Cracked dashes may potentially be resolved by Toyota (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put mine on the list last year to have the dash replaced. Check with dealer recently and they said Lexus didn't have any available and he didn't think Lexus would really ever replace all the dashes

My wife was kicking tires at one of the dealers 10 days ago. I told her to mention the dash recall, with the hope of getting on the list despite not having any cracks. The dealer did not inspect the dash but took down the VIN number. They said I qualified for the dash replacement for the "stickiness" issue. I thought it might take a year to get replaced, but I was just happy to be on the list.

5 days ago, the dealer called me and said the my new dash is in. It gets replaced today.

They did say the time frame can very based on the color of the dash.

Bottom line is, they are replacing them. Maybe try another dealer.

Mine didn't qualify for stickiness replacement earlier because the manufactured date was after 12/07 (2/08) according to the dealer.

Well, it's June now. I hope everybody with an 07 or earlier got on the list!

5 days ago, the dealer called me and said the my new dash is in. It gets replaced today.

How does it look?

I had mine done last month and have sent it back three times so far to fix stuff they messed up while replacing the dash. Will be taking it in for the fourth time shortly.

Picked it up friday morning, so I haven't spent much time looking at it. I just looked at the trim pieces to see if they were sitting flush. It looks good though.

Very happy with the service, and I usually hate working with dealerships. They did not need to replace my dash. They very easily could have said it was fine, and honestly, it probably was. I had them look at it before the deadline only because I thought it might give me some leverage if the dash did go bad later. I also assumed I would have a year wait and it might go bad during that time frame. No idea it was going to be fast.

They said they manipulated the photograph angle to make the luster of the dash look like the stickiness issue to get the approval from lexus.

Of course, they could could have left my old dash in and just told me it was replaced and I probably wouldn't have known. The evidence that they didn't is they took out some old satellite radio wires that were not being used (with my permission) and they said my wiring for my gps was damaged by someone previously. I don't rely on the gps anyway so no big deal.

I am so happy with my service, that I didn't mind paying the inflated price for a transmission flush.

This was a west valley dealership.

I'll let you know if I see any issues

Picked it up friday morning, so I haven't spent much time looking at it. I just looked at the trim pieces to see if they were sitting flush. It looks good though.

Very happy with the service, and I usually hate working with dealerships. They did not need to replace my dash. They very easily could have said it was fine, and honestly, it probably was. I had them look at it before the deadline only because I thought it might give me some leverage if the dash did go bad later. I also assumed I would have a year wait and it might go bad during that time frame. No idea it was going to be fast.

They said they manipulated the photograph angle to make the luster of the dash look like the stickiness issue to get the approval from lexus.

Of course, they could could have left my old dash in and just told me it was replaced and I probably wouldn't have known. The evidence that they didn't is they took out some old satellite radio wires that were not being used (with my permission) and they said my wiring for my gps was damaged by someone previously. I don't rely on the gps anyway so no big deal.

I am so happy with my service, that I didn't mind paying the inflated price for a transmission flush.

This was a west valley dealership.

I'll let you know if I see any issues
Haha sounds like my story. I got on the replacement list with 2 days to go, they said it would be 6 months or so. I had it inspected last year when I got the air bag module fixed, they said it was fine. I got paranoid that it would eventually crack. I told them it sort of felt slightly sticky in the very hot sun. I asked my wife, she said she didn't think so. Anyways I called the dealer and swung by for one last attempt and told them it felt slightly sticky in the heat (in my mind it did honestly, could've just been my paranoia). They said they would replace it. I'm sure they didn't have to, but they were very professional and laid back. My main reason is I am keeping this vehicle for a long time and I just have this feeling the dash would eventually crack.

Anybody else having problems with the new dash not fitting right? My dealer told me that the dash is a new mold and it doesn't fit exactly right because these cars are so old, so I should expect some misalignment. For example, they say this is the best they can do:

UL8nis7.jpg

Finally got my call for mine. Appointment all the way out in early August is the first available.

Anybody else having problems with the new dash not fitting right? My dealer told me that the dash is a new mold and it doesn't fit exactly right because these cars are so old, so I should expect some misalignment. For example, they say this is the best they can do:

UL8nis7.jpg
That issue is not the dash, that is the existing wood trim pieces that may have gotten deformed when they were pulling them off to replace the dash. Those wood covered plastic pieces take a beating from the sun and do deform over time.

Been on the list 8 months now. This wait is getting old. Called Lexus and of course there's zero clue when they'll be ready.

So if you buy an '07 now with cracked dash, are you SOL? Or would you be able to still have the dash replaced?

It is expired. Unlikely they will replace it now without charging unless you got on the list and are on the wait list.

So if you buy an '07 now with cracked dash, are you SOL? Or would you be able to still have the dash replaced?

Maybe. The letter Lexus sent out describes two different warranty extensions. The first one ended May 31, 2017. The secondary coverage says it is good for 10 years from the date of first use regardless of mileage but is only "for some owners" but doesn't explain who.

If you found a good GX with a cracked dash, and it's 2007 or newer, I would call Lexus with the VIN to find out if it would be covered.

That issue is not the dash, that is the existing wood trim pieces that may have gotten deformed when they were pulling them off to replace the dash. Those wood covered plastic pieces take a beating from the sun and do deform over time.

Thanks, I took a look at it this afternoon and you are right. It seems like the clips are broken off the back of the wood trim.

I went in on a Monday and made an appointment, Bell Lexus in Scottsdale had a dash in stock, and I had it replaced on a Friday. Mine was not cracked, but they were great about it.
As a luxury tech myself, I was leary to let someone else work on my truck, but they did a great job and would recommend them to anyone. They did scratch my windshield tint a bit but I can't replace a dash without doing it either, so I'm not upset.

UL8nis7.jpg

Mine looks EXACTLY like that when they finished the dash replacement. My wife and daughter picked it up and luckily they noticed and turned back. Hindsight is 20/20 and my wife then realized why several employees where lurking around and seemed "off" when she was about to leave the pick up area. Sneaky bastards!

They all pointed fingers and said "I thought ____ told you" when she showed back up and began to raise hell.

Anyways a new one was ordered ($600 according to them) and we got the call it was in last week. We just need to make the 4hr round trip to have it snapped on. They may not know it yet, but yes they will be reimbursing a tank of gas also.

Anyways, I wouldn't settle for that. Wasn't like that when you got there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom