DIY: Telescoping Column Motor Removal/Repair (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Follow the OP's instructions until:
IMG_1726%20copy.jpg

Remove the two screws that hold the telescoping rod to the steering column, then you'd be able to pull/push the steering column by hand. Find your preferred position and put everything back.

Mine also doesn't tilt nor telescope, wondering if it s possible to adjust the tilt manually aswell,
just want to get the right position for me and then disconnect it.

Last edited:
Mine makes an occasional groaning noise - is this corrected with lubrication?

I took mine apart and found the L side of the shaft had a streak where the lubricant was missing. I added lubricant and the tolerance was so tight it would not stay. The other sides were fine.

I noticed if I pulled the steering wheel to the right as it retracted it remained silent.

This got me thinking. I'll bet people are using the steering wheel to help pull themselves into the truck. Over time this could possibly cause the column to slightly shift Left.

Just a thought.

ok so maybe I missed a couple steps, or maybe these are the instructions for telescoping feature only??? Here's my situation, I'm not going to replace the motor or anything, I just simply want to move the steering wheel up about an inch so it's in a better driving position and then put it all back together. Any help would be great appreciated! First pic is what I took apart already, but it's not moving up and down at all? Second pic is what looks like it may control the up and down??? what do I need to loosen in order to get it moving up and down? thanks,
printpic1550-07-18-2017.jpg
printpic1551-07-18-2017.jpg

HAH, so when I pulled the steering wheel out a bit the height became perfect, so I think I'm good to go! Got it all put back together, way better driving without the steering wheel in you lap:)

My auto tilt and telescoping both stopped working at the exact same time with no sign of impending failure leading up to it (meaning worked flawlessly, no sounds). I can't adjust them with the control either now. The sudden failure of both tilt/telescope smells like something else than motor failure. Before I tear into steering column, anyone have recommendations / ideas? If it does end up being motors, anyone have part numbers and a good source for the motors? I have a 2003 LX470.

I made a post about buying the two motors from an oversea vendor that was considerably cheaper than stateside. Cant recall their name but if you do replace motors i wouldnt hesitate to use them again.

I need a telescoping motor but dang it, a new motor now lists for $406.27!! (So maybe around $285 +/- discounted)
Telescoping motor: Newest superseded part# 89232-60022

Edit 9/2018: motor from PartsouQ was $198.xx delivered.

Last edited:
Yes it did change, sorry I can't link form page that shows change.

Did you try inputting your VIN at PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World, look for STEERING COLUMN & SHAFT. You'll see one of the best diagrams I've found. When you click on part, it will give availability it will also give alternatives, which. Also they show TELESCOPIC part # is different than TILT motor, which others do not. It may be they just sell one part # today for either, but partsouq does show different.

Things I like about the sight:
Gives specific info of VIN, even MFD date and color code.
It has some great diagrams and part numbers, seems ~97% accurate.
With many parts you can actually see a clear picture of parts with a labeled box.

It does have some (not all) great prices depending on part. But shipping often makes it to costly.

Last edited:
I got mine on eBay for something like $200. It shipped from Dubai IIRC.

Yes it did change. But I can't link form page that show change.

Did you try inputting your VIN at PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World, look for STEERING COLUMN & SHAFT. You'll see one of the best diagrams I've found. When you click on part, it will give availability it will also give alternatives, which "1" is not "2" is. Also they show TELESCOPIC part # is different than TILT motor, which others do not. It may be they just sell one part # today for either, but partsouq does show different.

Things I like about the sight:
Gives specific info of VIN, even MFD date and color code.
It has some great diagrams and part numbers, seems ~97% accurate.
With many parts you can actually see a clear picture of parts with a labeled box.

It does have some (not all) great prices depending on part. But shipping often makes it to costly.

Good info thanks. Ill check it out.

Just discovered that the telescope function is not working anymore, but the tilt function is fine. Ordered the motor part # 89232-60022 from Amazon.

Am I correct is assuming that it is possible to lay down on the floor and get the motor out by removing two bolts and the connectors without any other disassembly? If so, the getting the new motor in should be the reverse of removal, the slight fiddling to seat the square shaft drive notwithstanding?

Any advice would be welcome!

I made a post about buying the two motors from an oversea vendor that was considerably cheaper than stateside. Cant recall their name but if you do replace motors i wouldnt hesitate to use them again.

I tried to find your post, but could not. Any chance you can link?

I'll bet it was this overseas vendor. Some stuff shipping is not to bad. PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World
I use this sight for diagrams and PN# all the time. I even buy from them sometimes.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago. something like $195 shipped from partsouq. Came in like 3 days from fedex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom