it's durable and well priced.

When you say 'dry-rotted' tyre, do you mean that the rubber is cracked/crazed from lots of use and/or lots of exposure to sun, etc?

I've seen retreads let go on trucks - not fun when it's the truck in front of you. But I don't think anyone would ever consider running retreads on a road-registered pass vehicle or 4wd. At least I hope not.

I don't buy the 'myth' that tyres life-expire after 5 years simply because they were made 5 years ago going on the date-mark, but given that good quality brand 4wd tyres here cost in the order of A$250+ each (my current cooper at3's were over A$300 each two years ago), you'd expect to get a long service life from them well in excess of five years if they don't get hammered in lots of hard-core off-roading.

When you say 'dry-rotted' tyre, do you mean that the rubber is cracked/crazed from lots of use and/or lots of exposure to sun, etc?

I've seen retreads let go on trucks - not fun when it's the truck in front of you. But I don't think anyone would ever consider running retreads on a road-registered pass vehicle or 4wd. At least I hope not.

I don't buy the 'myth' that tyres life-expire after 5 years simply because they were made 5 years ago going on the date-mark, but given that good quality brand 4wd tyres here cost in the order of A$250+ each (my current cooper at3's were over A$300 each two years ago), you'd expect to get a long service life from them well in excess of five years if they don't get hammered in lots of hard-core off-roading.

Yeah the tires get dried out, and even though on a passenger car or truck tire you are not putting as much stress as you would on one from and 18 wheeler, I just like the peace of mind. 1500 dollars is not alot to spend for 5 tires every 3 or 4 years. Even if I only put 3000 miles a year on my tires. I dont run retread tires on any of my equipment. But even originals fail. If you do not cover the spare or have old tires, just check them. Proper tire maintenance and inspections of your equipment will go a long way towards avoiding catastrophic failure..

in Israel we all use cover with pouch for the wet Garbage

fffffxxx.jpg
fxfxfx.jpeg

tyres definitely degrade with age, and harden up a lot without use. My long term project HZJ105 has tyres that are less than 5years old, 2/3 tread left on them, un-used for about 3yrs and they are hard as a coffin nail through lack of use. Last time I drove the vehicle, the tyres squeaked (not squealed) when turned at all.
I've had the same model tyre on another car for more than 5years and 80k km with no issue.
Using them keeps them pliable and soft.

If you keep a rear mounted spare in circulation, I think it would be fine. Leaving it unused, it will definitely harden up IMO

Mine is not in my rotation so due to climates I have had the truck I keep it covered spent 2 years in the Sahara and now I'm in AZ so Sun damage is /was a concern I keep it covered

I’m holding out for @NLXTACY to launch his CNC cut, solar powered, York manifold equipped rear tire cover - with a Wits End logo, of course.

And climate control inside the cover. to keep the tire at a cool 72 degrees and 30% humidity

I leave mine off when I'm not wheeling/camping. It's a lot of unnecessary weight to be carrying around all the time.

:meh:

I do not use a cover on my spare tire. I do a 5 tire rotation every 6 to 8 weeks to get 20% more life out of my tires. I currently have over 44k on my 37" Cooper ST Maxx and still have 9/32" tread depth. (18.5" tread depth at new)

I keep the entire car covered up. Even the dashboard stays protected that way.
It sits inside the garage all the time. All the other cars are outside of the garage.

I’m the same as Surfpig, mine comes off unless I’m heading out of town, or to the trails! I don’t see a need to tote around a spare tire for looks. I get enough people asking about my Cruiser!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom