Cracked dashes may potentially be resolved by Toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this on a different Toyota forum after reading complaint after complaint online of 4runner's and GX's dashes spiderwebbing with cracks. My wife's GX, which I'm working on a way to commandeer into a mild crawler, has a dash that looks ready to start having pieces fall off of it. So, while searching a way to replace it or decently cover it for the cheap (saw a vinyl wrap that was good) I happened across a thread that got updated a few days ago. Anyway, long story short: has anyone recieved one of these letters or is it bogus as I can't get the PDF letter to open on my work computer?

http://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/toyota-dash-cracking-warranty-extension-lsc-ze6.371/

Last edited:
I just got a warranty extension for the dash in my '03 in the mail so this is legit.

03-05, interesting. 06+ isn't affected? Mine is fine so far, but it doesn't look like it's seen much wear.

upload_2015-1-28_21-42-58.png

spoke with the service advisor at the local lexus dealership this morning. he said he just heard about the program a week ago. he was told they are producing dashes as fast as they can but it looks like it would be around June before they are ready to start bringing vehicles in to swap them out. he did mention though that people that had paid to have them replaced will be refunded in full pretty soon.

That's good to hear. My local Lexus dealership is 2 hours away and my local Toyota is about 10 minutes away if I catch the lights right. I'm hoping Toyota will do the work and save me a day trip into New Orleans or Mobile, AL.

HOLY CRAP this is great news. The damn dash cracking debacle was a total deal breaker for me, I wouldn't even consider a GX once I read about and saw all the horrible dash pads over on Club Lexus. Now... hmmm... that Highlander of ours is getting pretty old... hmmmm...

It's gonna be a WHILE before they have any dashes ready (like probably late this year). Hang onto those letters and you should get another notification when the remedy is available.

Another thing to note: a CSP (customer support program) is NOT a recall. They are not calling every vehicle back to replace the dash. IF your vehicle qualifies and IF you are experiencing the problem specifically outlined in the letter THEN they will replace the dash at NO charge (under warranty). You will have to take it in to the dealer for them to inspect it then order the dash. And like I said, it's not going to be anytime soon. BUT, kudos to Toyota for stepping up to the plate. They really do stand behind their products.

Edit: Also the notice I saw only listed the 03-05 4Runner from what I recall. I'll have to look again but I believe the later ones are not affected.

That's good news for many. I didn't see too many cracked GX dashes when I was servicing them. If I recall I t seemed like Lexus stepped up at the time out of warranty, but probably only if it was the original owner.

That's good to hear. My local Lexus dealership is 2 hours away and my local Toyota is about 10 minutes away if I catch the lights right. I'm hoping Toyota will do the work and save me a day trip into New Orleans or Mobile, AL.

Contact a dealer that will come pick it up and give you a loan car. The dealer I was at would go at least 2 hours and drop a loan car and deliver it back.

Toyota can't do Lexus and vice versa. Totally separate companies.

I'm still going to ask anyway. All they can do to me is say no.

That's true. But that's what they're going to say. We can't file any warranty claims for Lexus. I would go with the suggestion above and see if Lexus will pick the vehicle up and leave you a loaner.

Either way, at least they're doing something about it.

Sam speaks the truth.

There was a recall campaign on the crank pulley on the 5MZ V6 engine a few years ago. Same exact engine in my ES and my Highlander. The local Toyota dealer was happy to handle the Highlander, but refused to look at my ES, I had to take it to the Lexus dealer over an hour away.

Just got my letter two days ago about reimbursement for the people who already had their dashes replaced. Waiting on the second letter to inform us when replacement dashes will be ready at the dealers, they said Spring of this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom