Builds Big Red Toy (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Punisher logo looks awesome in Iraq/Syria. In the US I think it comes off tacky or pretentious

I am glad you said this I was thinking it but as we don't know each other I wasn't sure how to put it. I work with a few jeep guys and they are always talking about grille/hood/roof decals. Maybe I have a bad perspective from having to listen to them all the time but I would shy away from putting something a jeep guy would like on something as awesome as your 60. Could be just me though

So I'm back to driving government owned land cruisers for a while, but really miss Big Red.

Today I drove around in a Prado and saw this little selector knob. Anyone know the difference in the settings?

20170504_143600.jpg

From this thread: Limited's Full-Time 4WD Like AWD? - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

H4F = High gear "free" (unlocked) --> I call it "F"reeway mode.
H4L = Locked but high gear. This will drag a tire when making a tight turn and should only be used in required conditions and not as an 'always on" mode.
L4L = Low gear & locked (you have to be in neutral and press the button to switch to this mode or out of it). This is the low gear mode you will use when on off road trails or other road conditions that require high torque but low speed and again minimal tight turns.

Thanks Dave. You probably just saved the transfer case of that (and other) land cruisers. I think Toyota owns the Middle East. I did see a few G wagens though.

Very cool Mike. How long is your rotation this time around?

Very cool Mike. How long is your rotation this time around?
I can't say, plus it's subject to change. By the time it's over I would have been in 3 different ISIS infested countries.

They are 5-bolt, stay safe!

Does anyone know what turbo would work better for a compound set up with 3.73 gearing. I have the stock hx30 and can't figure out which is better a 62/14 or 62/12 for the larger turbo. Anyone have any idea?

Your in uncharted waters with me but I can't wait to see how it turns out.

62/14 and 62/12, is that inducer size/turbine housing cm2? Not familiar with that sizing method.

62 is inducer on the compressor and 12 or 14 is the exhaust housing size. I'd say go with the 14, and that would be the smallest I'd run especially since you've got an inline pump and have more fueling potential. I've run a bunch of different sizes (advantage of using a variable vane turbo for my primary/atmosphere) and am currently in the 16cm range now (so in your language a 60/16) and playing at 55psi.

Some teaser pics
Big red going bigger.
Resized_20170711_123404.jpeg

Completely uparmored
20170618_084619.jpg

The boys that keep me employed.
20170624_225413.jpg

Kind of crazy but I'm pretty sure I am where you are (just enough in the background giving it away). I'll be leaving soon, too. It's always fun trading one landcruiser for another, but I'm looking forward to getting back home to mine. Be safe man.

More teaser pics.
I want to say thanks to @copperhead37 for selling me his awesome off-road trailer and being patient with me while i figured out the logistics of getting it to Texas from Florida while I'm overseas.

Anyway here are some awesome pics.

20170731_193817.jpg

20170731_193826.jpg

20170731_193834.jpg

20170731_210712.jpg

20170801_121358.jpg

I guess it's time for an update. Big Red is still getting the second turbo installed. Probably be done sometime in October. Need to get studs installed and a new gasket along with new intercooler piping. The guy working on it is doing me a favor so I can't really rush him.

I had promised my family I would take them to see the eclipse if I returned from Syria in time, so it was time to make good on my promise. However the with Big Red being out of commission, the other options were the VW or my wife's civic. I hate the Civic, so the VW it is. After going to the beach the VW's AC compressor seized and so I had to make a decision to replace the compressor on an 11-year-old car or buy another Toyota. Toyota it is. MUD I want you to meet Ron Burgundy ( the name started off as a joke and kinda stuck).

20170816_130634.jpg

It was the only TRD OffRoad manual transmission vehicle with all the accessories I needed in Texas. It was 3 hours away and well worth the drive in the non AC VW to pick it up. Aurora has forbidden me from modifying it, so Big Red will remain in the family for a long long time. The Tacoma had no issues towing our trailer all the way to Illinois and back. I had taken a liking to driving Toyotas in Iraq and more recently Syria, so this was an enjoyable ride, though it's not a diesel.

Anyway enough talk, here are some pics.

20170817_141505.jpg

Saw this guy on the way, somehow I'm not surprised. Oh and my favorite option is the built in go pro holder.

20170818_162139.jpg

We camped in the Ozarks for free.

20170818_070926.jpg

It poured on us the second night, but it was fun none the less. The trailer kept everything dry and the tent really is water proof.

20170818_201921.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• JoeW
Back
Top Bottom