DIY: Telescoping Column Motor Removal/Repair (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm looking at a 2004 that the tilt is not working at all, but the telescoping IS working. Would the motor most likely be the culprit? Anyone know? I've searched but I'm a hunnerd series noob, and aside from this telescoping steering wheel being all the way down, I wanna buy it. They want to take $200 off the price, I want it fixed. But they ain't gonna fix it since they are clueless honestly.
thoughts?

Tilt and/or Telescope motor failure is common, I've got it! Tilt operation became sporadic, pulled the mechanism apart, cleaned out motor, re lubed the shaft and bush etc, worked for a while then failed again. You can loose one or both functions independently. I need to get around to replacing the tilt motor and bushing, parts available from Sewell for around $235 last time I checked. Not in any rush because I've got the tilt angled where I like it and telescope is still holding up. To answer your question, get them to repair it on their dime, or if you're prepared to DIY ask for, say, $300 off. Show them the retail prices of a new tilt motor and bushing.
The mini VCI cable with techstream mentioned previously works like a charm for turning features on/off (like auto tilt/telescope) and many other things.

DomSmith, the disabling of the auto tilt/telescope, did you have the dealer do this? Is it expensive to get this done? It sounds like it must be a little technical, or else they'd just tell the owner how to do it in the manual.

To disable -without going to the shop, you can simply remove the lower cover -look at the harness that plugs into the knob for adjusting the steering and unplug ... be sure to set it to a position you are happy with first ... :D -of course, you now lose all adjustment features ... but at least it won't get stuck in the lorry position :bang:

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for your indept post, it has really helped me a lot. But I do have a question as I tried removing the motor but those bolts are not easy to comeby. What tool did you use to get inthere?

Bavaria-

I got to these while lying on the floor of the drivers side using small sockets with a swivel and looking up from the bottom of the column. A pain in the ass the first time around but a little easier the second time I did it.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the info. Replaced the motor and all is working again. Removing the unit was the easy part but replace the motor was the interesting part. After the third time I realized that must not fasten the screws completely and that why one can wiggle the shaft into the other shaft. Hope that makes sense :)

I had the "auto" part of my auto tilt/telescope disabled. I like it better this way. Replacing that motor does not look like an easy task. I hope I don't ever have to do that.

DomSmith, can you give any tips for how to separate the two halves of the steering column cover? I can not get mine to separate. I want to lube the steering wheel bearing.

Last edited:
I had the "auto" part of my auto tilt/telescope disabled. I like it better this way. Replacing that motor does not look like an easy task. I hope I don't ever have to do that.

DomSmith, can you give any tips for how to separate the two halves of the steering column cover? I can not get mine to separate. I want to lube the steering wheel bearing.

How did you?
Unplug the wire?

How did you?
Unplug the wire?

No. Had the dealer do it. Go see post #15. The tilt/telescope still work; they just don't do that auto thingy any more.

You can register at clublexus for free and then use that login to register at sewell. Then when you look at part prices while you are logged in you will automatically see a discounted price. That's how it worked when I got an OEM master key/remote there.

cruiserdan

I have heard good things about Sewell for Lexus parts but I'm not sure how their discounts work.

Rigger said:

Sorry for the late reply. I grabbed near the turn signal and pushed up in the indent along with pressure on the washer side. I think you would have good luck using the small plastic interior panel tools in an inconspicuous spot. I'd refrain from twisting them as that may dig into one of the seams.

Steering column telescoping replacement motor part #

DomSmith- I am looking at buying a used 2006 cruiser and test drove one this weekend but the steering wheel does not tilt nor telescope. I had a full vehicle inspection this morning from a local mechanic here in L.A. who confirmed the motor was dead and parts/labor estimate is $550. Do you know if the 2006 uses the same motor/part # as your rig??

Or does anyone else know for that matter?

Brian-

I think there are two motors. One for tilt and one for telescope. $550 seems like a low estimate if they are replacing both. It's possible someone unplugged them rather than have them reprogrammed not to auto set.

I use this website to see what fits my truck:

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/

You can punch in the part # on the left side or enter your VIN and search through the catalog. I also used this site to determine true vehicle color when I was looking to buy. Put the VIN in and it will give you the color code of the truck. Saved me a ton of time contacting sellers with "Gray" listed that turned out to be "Thunder Cloud Metallic".

Last edited:
Yea, you may be right that there are 2 motors. The mechanic did not specify that the $550 was for one and not both, but I'll have to double check with him.

Thanks for sending along the link. I was planning to call CDan to get the part(s) and he should know part numbers, plus know if 2 motors are present.

Don't know that the current owner unplugged anything but am going to pick it up tonight and will ask. It is odd that neither works.

Much Thanks

Has anyone had any long term success taking apart the motor and lubricating everything else to fix the telescopic steering? The original poster did, but said it lasted only a few days.

I suspect my motor still works somewhat, I was able to jerk / push the wheel while using the switch and got it to move some.

Has anyone had any long term success taking apart the motor and lubricating everything else to fix the telescopic steering? The original poster did, but said it lasted only a few days.

I suspect my motor still works somewhat, I was able to jerk / push the wheel while using the switch and got it to move some.

I've attempted to "repair" both motors, they worked for a few weeks then went intermittent again, then packed up. I've noticed a correlation between hot weather and functionality, mine are more inclined to work during summer, less stiction maybe. My telescope is set to manual mode and it seems to work usually, tilt not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

If I wanted to replace the motor, would I still need to take off the steering column off?

http://www.uobd2.com/wholesale/mini-vci-for-toyota-tis-techstream-v500028-single-cable-2442.html
for $35.00 you can get yourself the cable and the techstream software that allows you to control that setting and many others.

personally, in addition to many other settings, i've used it to disable my steering wheel from moving when turning off and exiting the vehicle.

also, perhaps you can borrow it from another mudder in your area - a number of folks on the board have gotten it for their ahc suspension. see this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/604577-definitive-list-ahc-maintenance-items.html

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD
The link for the cable and techstream software are no longer good. Any other recommendations? My tilts, but will not telescope...

The link for the cable and techstream software are no longer good. Any other recommendations? My tilts, but will not telescope...
There are many sources for pirated TechStream and mini vci, just google and choose one. If your telescope function has stopped that's most likely due to a failed telescope motor (pretty common) and or excessive stiction in its drive mechanism. About $230 for a new motor.

There are many sources for pirated TechStream and mini vci, just google and choose one. If your telescope function has stopped that's most likely due to a failed telescope motor (pretty common) and or excessive stiction in its drive mechanism. About $230 for a new motor.
Any recommendations on where to purchase the part? After reading this thread I feel like I can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom