Custom Rear Fender Flares - Let's See Them (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
I have some rear wheel opening that were cut to the maximum size (up to the inside fender well) by a PO. I am trying to decide if I should just buy the pieces from RSCP to bring them back to stock look or go with some custom made flares over the openings. Having a stock look is not required for this daily driver. I know some folks have made them with tubing frames and flat stock but there are probably other ideas out there as well. If you have something custom back there let's see them.

Thanks
Drake

I did some metal ones to mimic the rare JDM-spec ones, but I shifted them up onto the side of the tub vs extending downward. They're bolt-on/removable, they just attach to the inner lip. Fairly simple design...could make it as wide as you want, but I kept mine to about 1" as I'm running 255s.

PXL_20211022_230945626.MP.jpg

Mud thread:

I did some metal ones to mimic the rare JDM-spec ones, but I shifted them up onto the side of the tub vs extending downward. They're bolt-on/removable, they just attach to the inner lip. Fairly simple design...could make it as wide as you want, but I kept mine to about 1" as I'm running 255s.

View attachment 2871501

Mud thread:

Hey, those look fantastic. You put a lot of work into those. Thanks for posting!

I'm glad I tried making them...didn't originally plan on it, but had a spare week while I was done with the main bodywork but paint was stuck in shipping from the warehouse.

Figured I didn't' have much to lose, and it was a fun project to improve my metal-pummeling skills. 😆

Not sure if you could do something similar with a cut arch...possibly so, especially if you don't make them removable and just get to welding.

Test fitting some aluminum flares that the head fabricator at work whipped up (not for my build). I'm probably going to make some similarly styled ones.

20210723_210225.jpg

Here is how they turned out.

20211103_084052_50.jpg

Had to dig a bit, but there's also the @Fast Eddy un-flared flare...but well suited to cut arches not needing wider coverage:

TJ flares. Mine aren’t installed yet. Cheap, durable, & easy to get hold of.

Is that boxed steel you used for running boards? If so, what dimensions and wall thickness?

Not fully boxed, but 3/16 sheet plasma tabled out and folded on the 200 ton press.

20210724_120412.jpg

20210731_190505.jpg

20210905_221547.jpg

View attachment 2871501

Mud thread:

Wow dude, those look really nice.

I have some rear wheel opening that were cut to the maximum size (up to the inside fender well) by a PO. I am trying to decide if I should just buy the pieces from RSCP to bring them back to stock look or go with some custom made flares over the openings. Having a stock look is not required for this daily driver. I know some folks have made them with tubing frames and flat stock but there are probably other ideas out there as well. If you have something custom back there let's see them.

Thanks
Drake

Post some pics.

Had to dig a bit, but there's also the @Fast Eddy un-flared flare...but well suited to cut arches not needing wider coverage:

The flares I make would likely work but would require welding mounting tabs or a mounting strip along the top. If you were really into bolt-on you could bolt a piece of angle iron down into the rear fender but welding would be cleaner.

Hey all. Does anyone have a recommendation for flares that would work to keep with the stock rear wheel well arches? It sounds like bolt-on options like the Bushwacker flares are more meant for those wanting to cut them for larger tires. It says you can lave them uncut and black out the remaining bit of quarter panel, but
I'm worried that might look odd (sources like SOR, Cruiserparts.net, City Race LLC)

I'm not planning for large tires. More want the look and to tamp down a bit of mud spray since I live on a dirt road. The FJ has new paint from a couple years ago so I don't want to get into any cutting and welding, would rather just leave them off if that's what's needed, so hoping someone might have a few ideas.

Thanks!

Hey all. Does anyone have a recommendation for flares that would work to keep with the stock rear wheel well arches? It sounds like bolt-on options like the Bushwacker flares are more meant for those wanting to cut them for larger tires. It says you can lave them uncut and black out the remaining bit of quarter panel, but
I'm worried that might look odd (sources like SOR, Cruiserparts.net, City Race LLC)

I'm not planning for large tires. More want the look and to tamp down a bit of mud spray since I live on a dirt road. The FJ has new paint from a couple years ago so I don't want to get into any cutting and welding, would rather just leave them off if that's what's needed, so hoping someone might have a few ideas.

Thanks!

None that I really know of, most nice-looking flares are custom, like @zerotreedelta's.

@roadstr6 Did you have to modify anything on the flares to make them fit? Did you have to cut any of the body? How do they mount? Can you share some more pictures? Are you still happy with them?
The body of my 40 was already cut with a set of the old Specter rubber flares installed. The rubber flares were torn and looked terrible. I just fitted the Heep flares up to the outside and scribed through the existing flare bolt holes with a paint pen. Drilled the mounting area of the Heep flares and bolted them on with stainless screws and nuts. I did end up cutting a little of the extra length off the ends of the Heep flares. Just used a razor knife and smoothed the edges with a little 400 grit sandpaper. I am happy with them. Been on the truck for six or seven years now. No more pics, sorry. Truck is in storage offsite at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom