Daily drives me crazy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is my wife's 2014 4runner next to the pig. Pretty cool contrast.
The last pictures are the spare wheel all cleaned up and degreased.
Then fresh paint and a $20 used tire.
IMG_8129.jpeg
IMG_8141.jpeg
IMG_8142.jpeg
IMG_8162.jpeg
IMG_8197.jpeg

Next up I started tuning up the doors and cleaning out all of the crud on the interior.
I also promptly broke off the little switch on the dome light. Bummer.

IMG_8143.jpeg
IMG_8144.jpeg
IMG_8145.jpeg
IMG_8146.jpeg
IMG_8147.jpeg

More cleaning. I pulled out the old nasty carpet pad. Seems like it was the main culprit for holding interior moisture.

I found that the tailgate is pretty rusty, but it still functions and the window works well from the key and the front switch.

The original tool roll was in tact and I soaked some of those items in some evaporust. That stuff came out great!

I have also been using a ton of the Fluidfilm on everything!

More door and window repair.

IMG_8148.jpeg
IMG_8149.jpeg
IMG_8150.jpeg
IMG_8151.jpeg
IMG_8152.jpeg

Stripped out a bunch of old wiring that was not longer needed.

The second picture was a wire I found that have been trapped under the valve cover at some point when it was off, and then the wire must have been severed by the rockers or something. Funny.

Got rid of the aftermarket radio and speakers.
IMG_8153.jpeg
IMG_8154.jpeg

Here is the good part.
I got everything put back together, and I was ready to take it out and about.
The wife and kids were out of town, so I got some good work done and a little joy riding.
Nothing better for diagnosing some problems than a few test drives.
I even took it to work a few days.

I have lighting issues. Rear and side running lights are on the fritz.

The shocks are blown. One has leaked out all of its oil now that I am driving it around. I have new ones sitting on the bench from Cruiser Outfitters.
I also got new rod ends and drag link to install. Just waiting for time.

Also, the fuel leak is not getting better. More on that in the next post.
IMG_8549.jpeg
IMG_8550.jpeg
IMG_8552.jpeg
IMG_8571.jpeg
IMG_8583.jpeg

As the fuel leaks have gotten worse, and my epoxy patching is no longer working, I have decided to drop the tank and take it to a local repair shop.
Sadly I had just topped it off with premium. I had the Pig parked as I was waiting for a good time to do the suspension and steering repairs. I was also planning to go through the brakes at the same time.

Rather then drain the gas and try to do something else with it, I thought I would drive the pig to work a few days and burn it off. Against my better judgement.
Cue the ominous music.
As I was pulling into a steep driveway at a project (I am a Project Manager for a general contractor), I heard something give way in my front end and I lost some of my braking power. This made me nervous obviously and bothered me all day as I was thinking about my drive home.
I did a little test and determined that I could stop if I pumped the brakes once. In fact, it would sometimes bind up in the front end.
I decided to limp it home on surface streets. About halfway home the brakes locked up when I was stopped and I could't move forward. I rolled back and felt them free up. I knew I wouldn't make it home at this point, so I drove to a friends house a few blocks away and parked it. Got a ride home from there.

My first guess was that the front drums were way out of adjustment, so my plan was to head over on the weekend and try to fix it up to get it home.

So now we are caught up.
The below pics are from this morning.

I pulled the front left side drum and everything looked fine. The shoes were perfectly adjusted.
Then I went to the front right side and discovered that the wheel was locked up. I got it turning and took the drum off to discover that the shoes had delaminated. This explained a lot about how it was behaving.

So it is time to repair the brakes... but instead of rebuilding these, I will probably just convert to disc.
Let me know if you have some disc knuckles that would work well for me!

Next up I will be dropping the tank, replacing the rod ends and drag link, and replacing the shocks.
Should have time later this week when the fam is out of town.

IMG_8719.jpeg
IMG_8720.jpeg
IMG_8721.jpeg

$60 later and I am back with my tires ready to rock!
The first pic kind of looks like a hover pig.
I was also imagining what it would look like with a 3" lift... I need more money before I can do that.
Now I am ready to tow this thing home.
Seems like the parking brake is locked up...

View attachment 2397431

Hover Pig - love it!
Land Speeder/Land Cruiser...

1596981923721.png

1596982041008.png

Got it running and now pulled into the garage.
Feels good.
Assuming that the fuel tank was full of bad gas I went to drain it... bone dry.
Huh.
I just assumed that the PO had last ran it 6 years ago and must have had it on E.

The last picture is the spare tire (side note: look at that old school Toyo!). It was touching the fuel tank all these years. Looks like a gas leak. The tire was completely dissolved on some of the sidewall.

As with most things like this, I hope it has resolved itself with rust and undercoating.

So I went about filling it with gas little by little with small cans. Then some small pinhole leaks showed up. Mostly obscured by the undercoating.
I used some of that rad epoxy repair stuff and I was off to the races! More on this to come. Some of you might already know where this is going...
View attachment 2397463View attachment 2397464View attachment 2397465View attachment 2397466View attachment 2397467

I think there is a classic failure on these gas tanks. They bolt to the bottom of the body and I think after they flex a few times they develop this crack:

1596983390577.png

From my build thread: Builds - POTM - March, 2014 - Javelina By Pablo Cruise

As the fuel leaks have gotten worse, and my epoxy patching is no longer working, I have decided to drop the tank and take it to a local repair shop.
Sadly I had just topped it off with premium. I had the Pig parked as I was waiting for a good time to do the suspension and steering repairs. I was also planning to go through the brakes at the same time.

Rather then drain the gas and try to do something else with it, I thought I would drive the pig to work a few days and burn it off. Against my better judgement.
Cue the ominous music.
As I was pulling into a steep driveway at a project (I am a Project Manager for a general contractor), I heard something give way in my front end and I lost some of my braking power. This made me nervous obviously and bothered me all day as I was thinking about my drive home.
I did a little test and determined that I could stop if I pumped the brakes once. In fact, it would sometimes bind up in the front end.
I decided to limp it home on surface streets. About halfway home the brakes locked up when I was stopped and I could't move forward. I rolled back and felt them free up. I knew I wouldn't make it home at this point, so I drove to a friends house a few blocks away and parked it. Got a ride home from there.

My first guess was that the front drums were way out of adjustment, so my plan was to head over on the weekend and try to fix it up to get it home.

So now we are caught up.

I pulled the front left side drum and everything looked fine. The shoes were perfectly adjusted.
Then I went to the front right side and discovered that the wheel was locked up. I got it turning and took the drum off to discover that the shoes had delaminated. This explained a lot about how it was behaving.

So it is time to repair the brakes... but instead of rebuilding these, I will probably just convert to disc.

Next up I will be dropping the tank, replacing the rod ends and drag link, and replacing the shocks.

View attachment 2397851View attachment 2397852View attachment 2397853

Dropping the tank was a PITA for me. Start here: Builds - POTM - March, 2014 - Javelina By Pablo Cruise

1596983919490.png

You can see the stains in the top of mine where it was leaking.

As for the full gas tank, that seems to be the way these things go!

The last time I had to mess w/ a gas tank I had just filled the tank on one of our DD. Then I went out of town and my :princess: called to tell me the DD wouldn't stay running. :-( So I had to replace the fuel pump and as soon as I pulled the old pump gas ran out the pump hole (heh heh).

At least I didn't have to worry about debris falling into the tank. The fuel running out did a nice job washing the top of the tank off...

Maybe when you get home you can get a transfer pump and fill the 4Runner tank? I would run a filter in the line though...

Wow. This sow is gonna play you double hard.
She looks really good from the outside, but the rest of her.... she’s gonna demand your constant attention, and won’t be happy unless you spend,spend,spend on her. I foresee a testing of enthusiasm. You’re either gonna love getting to go through every single mechanical system on this rig, or you’re gonna hate it. Hopefully it’s something you’re into, because it will totally be worth it in the end.

Wow. This sow is gonna play you double hard.
She looks really good from the outside, but the rest of her.... she’s gonna demand your constant attention, and won’t be happy unless you spend,spend,spend on her. I foresee a testing of enthusiasm. You’re either gonna love getting to go through every single mechanical system on this rig, or you’re gonna hate it. Hopefully it’s something you’re into, because it will totally be worth it in the end.

Pigs can be demanding Mistresses...

Cue the ominous music.

So now we are caught up.

View attachment 2397851View attachment 2397852View attachment 2397853
I have the exact same brake & tank issues with pictures in my thread, I decided to go to 60 axles and it’s been on the hoist since :(

Why can't I find a way to find threads started by you when I look at your profile?
No idea, I’m not good at some of the tech stuff here :meh:

I’ll try and link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom