DIY: Telescoping Column Motor Removal/Repair (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any pointers on how you did it?
Like the OP said you gotta lay on the floor and face up to get to the bolts. Extensions/ universal joints and deep sockets may make it slightly easier. When replacing it just barely thread the bolts in, get the cv joint to connect to the worm and then tighten.

Like the OP said you gotta lay on the floor and face up to get to the bolts. Extensions/ universal joints and deep sockets may make it slightly easier. When replacing it just barely thread the bolts in, get the cv joint to connect to the worm and then tighten.

The replacement motor should be here by the weekend. I will report back.

I've read the whole thread... seems most all problems are with the telescope feature, but neither are working for me and it is stuck in the up position. Can I follow the op steps and manually tilt the wheel down? I'm fine with where it sits from me distance wise.
Thanks!

Yep you sure can. Eazy peazy japaneezy.

Lexus says it can't be done... Toyota Stealership wants $50...

Where can I download the program for my laptop?

Cable is on order.

"Under the scantool menu, there is a menu for the C-BEST settings, and one of the screens in that sub-menu toggles auto-tilt on and off (default in ON). Change that to OFF, and you're done."

Did the Telescoping motor replacement yesterday following the DIY. The process could be simplified to the original instructions. I don't believe it is necessary to remove the steering wheel cover or the bracket holding the drive gear. The motor comes out from below with 2 bolts and unclipping the electrical connector from the underside of the kick panel. This will save a little time and some wear & tear on the plastic trim. The only benefit I see to removing the trim around the steering wheel is to view the condition of the drive gear and bushing and it might make it a little easier to see replacing the motor mounting bolts.

I found that the old motor still operated after I disconnected from the drive gear, but was too weak to move the components. Bought the truck 3 years ago and the telescoping function didn't work. Nice to finally have it working.

Lexus says it can't be done... Toyota Stealership wants $50...

Where can I download the program for my laptop?

Cable is on order.

"Under the scantool menu, there is a menu for the C-BEST settings, and one of the screens in that sub-menu toggles auto-tilt on and off (default in ON). Change that to OFF, and you're done."

TXL - Curious if you ever found the program for the laptop?

I am experiencing symptoms of a failing telescoping motor on my 2003 LX 470 and, given the age and cost, would rather just go ahead and shut off the auto on/off feature now before it fully fails (versus doing the replacement).

Just spoke with Toyota in Boulder, CO and they claim they can't access the software for LX (on LC), which sounds like BS, but maybe I'm wrong.

So I figured I'd try to do it myself, OR if there are any forum members in the Metro Denver area that have the tool/software, I'd gladly come to you with a 12 pack of beer :)

I've never looked whether we can shut down or not through tech stream. You're welcome to come by and we can try.
Just send me a PM.

Last edited:
I've never looked whether we can shut down or not through tech stream. You'll welcome to come by and we can try.
Just send me a PM.
Thanks for the quick reply. Had seen this earlier so had assumed it was fairly easy/straightforward.

Sorry for the delay, but, it’s very very simple to Complete through tech-stream. I was able to download techstream through one of the posts on this thread and it works like a charm. I believe you need to run it on windows XP Virtual box. Basically what this is is a program that you download onto your windows 10 PC and it runs windows XP in a window. And then once windows XP is open Techhstream will be on there. Also, when you download the virtual windows make sure you allocate at least 90% of your CPU and RAM to running it otherwise it will take you an hour to change one setting.

There is a setting in Tech-stream to turn the auto tilt/telescoping feature on/off.

Just wanted to throw my quick thank you's @DomSmith and others who've contributed to the knowledge here on this thread. My telescoping wheel was starting to act up a bit, so I followed the guidance here and replaced the motor with new OEM, and all is awesome again!

Thanks guys!

Telescope works fine on mine but tilt not at all—has anyone replaced the tilt motor? (Motors?) I noticed some folks thinking about it but didn’t see anyone who ended up doing the job.

Parts Souq shows a distinct part number for them, but I don’t see anything indicating how many are required—looking into the dash, it sure looks like two are required and I’m not even sure how I’d get at em, and don’t even see where the plugs are—makes it tough to give them 12v and see if they’re working and the switch has failed in two directions ....

Here’s what I assume are the motors—right:

6D736446-E01B-41C7-89BE-31B570AA6392.jpeg
And left:
45FCF059-D914-49AA-88D2-3FC7E8687822.jpeg

OK, so those aren't the motors. FSM seems to confirm there's just one motor, but it's not super detail-rich on this point. It shows a diagram very similar to the Partsouq one with lots of bits floating in space with no obvious (to me anyway) correlation.
And then it says this, with no picture at all, which makes me think I'm missing something terribly obvious:

7. REMOVE POWER TILT MOTOR

(a) Using a hexagon wrench, remove the support stopper

bolt.

(b) Remove the stopper spring and stopper No. 1.

(c) Using a hexagon wrench, remove the 2 tilt steering bolts

and power tilt motor.

(d) Using a screwdriver, remove the 2 E-rings.

(e) Remove the 2 support stopper bolt bushings from the

power tilt motor.

In the "parts in space" diagram, it looks like the tilt motor is near the front, perhaps under the column, and oriented rearward--I think I got fixated on the two thingmos a previous poster had hypothesized were the tilt mechanism and was looking in entirely the wrong place. . .

Thanks @abick99–I know where it is in the diagrams I’ve found but didn’t see it last night while digging around—looks like it might be centered under the column?

Ok, following up to make atonement for my idiocy. The tilt motor is waaay far forward of where I was looking—right at the front bottom of the column.

Ordered a replacement from partsouq. Put it in today and I now have a fully adjustable column.

Notes—motor is held in with two Allen head screws (5 or 6mm; I didn’t even look at which wrench I was using). Pop off top and bottom covers to access and then unplug motor harness on both ends (new motor comes with new harness for reasons I struggle to comprehend).

Pop off circlip from the forward end of the adjustment shaft (I used two flathead screwdrivers) then just unscrew the shaft completely, releasing the motor and screw in the new one. Then reattach the downhill circlip and, before reattaching the motor to the column, reattach the wires, turn ignition to “on”, and manipulate the column adjustment switch to ensure the motor runs from circlip to circlip, rotating the motor 360 degrees as necessary to ensure it’s using the full range of the shaft.
And don’t forget to grab the two fiber washer thingmos from the old motor—those are NOT included with the new motor and you will have dramatic column play if you don’t salvage and reuse em—I didn’t spit them initially and was wondering whether my column had always had a 1/4” of vertical play when I saw one of them lying in the mat and thought, “hey now, where’d that come from?” Put them in the holes in the motor and it completely eliminated the slop.
Pics below.

1773A520-D080-4B0B-A18D-46382C7A24B9.jpeg

96A197F7-48AE-4DC1-9BA9-FD9C0D91B9F7.jpeg

251DFE7B-A15B-4EBF-A677-63369BF25AF3.jpeg

62C1B4CF-E2D4-458E-AA90-C3B18DDD8A5E.jpeg

Got mine on Ebay for a $173.00 8923260022 GENUINE TOYOTA LEXUS MOTOR, POWER TELESCOPIC TILT 89232-60022 OEM | eBay

Trying to figure out if it's necessary to replace the yellow crumbled Teflon washer in this photo seen at the tip of my Phillips screw driver. Can't tell if it really does anything and if it does how would I replace it? Also what type of lube to use on the telescoping shaft. Seems very stiff to move up and down. Could use a good lubing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom