dmaddox's 1981 BJ42 restoration and information thread! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good luck and the resto. Looking forward to watching the re-build. If you haven't already, buy a sandblasting pot and some bags of sand. That rusty ole frame with look like gun metal with minutes. If you can powder coat it,great. If not, POR-15 is damn close. Glad to see another revived from a slow death.

Good call on bringing another diesel back to life. I've got an 1983 BJ42 with everything pretty much stock and in the right place. I've got a camera too if you need anymore pics. It's too dark right now but I'll post a shot of my vaccum tank and lines in the morning.

On my BJ42 (an 1981 and tan color as well, :D) the "GLOW-ON" plug seems to be another way to activate the glow plugs - and I use it as such.

I also have that glow controller switch, which I just discovered last week - the mesh was almost opaque, and I discovered it after I accidentally put a screw driver through the mesh :\

Either way, it seems like the glow function on the ignition and the glow-on switch do the same thing.

Good call on bringing another diesel back to life. I've got an 1983 BJ42 with everything pretty much stock and in the right place. I've got a camera too if you need anymore pics. It's too dark right now but I'll post a shot of my vaccum tank and lines in the morning.

Perfect!!! In conjunction with lost marbles' diagram, a picture would really help solve the mystery!

Thanks a ton!

On my BJ42 (an 1981 and tan color as well, :D) the "GLOW-ON" plug seems to be another way to activate the glow plugs - and I use it as such.

I also have that glow controller switch, which I just discovered last week - the mesh was almost opaque, and I discovered it after I accidentally put a screw driver through the mesh :\

Either way, it seems like the glow function on the ignition and the glow-on switch do the same thing.

Sweet thanks man, I can't wait to get this all hooked up. I appreciate the explanation.

Do you guys know of any other interior or ancillary bits I may need to collect for the 3B that are missing in my photos?

Thanks!

Nice find with the cruiser, thats a damn good starting platform! Very glad to hear your going to put it's original heart back in too. The 'b' series diesels are slow and solid engines. :hillbilly:
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

...So what are you doing with that boat-anchor once you remove it??! :lol:

Purchased a 1981 Bj41 orginal paint not cut at all......

Rob
040.jpg

The knob above the drivers right knee is the hand throttle.

I wish I could find another radio, or at least one close to that myself, but I haven't looked too hard...

Not sure what that plug looking thing is...

Dan

The knob above the drivers right knee is the hand throttle.

The hand throttle is generally used for a high idle when the weather is cold, or you simply want a higher idle speed.

It's also useful for a ghetto cruise-control and setting a trail speed when off-road.
(Freeway cruise control is another deal entirely - my hand throttle can only keep my truck at about 70km/h :p)

Not sure anyone would begrudge you a more updated radio, (although you'll need a 24 -> 12v converter to run a standard one)

Plus, the hand throttle isn't necessary for the vehicle to run,

Dmad- I am pretty sure that the 3B is 12V. I will double check when I get home today, but I am 90% sure.

Not that I would buy this particular one, but for things I find (interior pieces/radio/heater console, etc..) can I use stuff like this and just hide it behind the actual unit? Or is it not that easy?

Yep, but you can use one converter for everything. I use a single 30A job for my stereo, cig lighter, and trailer lights.

Kinda scared for you on the wiring side, we had a truck in the shop that was butchered badly.

John had a harness from a parted rig and we installed a complete used wiring harness to make it right.

Good luck...

Rob

Kinda scared for you on the wiring side, we had a truck in the shop that was butchered badly.

John had a harness from a parted rig and we installed a complete used wiring harness to make it right.

Good luck...

Rob

I am scared too. Luckily it appears that the wiring for this filthy v8 was laid over the top of everything 24v, it appears they attempted to use some things - so worst case I may have to replace a relay or two.

Under the hood is what I am worried about.....

Dude looks like you have a ton of work cut out for you. Its nice to have all the help from these guys. keeping our fingers crossed for the job here in the Springs too. That way I can help with your wireing night mare : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom