Choke cable variations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm sure that many Cruisers have had the choke cable replaced over the years. My 2/71 has an early choke cable installed. No idea which PO did it. It wasn't my brother or me.

Questions about the 82-84 illuminated choke cable. Same bulb as a headlight switch by chance?
Anyone got one for sale or have a good picture of one?

Something I can actually contribute.

12V 1.5W bulb. See pics.
20170206_193903.jpg

20170206_194024.jpg

20170206_194047.jpg

-Geoff

Thank you sir. I have never seen one of those. It certainly makes this thread more complete.

Still looking for input from 74-80 folks on which ones have the single detent and which ones have the multi-position ratchet. I installed one of the multi-position ones in place of my OE in the 64lwb on saturday. Tested it out on the 300 mile drive sunday to pick up my engine. It works very well. Attention @RAGINGMATT

78 I have 1 detent about halfway.

I need one for a '78, which has the stranded cable an the sheath. What's the best way to get ahold of you, call you on the phone?

Telephone VM is the only way, other than posting. Since this isn't a total thread hijack, I will respond here. I don't have any of those cables you described for sale.

Something I can actually contribute.

12V 1.5W bulb. See pics.

-Geoff
That's awesome! I want one of those! That is a standard BA7 bulb so the LED version of it will fit. If all the lit choke switches have the amber lens, then use an amber or white BA7 LED.

Mark, I left a VM for you early last week regarding choke and vent cables for a 12/71.

Thanks,

Jesse

VM replied to.;)

Sorting out about two dozen late model warm pull cables I found this little fella hiding out:

IMG_0953.JPG

Still looking for input from 74-80 folks on which ones have the single detent and which ones have the multi-position ratchet. I installed one of the multi-position ones in place of my OE in the 64lwb on saturday. Tested it out on the 300 mile drive sunday to pick up my engine. It works very well. Attention @RAGINGMATT

Based Solely on all the Various & Variations of Late Model 2F Cores Get Exchanged back In when A Restored one goes out .

- I see far less Multi-position detent ratchet stop's / Far More Single ones

- The Multi-position detent ratchet stop's Started in 8/80- later With The Upgrade / Addition of The brass barrel stop equipped Choke butterfly shaft mount set up

- The Early 2F carbs W/ The Phillips Head set screw clamp type that frays the strand cable end 1/75 -7/80 had only the one detent ratchet

- The 8/80 - Later Brass Barrel Stop Upgrade must have required more precise adjustment due to increasing emissions warm up features
& hence more fine tune adjustments ...

- I Have addressed Both Topics with a Modern OEM & JDM Focus Point & Period correct details Mindset :

- I Add Additional Multi-position detent ratchet stop's ( Grooves ) by hand , same detail as original profile on early single de-tent shafts

- I Alloy Base ( max troy weight / super high strength ) Silver Solder Solid , the last 3 inches of My Upgraded Stainless Steel Stranded Cable for early Set Screw Type carbs , No More Fraying after repeated Phillips head cinch-downs

- NOTE : I based My Pro-date info off the SOR 2F carburetor Identifier page pics Page 042 Land Cruiser Carburetor Identifier

Second are the 9/66-7/70 variety, marked by the large unframed choke butterfly inside a recessed head. Bare spiral sheath, solid core.

View attachment 1395691
That's awesome! I want one of those! That is a standard BA7 bulb so the LED version of it will fit. If all the lit choke switches have the amber lens, then use an amber or white BA7 LED.

The White BA7 LED has the highest Lu-men out put , In the case / Use of it on My USA Spec. 1978 Era Lighted head lamp Knob
( LIGHTS ) ,
It provided the best overall Knob Illumination ,

I also Tried a GREEN BA7 LED , noticeably dimmer , and darker green then original Translucent Knob FONT

aqua marine or ( OEM Washer Hose Tint color )

I know this is OFF the Cables Thread topic , But relevant to the amber lit late model Elec. Choke Comment , In that case U have a wide big Translucent lens , & it is made out of the same darn close sheet of Rear amber Turn signal lens material

I have also installed in the The Amber BA7 , it gave off a very Even warm bright glow / No Center Lighter hot spot from white bulb
Better choice color on color this case

Based Solely on all the Various & Variations of Late Model 2F Cores Get Exchanged back In when A Restored one goes out .

- I see far less Multi-position detent ratchet stop's / Far More Single ones

- The Multi-position detent ratchet stop's Started in 8/80- later With The Upgrade / Addition of The brass barrel stop equipped Choke butterfly shaft mount set up

- The Early 2F carbs W/ The Phillips Head set screw clamp type that frays the strand cable end 1/75 -7/80 had only the one detent ratchet

- The 8/80 - Later Brass Barrel Stop Upgrade must have required more precise adjustment due to increasing emissions warm up features
& hence more fine tune adjustments ...

- I Have addressed Both Topics with a Modern OEM & JDM Focus Point & Period correct details Mindset :

- I Add Additional Multi-position detent ratchet stop's ( Grooves ) by hand , same detail as original profile on early single de-tent shafts

- I Alloy Base ( max troy weight / super high strength ) Silver Solder Solid , the last 3 inches of My Upgraded Stainless Steel Stranded Cable for early Set Screw Type carbs , No More Fraying after repeated Phillips head cinch-downs

- NOTE : I based My Pro-date info off the SOR 2F carburetor Identifier page pics Page 042 Land Cruiser Carburetor Identifier

What's interesting to me about the particular cable I just put on the truck is that not only is it multi-position as you might expect with a later model set up, but it is solid wire in an exposed spiral sheath, which is totally old school. Doesn't fit the profile, which is why I' m looking for others to chime in.

Mark,

what is the knob era / Shaft Tube Look like on this Particular cable U are intrigued about ?

- is it removable or cast on shaft NON removable ?

- I have a few solid core wire hand throttle cables , with multi detent stops , and have original spiral cable old school set up ...?

They are either FJ55 choke or throttles , or a early dash mount hand throttle

- i have noticed a few larger vendor web sites , have some NOS FJ55 one currently for sale ?

- CCOT has the best photo's / reference / year applications of long since discontinued that i know of .......

Toyota Factory Choke Cables

- After the First generation 1964 era NO-Detent / NO Stops Throttles & Chokes , All My Reference Samples & Cores trade-in's

( Hand Throttle's only ) both early - MID dash mount & later bracket under dash peddle mount type ALL had multi detent stops , solid core & strand wire alike

Here are Both ,

- The Early FJ40 1/75 -7/80 2F Carb. Phillips Head Set Screw Type used As A Cable Stop , ( The Frayed Strand Wire cable Cause )

- The Later FJ40 8/80 - Later 2F Carb. Requiring the use of the Brass Barrel Cable Stop Type attachment method
( This Eliminated The Frayed Strand Wire Cable issue

- This Particular 8/ 80 - Later Choke Cable Core Did Have The Multiple De-Tent Ratchet Stop Position Grooves on The D Groove Shaft as well , The early one above did Not ,
only the One End Stop Groove ......

DSCN2443 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
- Here is a Very Very early FJ25 ( late 1950's era ) Matching vehicle Set Post Restore ,

- 2 New Technology Related / Restore parts Updates :

- have finally sourced and Now standard on later black liner restores , Thick " as " OEM Metric Solid Brass / Bronze alloy cable end cap Ferrell's , No more chrome plated brass unless special request Sec.

- Early style Metric Galvanized Spiral Cable liner , modern internal multi layer products Nylon Sleeve anti wear / anti corrosion inner core ,
this is that has a Totally Non - Visible , even at sharp transition curves / tight turns , This also now standard part used

DSCN2627.JPG
DSCN2629.JPG
DSCN2662.JPG
DSCN2669.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom