Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins 6BT + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a tip - stay away from MetricTLC! Lots of people having lots of problems with that guy.

When is the dirty koala heading out to the woods next? Uwharrie next weekend??

Installing the leather is a PIA, and if you value your finger tips, you should take it to an upholstery shop. I think I was one of the last guys to get a set of leathers from metric TLC, good thing I didn't wait to get the rear seats.

Monstaliner is done (did it on Monday), still putting the truck back together before I post up about it.

Next weekend we are heading up to lake George for a few days for our anniversary, will need to hit the bush when we get back.

Last edited:
As soon as I get the new rear bumper on, I will take a bunch of pics and post up...most likely tomorrow.

Hey brother found your thread... thanks for the order. Truck is looking good. You got a lot going on with it, looks like you have a good handle on things and excellent taste!! That includes my metal... :cool:. Call me if you need anything and :cheers:

Thanks Jason, it's a work is progress...but its is getting close to where I want it. Looking forward to getting that rack mounted. I ordered up 6 gamiviti 30/60 mounts in prep.

Can you say Toyota Army Green Monstaliner? You can now!

I worked with Eric @magnetman to develop this shade of Monstaliner. I sent a painted steel sample to Eric and he was able to match perfectly to the Army/Dark green of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. I didn't do a perfect job applying it, but that was mostly user error. I applied during the night in a dimly lit garage, while it was raining outside...the humidity gave me about 30 mins of pot-life, so I had to work quick. Overall, I am very happy with the end result.

Other improvements I have made while I had her torn apart.
  • I tore off my junk Pro-line rear bumper and installed a Slee dual-swingout and hitch. This thing is stout...20 bolts holding it to the chassis. I still need to install the ladder.
  • I replaced all four window runs
  • Replaced both the inner and outer window trim for all windows including the outer rear quarter
  • Made up new vapor barriers for all four doors using 6mm concrete underlay plastic and butyl tape
  • Installed 3/4" rubber door looms from electric-life so I have a clean way of routing the ditch lights and CB coax (coming later).
  • Installed @SoCalFrank ditch light brackets and rear hatch brackets along with two pairs of knockoff dualies that I have had sitting around for about a year. I still need to wire up the relays and switches.
  • Since I had the headlights out and the snorkel off, I decided to give the inside of the fenders a liberal coating of primer so prevent the backside of my welds from rusting out.
  • I had two cans of Army Green spray paint mixed up which I used to paint my mirrors and I then applied two coats of clear. They came out decent, but I may redo them.

DSC_0116 (2).JPG
DSC_0117 (2).JPG
DSC_0121 (2).JPG
DSC_0124 (2).JPG
DSC_0125 (2).JPG

looks nice, I really want to do my truck in monstaliner beige, will most likely wait till my bumpers and rack need repainting ......

Thanks, I am really happy with how it came out. Do it! I was between green and tan myself, but opted for the custom color route.

I've got a different green in mind, actually. I remember my dad saying he used to have the jeeps in his command painted a 'special shade of drab and black' to keep people from stealing them back in his Army days. Ill have to see if he remembers from 45years ago! Saw an old pic of one years ago and it looked great.

...via IH8MUD app

your hood has some cool patches now...got any info?

Those are aluminum diamond tread plates to strengthen the hood enough to stand on. Jason of @UnderDawg fabbed them up.

I just found this thread and I love it. This is some great work. I have a few questions, mind if I PM you to ask?

Those are aluminum diamond tread plates to strengthen the hood enough to stand on. Jason of @UnderDawg fabbed them up.

Where!? I'd really like to see this. I saw this on a truck a while back with a tiger-stripe paint job and thought it looked pretty cool. I'd really like to see how they are attached.

I just found this thread and I love it. This is some great work. I have a few questions, mind if I PM you to ask?

Where!? I'd really like to see this. I saw this on a truck a while back with a tiger-stripe paint job and thought it looked pretty cool. I'd really like to see how they are attached.

Thank you, and no problem..fire away.

The plates are riveted through the hood.

So I haven't made an update in a while, a couple of surgeries limited the amount of work I could do on the truck the past few months. In that downtime I did however get my rack from underdawg delivered and installed, it has been quite useful.

I still only have my passenger side OPOR slider installed as the MAF drop brackets interfered with the driver side mounting bracket. I eventually got my hands on a set of Slee radius arms, which I will be installing soon...also picked up lower and upper control arms from Metal Tech. Having only one Slider has made wheeling interesting...I have been taking lines that protect the drivers side...so far it's worked..along with having good spotters @Crusha @fireball.

This past weekend I picked up a 97 Cummins 6BT with the 215hp P7100 injection pump and an NV4500 which will be getting swapped in once the weather warms up.

I will be adapting the stock HF2AV to the NV4500 and as it turns out, the overall dimensions are very close to the cummins / a343 legnth.

Cummins Block/A343 belhousing to xfer case mounting surface is 27 7/8". This places the xfer case in the stock location.

Cummins Block/NV4500 bellhousing to xfer case mounting surface is 27 3/4".

Add in 3/4" for the adapter thickness and that extends the NV4500 length to 28 1/2" which places the HF2AV 5/8" further towards the rear of the truck than stock.

Since I already have the truck lifted 4" and have stock drive shafts, I predict that this will put the rear shaft back where it was prior to the lift (extension wise). I expect to need to get a longer front shaft, but this is not an issue as I was planning on getting a DC shaft made at some point anyway.

20141214_130452.jpg
20141214_131312.jpg
20150128_203425.jpg
20150207_103136.jpg
20150207_105829.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom