Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can make them one piece easy enough. I've built a couple of sets out of 1.25" with a 4.5" radius die that looked good

If you could do it with one piece that would be sweet. Didn't you just recently sell your MT fenders? They only thing I'd hate more than doing a set of tube fenders is doing them twice, lol.
They were not at all what I thought they were going to be. Kit my ass.

Last edited:
Is it hard to lower your bump stops?
With exactly four inches of up-travel, that's a solution I'd like to avoid entirely. I think what @CreeperSleeper said is going to be my best solution: welding in some tube behind the fender lip, and reinforcing fenders from underneath. While I'm that, I'll tie the sides together.

I don't think I have a need to cut the apron at all. The tire only touches at the very front of the fender (lower-most point), and then, only when at full stuff. It barely touches, but with the big lugs on the tires, it could take only one bad bounce to cause some damage. I think with some tube backing the fender lip that the chances of catching the sheet metal will decrease enough to just run it.

So I picked up a set of the Bestop convertible doors (pics tonight), and have worked a solution for my heater. Thanks to @gpfj40, I have a leak free heater core. I picked up a 6" diameter accessory coolant fan off of Amazon and have it attached to the top of the heater core inside of the heater box. With the box sealed up, It's pushing plenty of air through the core and out of the heater. I'm going to hook up the defrost ducting for the driver side (the only ducting I have at the moment), and hopefully I'll be able to keep the window partially free of snow during next weeks snow run as well as keep myself and the Mrs toes from freezing.

After careful consideration, I think the next big step is going to be an aqualu extended tub. With the wheelbase stretch and comp cut, I'm not liking the current look of the truck, plus the proportions just don't work for me.
I've seen a couple of other people have aqualu pre-cut the rear arches to accommodate larger tires. and I think it really helps the truck look "right."

You can have aqualu build a tub with the fender wells up to the top rail of the tub if you want, they offered that option to me, but I was afraid of how it would look being that I wasn't stretching the tub itself and 37s would be the biggest I will likely run 37s would look silly with that kind of wheel opening. Are you going to do kinda like project Going Big on Pirate? I think his wheelbase is around 110 or so. Ive seen that cruiser at moab and the stretched tub with 40s looks incredible. Although I think he stretched a steel tub himself. Aqualu tub is a pretty easy install.

You can have aqualu build a tub with the fender wells up to the top rail of the tub if you want, they offered that option to me, but I was afraid of how it would look being that I wasn't stretching the tub itself and 37s would be the biggest I will likely run 37s would look silly with that kind of wheel opening. Are you going to do kinda like project Going Big on Pirate? I think his wheelbase is around 110 or so. Ive seen that cruiser at moab and the stretched tub with 40s looks incredible. Although I think he stretched a steel tub himself. Aqualu tub is a pretty easy install.
Is that the blue 40? If so, that's exactly the one I'm thinking of.
I'm not so much thinking of opening up so high into the tub, but having an actual wheel well. I really don't like the comp cut look, so I figured I'd kill two with one sort of thinking; I get an extended tub, while also having proportions reflective of a 40-42" tire.

Is that the blue 40? If so, that's exactly the one I'm thinking of.
I'm not so much thinking of opening up so high into the tub, but having an actual wheel well. I really don't like the comp cut look, so I figured I'd kill two with one sort of thinking; I get an extended tub, while also having proportions reflective of a 40-42" tire.
Yea its the blue one. One tip when ordering a aqualu tub which I think is important-especially when you are asking them to customize the tub, is to do all communication via email since it involves so much money. That way it always is clear what you want done and its in writing. I emailed them back and forth the wheel opening I wanted and they sent me cad drawings until I agreed in writing it was correct. They can also do under the floor storage boxes for you which are nice if you want.

What time and where is the meet up for the snow run? Family is in town but I'd like to join in for the morning hours if possible.

20171226_110009.jpg
20171226_105324.jpg

Had a chance to get in the snow today.
Sadly, I've a case of the man flu and had to cut out early.

The Mrs is awesome. She gave the green light on the tub idea (a couple months down the line) and asked that I have a hard top done to match the stretch. Stoked.
I need to rewire a few things this week as well as empty and refill the coolant. Had some overheating issues I'll attribute to a combination of a single wire and some air still in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom