Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins 6BT + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great tire choice. Those are looking like my next tire replacement too.

Great tire choice. Those are looking like my next tire replacement too.
Yeah I was very excited when I found out these were released here. The boys in Oz have been having great luck with them for a while now I believe. You can't beat the price either, $1650 for 5 37" delivered to my door.

This is going to be such a monster!!
It certainly is! I maybe taking my sweet time, but I want to do this right the first time round. I am giving myself to the beginning of May to wrap everything up...already signed up for GSMTR'16 and CMCC'16.

Last night I buttoned up the trans (PTO covers, bellhousing and trans fluid) I used 5 quarts rather than the standard 4 as it has been said there are benefits to adding an extra quart, plus I have a small amount of additional volume now with the space in the adapter plate.

I have a spare HF2AV that I bolted up, it all went together rather easily, this was a major relief as I have the original prototype adapter from Diesel Adapter and haven't seen any details of swaps using this setup yet. I can now confirm that the cut down 2wd mainshaft and adapter plate work as designed.
20160209_094320.jpg

20160209_112210.jpg

I hoisted the trans and xfer case off the bench, because I ain't playing herules today. Stabbing the trans was pretty straight forward, but I wouldn't want to be doing it under the truck on my back. This will all go in as one unit.
20160209_132053.jpg

20160209_132020.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's the way you do s***.

Awesome work Morgan.
Thank you Onur! Step by step I will get this done the way I want it done.

Agreed, looks great. Much of what you're doing is in my future, including limiting my diesel adapter use to this one single piece. Did he ever give you indication that he'd be making more? I know this was made somewhat at your request.

Agreed, looks great. Much of what you're doing is in my future, including limiting my diesel adapter use to this one single piece. Did he ever give you indication that he'd be making more? I know this was made somewhat at your request.
Yes, this adapter was designed after I pestered Dustin for a while to make it. He has since made and sold a bunch. I beleive @Wheelingnoob & @thegogglesdonothing both have this adapter. I particularly like that there is no intermediary shaft between trans and xfer case.

Yes, this adapter was designed after I pestered Dustin for a while to make it. He has since made and sold a bunch. I beleive @Wheelingnoob & @thegogglesdonothing both have this adapter. I particularly like that there is no intermediary shaft between trans and xfer case.

Cool thanks. Glad to hear there are more. I feel the less I try to source from Dustin the better. Did you post the cost of this adapter, if not could you? You could PM it to me if you prefer.

Cool thanks. Glad to hear there are more. I feel the less I try to source from Dustin the better. Did you post the cost of this adapter, if not could you? You could PM it to me if you prefer.
The adapter, mainshaft, 5th gear, 5th gear locknut and hardware was about $850, but I recall seeing a group buy thread where the cost was a bit less.

The adapter, mainshaft, 5th gear, 5th gear locknut and hardware was about $850, but I recall seeing a group buy thread where the cost was a bit less.

Ugh, I had no idea about the group buy. I really didn't realize there was many more of these floating around than the one he made for you so far. I'm on mud pretty frequently and try to keep up, but guess I missed it.

I can't wait any longer to hear how this combo works out!!!!
Now that I have heat in my garage, progress is going to accelerate.

Now that I have heat in my garage, progress is going to accelerate.

That is what I am waiting for too. I am currently building a house and shop and collecting parts for this swap. I have the adapter for the split case to NV4500, but I am excited to see how the stock t/c works for you. I may switch my plans if it works smoothly. I think it would be a cleaner swap and you could add Low range gears cheaper then the split case.

That is what I am waiting for too. I am currently building a house and shop and collecting parts for this swap. I have the adapter for the split case to NV4500, but I am excited to see how the stock t/c works for you. I may switch my plans if it works smoothly. I think it would be a cleaner swap and you could add Low range gears cheaper then the split case.

So far everything is working well. I really wanted to keep my HF2A as I had already invested time and money into rebuilding it and part timing it.

Two other factors contributing to my decision to go this way:
  1. The split case has a nice whine to it, that the HF2A does not. I wanted to avoid adding a whine if possible.
  2. I wanted to keep the CDL and electrics for the xfer case stock.

I like the whine. It reminds me of riding in my Dad's 60 as a kid. I agree though it would be nice to keep the CDL and such. I have already part timed my case so no worries there.

Actually the whine is mostly in the manual transmission. But an 80 case is still quieter, especially with all the leather and carpeting :D

Tonight the conversion officially got underway...finally. I pulled the condensor, batteries, battery trays and radiator.

I try to work smarter not harder...screw lifting that group 31 battery by hand.
20160216_173253.jpg
20160216_184748.jpg
20160216_201654.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom