DIY: Telescoping Column Motor Removal/Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any recommendations on where to purchase the part? After reading this thread I feel like I can do it.
Yea it's a straight forward r+r, you can hit up one of the supporting vendors like "Beno" and see what he can do for you, or Sewell Lexus has good online service too and offer a club lexus discount that probably brings the cost close to what Beno may be able to do. I'd expect both LC and LX use common parts here but you should confirm that on one of the online lexus or toyota parts sites.

Any recommendations on where to purchase the part? After reading this thread I feel like I can do it.

The telescoping motor is listed for $336.94. Part number: 8923260022. I can get it for you for $228, about 33% off.

I purchased the motors from amayama - ~141 for each motor and was an easier job than I expected in the end. Both motors have been working fine since :)

Thanks great writeup! Same issue here. I'm the only driver so I just manually telescoped it to my preferred position and put everything back. Works for me and I'm happy to save $200!

I'm gonna revive this thread to see if someone can help me with my problem. My '00 LX telescoping wheel will make a noise every now and then on start up. Its not an electrical or mechanical sound from what I can tell and only does it when it is warmer out. My symptoms don't seem like others in this thread so I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and if they have solved it, before I go tearing into mine. I can probably get a video for sound later.

I'm gonna revive this thread to see if someone can help me with my problem. My '00 LX telescoping wheel will make a noise every now and then on start up. Its not an electrical or mechanical sound from what I can tell and only does it when it is warmer out. My symptoms don't seem like others in this thread so I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and if they have solved it, before I go tearing into mine. I can probably get a video for sound later.

The fact that it's on startup would indicate it has to do with the tilting mechanism, as the wheel should tilt out of the way on exiting the vehicle, and tilt down when starting up. At least my past two 100's did, both post-facelift 2003 and 2005.

The fact that it's on startup would indicate it has to do with the tilting mechanism, as the wheel should tilt out of the way on exiting the vehicle, and tilt down when starting up. At least my past two 100's did, both post-facelift 2003 and 2005.
I have concluded that it is the telescoping function that makes the noise, tilt is quiet as could be. The sound is like a low pitch whine/groan.

In my case intermittent operation (often temperature dependent), sluggish operation and strange groaning noises led up to complete failure. You can try cleaning out the motor and relubricating the worm drive and bushing but I see a new motor in your future.....

You can try cleaning out the motor and relubricating the worm drive and bushing but I see a new motor in your future.....
Thanks for the quick responses guys. Looks like once my hand heals up I will tear into it to check it out and look into possibly replacing/disabling the telescoping motor.

my tilt works fine, but the telescope doesn't, at least when trying the toggle. Initially i thought it was totally dead and locked. after playing with it, I've found I've been able to coax the tired motor to move the column in and out by giving it a firm, gentle push or pull.

The write up was really helpful. Removal was relatively easy. Installation needs to put two screws back first but don't tighten either. Install the connecting shaft into the hole on upper movement part first and then tightly set the lower part of the shaft toward the motor, turn the motor slightly until the connecting shaft fall into the motor shaft hole. The hole is square and only one size for the connecting shaft.

Ha this thread is great. When I bought my LX, the guy said the price had been adjusted to compensate for anything that didnt work. I quickly noticed that the wheel adjustment didnt work and he said he would deduct an additional .15 off the asking for the price of the "fuse" it needed. I asked him to locate the culprit fuse for this feature which he couldn't.

After pulling up this thread and showing him the cost of the part numbers, we settled on an additional $500 off asking...FYI, I like where the wheel is!

My wheel does not telescope. How do we manually adjust? Can I turn the shaft or motor once I get in there?

You should be able but not sure about the size of wrench you will need. Not much clearance around the square "bolt" shown in the picture shown in the beginning of the thread. Not going to be easy and I hope you have a correct wrench to do the job.

Thanks great writeup! Same issue here. I'm the only driver so I just manually telescoped it to my preferred position and put everything back. Works for me and I'm happy to save $200!
How did you manually telescope it?

How did you manually telescope it?

Follow the OP's instructions until:
IMG_1726%20copy.jpg

Remove the two screws that hold the telescoping rod to the steering column, then you'd be able to pull/push the steering column by hand. Find your preferred position and put everything back.

Awesome, will do that today, much thanks!

Came across this document that indicates changes made in the early versions of the LX470 (J100) due to noises and other issues with tilt and telescoping steering wheels.

Awesome write up, I just replaced my telescoping motor tonight. Relatively easy job. I bought mine from amayama.com $200.89 shipped to my door in 9 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom