Daily drives me crazy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally brought my piggy home two weeks ago! I have been working a lot on it to get it running and driving, so I will post updates on that here. This will be my thread for this particular vehicle.
ACAF52D5-583B-450D-9055-89A27A699B47.jpeg

Wow, nice pig! Looks very solid compared to most. I'm really liking that red/white combo the more I see them.

Congrats!

:popcorn:

Welcome aboard! You look to have an excellent rig to represent the Red! We’re all looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it. Preferably daily. Like a daily blog. Daily Landcruiser Blog.
Daily Landcruiser Blog.

Daily Landcruiser Blog.

Relax. You’re feeling totally relaxed. No pressures at all. Totally relaxed. Feel the stress melt away...

Post pics tomorrow. You’ll have more friends. More people will like you. You will have fun.

I know my adoring fans need pictures!
So here we go!

More from the day I bought it:
IMG_7367.jpeg
IMG_7368.jpeg
IMG_7369.jpeg
IMG_7370.jpeg
IMG_7371.jpeg

So I have been busy with the new baby, traveling to see my parents in Idaho (too bad I can't make the Pig Party this year!), and building my babies a playground.
But I do have some updates and I will continue to post them below!
Stay tuned!

Day one.
I was trying to get it on rollers. I bought these wheels and tires on Craigslist for $80, and I thought they might fit.
Turns out they only fit on the back, but on the front, they rubbed on something. I can't remember. Wrong backspacing on these old 4runner wheels.
Anyway, the backup plan was to get these new-to-me tires mounted on the original wheels I just took off. So off I went to the cheapest tire place I know of.

IMG_8039.jpeg
IMG_8040.jpeg
IMG_8041.jpeg
IMG_8042.jpeg
IMG_8043.jpeg

$60 later and I am back with my tires ready to rock!
The first pic kind of looks like a hover pig.
I was also imagining what it would look like with a 3" lift... I need more money before I can do that.
Now I am ready to tow this thing home.
Seems like the parking brake is locked up...

IMG_8047.jpeg
IMG_8053.jpeg
IMG_8054.jpeg
IMG_8055.jpeg

Went and got a dolly from U-haul.
I could feel the parking brake was still locked up as I started to come-along it up onto the dolly, but it broke free.
It was fun to see the pig face in the rear view.
The door latches were not working well, so they would swing open on corners! I had to stop a few times and try to shut them. Didn't have any rope with me...
Got home safe and sound.
Now time to get it running...
IMG_8056.jpeg
IMG_8058.jpeg
IMG_8059.jpeg
IMG_8061.jpeg
IMG_8068.jpeg

Looks good in front of the house.
I want to point out that every day that goes by I realize that this rig is more rusty than it appears. I blame the undercoating mostly. Every time I shut one of the doors this pig loses more of itself. Just kind of falls out onto the ground.
Oh well! Patina is my friend with this one.

Now I am going to try to get it running.
I was told by the PO that this was not the original carb, but now I am not so sure. Cable linkage.
Maybe the brain trust can tell me all about it. All I know is that it is in fact Aisan.

Here is what I did to try and get it running:
Disconnected the fuel line before the pump.
Installed a new fuel filter.
Changed the oil.
Discovered that the choke cable was gummed up, so I got it working again.
New battery
Dipped the fuel line from the pump into a gas can that I stuffed in by the dizzy, and gave it a go...

It ran!
Ran great actually. Has ran fine ever since. I do need to keep the choke cracked a little even when it warms up, so I need a tune/rebuild. Hope to get some advice on that. Seems like it burns hella fuel too.

Now it is time to get it pulled into the garage!

IMG_8066.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg
IMG_8087.jpeg
IMG_8088.jpeg
IMG_8089.jpeg

Got it running and now pulled into the garage.
Feels good.
Assuming that the fuel tank was full of bad gas I went to drain it... bone dry.
Huh.
I just assumed that the PO had last ran it 6 years ago and must have had it on E.

The last picture is the spare tire (side note: look at that old school Toyo!). It was touching the fuel tank all these years. Looks like a gas leak. The tire was completely dissolved on some of the sidewall.

As with most things like this, I hope it has resolved itself with rust and undercoating.

So I went about filling it with gas little by little with small cans. Then some small pinhole leaks showed up. Mostly obscured by the undercoating.
I used some of that rad epoxy repair stuff and I was off to the races! More on this to come. Some of you might already know where this is going...
IMG_8096.jpeg
IMG_8097.jpeg
IMG_8098.jpeg
IMG_8099.jpeg
IMG_8122.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom