Blue fan clutch mod...Thread has gone to hell, read at your own risk (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I took the advice of Tools R Us (RIP) and used 30K fluid. Figured that I'd listen to the expert. I live in the PNW, so I may not have needed it, but so far it works awesome. Then again, it better work awesome in winter. Summer trips to the desert will be the real test.

I was unaware there were different fans. What's the difference?

16361-17040 fan blade assembly for diesel Landcruiser models 1/98- with 1HDFTE and late 1HZ engines

Landcruiser HDJ78 HDJ79 HDJ100 HZJ78 HZJ79 HZJ105 1/98-8/07

from: All Four X 4 Spares - Australia's 4WD Spare Parts Supermarket
Note: Funny, described as Red Dot fan but the image on the website clearly has a yellow dot.

Radiator Fan suitable for Landcruiser HZJ79 HZJ105 Red Dot Genuine

This is a genuine Toyota 8 bladed radiator fan

Please note this fan does not fit the entire range of the below vehicles - see notes

This fan has a red dot sticker on one of the blades
Check your vehicle to see if you have red dot or blue (if you have genuine Toyota fan)

This fan has approx 51mm thick center hub - see images
Blue dot fans measure approx 47mm

Suits:
Landcruiser HZJ79 - note: manufactured to 7/2001
Landcruiser HZJ105 - note: manufactured to 7/2002

The above are approximate change points from the red sticker fan (51mm) to the blue (47mm)

Please supply your vehicles VIN number to confirm fitment before purchasing

Part number for reference: 16361-17030
Equivalent original equipment part number(s) provided for reference purposes only

If you require the blue dot / 47mm version please see our listing below

16361-17040 fan blade assembly for diesel Landcruiser models 1/98- with 1HDFTE and late 1HZ engines

Landcruiser HDJ78 HDJ79 HDJ100 HZJ78 HZJ79 HZJ105 1/98-8/07

from: All Four X 4 Spares - Australia's 4WD Spare Parts Supermarket
Note: Funny, described as Red Dot fan but the image on the website clearly has a yellow dot.

Radiator Fan suitable for Landcruiser HZJ79 HZJ105 Red Dot Genuine

This is a genuine Toyota 8 bladed radiator fan

Please note this fan does not fit the entire range of the below vehicles - see notes

This fan has a red dot sticker on one of the blades
Check your vehicle to see if you have red dot or blue (if you have genuine Toyota fan)

This fan has approx 51mm thick center hub - see images
Blue dot fans measure approx 47mm

Suits:
Landcruiser HZJ79 - note: manufactured to 7/2001
Landcruiser HZJ105 - note: manufactured to 7/2002

The above are approximate change points from the red sticker fan (51mm) to the blue (47mm)

Please supply your vehicles VIN number to confirm fitment before purchasing

Part number for reference: 16361-17030
Equivalent original equipment part number(s) provided for reference purposes only

If you require the blue dot / 47mm version please see our listing below
^^^^Why ILUVMUD.

Negative. The resistance of moving the fan after initial startup is relative to the temperature of the air passing over it from the radiator and it’s influence of the temp spring of the clutch. In very cold weather you can expect the clutch to have very little resistance.

Hm….yes.
But we were discussing when the engine is off.
With off engine, if we spin the fan and it offers resistance, then the fan clutch its OK.

The earlier message was, that at cold stage, the fan offers resistance when try to spin with finger.
And after driving 20 min, shut off the engine and again try to spin the fan with finger, it moves freely.

So technically either its running less amount of silicone oil inside it. Or viscosity of the oil is too thin, imho.

Hm….yes.
But we were discussing when the engine is off.
With off engine, if we spin the fan and it offers resistance, then the fan clutch its OK.

The earlier message was, that at cold stage, the fan offers resistance when try to spin with finger.
And after driving 20 min, shut off the engine and again try to spin the fan with finger, it moves freely.

So technically either its running less amount of silicone oil inside it. Or viscosity of the oil is too thin, imho.
at rest the oil settles to the lowest point of the clutch which allows oil to be in the shearing area giving resistance when turning.

once you start the engine you get a roar as the clutch is shearing that oil and pumping it into the control dude behind the valve. Once this is accomplished the clutch will turn freely because there is no oil to shear.

at this point any resistance you do feel is based on how much heat is being transferred to the air passing through the radiator and opening up the valve to allow oil to pass into the drive area and be seared.

so technically, there is nothing wrong with the clutch turning freely after 20 minutes unless it shouldn’t.

Didn't want to bump but I've read a ton of threads on this but still not sure. Should I stick with my Eaton and replace the fluid or buy the aisin blue fan clutch and mod? It seems like some like the Eaton and some like the blue but there's not a general consensus on which is better

Didn't want to bump but I've read a ton of threads on this but still not sure. Should I stick with my Eaton and replace the fluid or buy the aisin blue fan clutch and mod? It seems like some like the Eaton and some like the blue but there's not a general consensus on which is better

Your Eaton is good quality and should do just fine with a fluid change.

I kept my Eaton. Drained and filled with about 50 ml of 15k fluid. Did just fine in the S. Texas summer.

I refilled my Eaton with 15 or 20K 7-8 years ago. It worked I guess, but didn’t make much noise. I snagged a black hub from the classifieds 2 years ago and put either 15 or 20K in it. It really roars. I KNOW that baby works!

Umm, why was the title of this thread renamed to "...has gone to hell, read at your own risk"?

Is there some recent info that says this mod is harmful? Or, is the rename just a heads up to take caution when doing the mod?

Umm, why was the title of this thread renamed to "...has gone to hell, read at your own risk"?

Is there some recent info that says this mod is harmful? Or, is the rename just a heads up to take caution when doing the mod?
I'm curious as well. It's a good mod. I did mine 10 years ago and it's still going strong.

I am going to replace my oil as part of prep for a turbo. What is the recommended weight oil? Truck will operate in everything from -40c to +30c. where is the best place to get it?

50+ pages on any subject is bound to ramble and be tough to follow. The mod is sound, there are a few choices as to how to cater it to your personal needs.

Hi, I got some of my fluid from Toyota,some from eBay and some from hobby shops. 10,000-15,000 is fine in the green fans. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom