Cracked dashes may potentially be resolved by Toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine looks EXACTLY like that when they finished the dash replacement. ...Anyways, I wouldn't settle for that. Wasn't like that when you got there.

Thanks man, I am getting frustrated with this dealership. I pointed out the radio trim immediately (along with other misaligned trim, scratched HVAC control, greasy fingerprints, and mysterious wire that appeared and continues to hang out on my passenger floor) and then left it overnight for them to fix it. They fixed only one thing and ignored all the rest, including the strange wire and greasy fingerprints. I have no idea how they don't see this stuff before it leaves the shop. Some of the trim panels now look like kids pried them apart with screwdrivers, gouged plastic that will never fit right again. I have called and gone back since then to try to convince them to fix this stuff and they have so far refused to do anything aside from wiping some of their greasy fingerprints off the grab handles while telling me things varying from "it's an old car" to "our guys wouldn't do this", basically calling me a liar to my face. At any rate, I expected much better from Lexus.

I would like to get this fixed but have no idea how to get them to do it.

Took my 2004 into the dealer prior to the cutoff date as mine has a few sticky spots that develop from time to time but no cracks (but read on!). After a rather rushed inspection, the dealer claimed my dash was good and "not eligible" for the ZLD extension. Fast forward two weeks and a crack appears just above the glovebox door. Called the dealer back and was told "no extensions on extensions, goodbye." Two weeks is two weeks too late. Opened a case with Lexus and they could not find any transmission of the repair order in the system (the lazy dealer didn't bother?). After a few weeks a case manager was assigned and he apologized for the unsatisfactory treatment from the dealer. Said he'd try to get me a replacement dash. A few more days go by and the case manager asks me to email him a copy of the repair order. Today I get a call from him with bad news: since the RO stated (on 4/20/2017) that my dash was fine, there is nothing he can do. I feel a bit double-crossed since I provided Lexus with the "evidence." Here I am with a freshly cracked dash and no recourse. Oh well. I may write a grievance letter to Lexus or maybe I'll just get a fabric cover for it. It's a 13 year old vehicle (as is my wife's Toyota and it's dash is pristine :bang:).

There is such a massive variance in treatment from dealer to dealer. I got mine inspected in december, they told me it was ok, no replacement. I figure it will eventually crack, so I called another dealer asking to get it looked at. They said sorry, it's noted on your vin# it was inspected and ok. With 5 days left in the period I called the original dealer back and said it was beginning to feel slightly sticky. They told me ok, we will order you one. 1 hour later the service manager says we have to reinspect the dash-bring it by. After looking at it they agreed to order a new one, probably sick of me pestering them. Now I'm worried about the stories told above about them not putting it back right haha.

Ha ha. Yeah. Maybe it's best that I don't get it replaced. I may wind up with worse issues!

My time has come! Just got the call from San Diego Lexus and my dash is in. And just today I noticed yet another crack develop. I swear there were no cracks in the dash when I bought this thing in December of 2015 and about 6 have popped up since then. And I religiously use a good quality sun visor.

Thanks, I took a look at it this afternoon and you are right. It seems like the clips are broken off the back of the wood trim.

I'm due to pick up my 2003 GX470 from getting the dashboard replaced. How do you check for the clips on the back of the wood trim? I just want to know prior to picking it up.

If the wood trim sticks up from the dash like Langsen's photos above then there is a good chance they are broken. But there is no way to know for sure unless you pop them off and look for yourself. And to pop them off I would watch some YouTube stereo install videos and you may need some plastic trim remover tools.

Well, perfect fit on replaced dashboard. Longo Lexus did well on this dashboard replacement.

Since it seems relevant, here are some other things to look out for when you pick up your GX after getting the dashboard replaced:

a) wood trim not sitting flush with front of radio:
T5maUCu.jpg

b) Pry marks and misaligned panels near glovebox:
r0cUzGX.jpg

pxA6vgF.jpg

c) Pry marks on passenger side of center console trim:
geqfSIK.jpg

d) Dent in passenger side AC vent. When I picked it up the first time, the "open / closed" dial at the bottom of the vent was inoperable because it was not protruding through the slot in the vent, the vertical dent may have resulted from their attempt to repair by prying it into place.
38DvcWF.jpg

e) Panel not installed correctly at rear of center console. Both left and right front kickpanels near the front edge of the doors were also like this.
BGmcyzc.jpg

f) Pry mark:
RWBmQKG.jpg

g) Yellow paint mark on top of steering wheel / steering column. They attempted to wash this off but it remains visible.
0sDM5ww.jpg

h & i) Misaligned trim; A wire appeared that I have never seen before.
owJHu45.jpg

j) Dirty fingerprints on passenger side near glovebox and on A-pillar above passenger AC vent:
IiqXbQ6.jpg

Also check for dirty handprints on both A-pillar grab handles. The dealership did clean mine after some discussion. But that's all they have done as far as repairing the damaged trim.

Other stuff that was damaged: RSE system no longer works; glovebox light no longer works; and they knocked one of the fancy gold corners off my owner's manual.

There is probably more stuff to be on the lookout for but this what I noticed on mine. Earnhardt Lexus, I cannot recommend. I normally wouldn't post the name of the dealership, but I have already given them 3 chances to fix this stuff.

Take pics before you drop it off!

That's one crap job on the dashboard replacement. I'm assuming the dashboard for the non-Navi is the same as the navigation one. Horribly misaligned

Since it seems relevant, here are some other things to look out for when you pick up your GX after getting the dashboard replaced:

a) wood trim not sitting flush with front of radio:
T5maUCu.jpg

b) Pry marks and misaligned panels near glovebox:
r0cUzGX.jpg

pxA6vgF.jpg

c) Pry marks on passenger side of center console trim:
geqfSIK.jpg

d) Dent in passenger side AC vent. When I picked it up the first time, the "open / closed" dial at the bottom of the vent was inoperable because it was not protruding through the slot in the vent, the vertical dent may have resulted from their attempt to repair by prying it into place.
38DvcWF.jpg

e) Panel not installed correctly at rear of center console. Both left and right front kickpanels near the front edge of the doors were also like this.
BGmcyzc.jpg

f) Pry mark:
RWBmQKG.jpg

g) Yellow paint mark on top of steering wheel / steering column. They attempted to wash this off but it remains visible.
0sDM5ww.jpg

h & i) Misaligned trim; A wire appeared that I have never seen before.
owJHu45.jpg

j) Dirty fingerprints on passenger side near glovebox and on A-pillar above passenger AC vent:
IiqXbQ6.jpg

Also check for dirty handprints on both A-pillar grab handles. The dealership did clean mine after some discussion. But that's all they have done as far as repairing the damaged trim.

Other stuff that was damaged: RSE system no longer works; glovebox light no longer works; and they knocked one of the fancy gold corners off my owner's manual.

There is probably more stuff to be on the lookout for but this what I noticed on mine. Earnhardt Lexus, I cannot recommend. I normally wouldn't post the name of the dealership, but I have already given them 3 chances to fix this stuff.

Take pics before you drop it off!

I should have done this before I dropped off my truck. Luckily the only issue I have is the wood trim not lining up with the radio. Good advice for those who are still waiting to get theirs replaced.

Just left from getting the passenger side wood panel replaced from the clips breaking during dash replacement.

For our troubles Mobile Lexus filled gas tank, washed and detailed the truck also.

Figured we'd have to twist their arm a bit, but it was done without even mentioning it.

Was expecting to get a call late this morning that I could get my truck but nothing two full days now for the dash replacement. Glad I took the loaner vehicle!

Probably because I questioned my service rep on how many of these they had done and showed them the horror story photos above. Guess they are either really taking their time or they broke something and are waiting on a replacement part. :hmm:

Your preventive measures will ensure you will get a good dashboard replacement. They know you are going to check when you pick up.

Was expecting to get a call late this morning that I could get my truck but nothing two full days now for the dash replacement. Glad I took the loaner vehicle!

Probably because I questioned my service rep on how many of these they had done and showed them the horror story photos above. Guess they are either really taking their time or they broke something and are waiting on a replacement part. :hmm:

Has anybody gotten a quote on how much it would cost to replace the dash after May 31st?.

So I got her back finally after 3 full days and everything looks good and everything checked out to be working.

I only noticed two minor things; some finger prints on the light tan a pillar on the passenger side. And I noticed a rub mark, doesn't appear to be a full scratch, on the clear plastic of the Gauge cluster. Thinking it could buff out but not a big deal for me.

IMG_9622.JPG

IMG_9623.JPG

IMG_9624.JPG

Nice free repairs to freshen up the interior and make it safer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom