Carolina Relic Run 2024 - April 17-21 OFFICIAL Info Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would look for Midland GMRS that are USB rechargeable. We have Midland GMRS spare radios however once they die, I need 120V to recharge them and they are very slow to recharge. We typically charge both of them at home and carry them just in case but rely heavily on our Baofeng radios for communication.

BTW, you can get normal and extended USB rechargeable batteries for the Baofengs.
You can also get "battery" packs that have a 12v cigarette lighter plug and a 3ft cable built into them so it's always on vehicle power

I am considering going to this. I’ve always wanted to. @ClemsonCruiser says it’s a great event. The safe bet is that I’ll be in my half reliable 1971 FJ40. But, as an outlier, I might drag (maybe literally) a primer’ed 1964 LV that needs EVERYTHING there.

Registered, planned on Wednesday but employment got in the way. Heading down after work on Friday. @roadstr6 do you still have the 100 series load bars?

Registered, planned on Wednesday but employment got in the way. Heading down after work on Friday. @roadstr6 do you still have the 100 series load bars?
Travis, I do have the load bars and I'll bring them.

Although we have already met last year's record attendance level, I made the executive decision to extend Early Bird registration until end of day 3/28/2024. Register by then to guarantee a T-shirt with your driver registration. We will have more on site for sale than we did last year but there are no guarantees outside of registering before midnight tonight!

Angus and Crock Pot registered.
IMG_4223.jpeg

Well that's no fun... Apparently Dickey-Bell and Dutch John will be closed through July... 😑 Just saw this posted on the Uwharrie FB group.
1000031416.jpg

Well that's no fun... Apparently Dickey-Bell and Dutch John will be closed through July... 😑 Just saw this posted on the Uwharrie FB group.
View attachment 3594463

We're just learning about this as well. Usfs just announced it this week, @neslrac posted a thread with the announcement. He (Kurt) is our bod Uwharrie representative.

The upside is that the forest service is continuing to invest in the trails, meaning they'll be open for years to come. This is good for all of us. Bad timing for the event, but we do have arrangements with another trail system nearby to use for I think Friday.

Point being, minor inconvenience, but better long term outlook. I'm all for it.

Is Grand Overland night time too? Asking because I will get there late Friday.

General PSA

If you haven't purchased a GMRS license from the FCC, I highly recommend it before coming to the Relic Run.

You'll need a GMRS license, to transmit with a GMRS radio, while on trail. Even if you don't have a GMRS radio (but have a license), you can still barrow one from the club registration table, or from someone at camp. It will make communication much easier (and clearer) in Uwharrie and at Grand Overland.

Considering making the trek down there since my old 40 will be there, are trail runs open to "non" relic varieties of Toyotas? Are you going to be checking for GMRS licenses?

Last edited:
@kbahus non relics are encouraged to attend. The GMRS license is a 15 minute inconvenience and is then good for something like five years. Come on down, you will enjoy the event. It keeps getting bigger and cooler each year.

I will look into the GMRS license, for some reason I thought the test was a big deal, I might be confused with HAM.

I will look into the GMRS license, for some reason I thought the test was a big deal, I might be confused with HAM.
No test for GMRS, just a license application process and about $35 IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom