Best replacement radiator for the money today... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just to update....going to have to recommend AVOIDING the KOYORAD.
I had to finally replace alternator yesterday after months of intermittent battery lamp illumination and low output. I chose the route of removing fan and shroud to remove through top incase there were issues with connector. I purchased a used alternator from bone yard and rebuilt with new bearings, regulator and brushes.
I noticed red crusty along the seam of the top tank and core. Purchased 03/16/21, installed within the month of receiving I beleive at same time I replaced bearing in ac comp pulley. 15-20K mi on it. 9 mo out of warranty.
If I expect to make it to 500k thats another 13 KOYOs or $2600 not including time and coolant.
Bumping this thread to reply to this post. I had the exact same issue with my KOYO radiator on my 04 LX470. Purchase was made from "PartsGeek" in March 2021, and was installed in March of 2021. I developed a crack in the upper part of my radiator on the header, right by the fins, under wear the intake hose connects. I only got around 17,000 miles out of my KOYO rad, and I was 10 months out of warranty. I am really disappointed with this radiator b/c it came highly recommend over the OEM replacement and was also a direct fit. I called KOYO last week b/c I noticed on there website they have a warranty for their failed radiators as long as you can validate proof of purchase, and are also willing to provide pictures. I however, got a different story from the KOYO rep that I talked to on the phone. The individual that I spoke with told me that KOYO goes by the warranty that their sellers provide to the customers at the time of purchase. So pretty much since I am 10 months out of warranty, I'm SOL...smh

20240117_113959.jpg

Bumping this thread to reply to this post. I had the exact same issue with my KOYO radiator on my 04 LX470. Purchase was made from "PartsGeek" in March 2021, and was installed in March of 2021. I developed a crack in the upper part of my radiator on the header, right by the fins, under wear the intake hose connects. I only got around 17,000 miles out of my KOYO rad, and I was 10 months out of warranty. I am really disappointed with this radiator b/c it came highly recommend over the OEM replacement and was also a direct fit. I called KOYO last week b/c I noticed on there website they have a warranty for their failed radiators as long as you can validate proof of purchase, and are also willing to provide pictures. I however, got a different story from the KOYO rep that I talked to on the phone. The individual that I spoke with told me that KOYO goes by the warranty that their sellers provide to the customers at the time of purchase. So pretty much since I am 10 months out of warranty, I'm SOL...smh
Thanks for the pic! That's the precise spot of my leak. Can't wait to take mine to the scrapper.

Thanks for the pic! That's the precise spot of my leak. Can't wait to take mine to the scrapper.
Kinda makes me wonder if we should make a thread on the KOYO radiator, and it's failure issues and see how many people come forward with the same issues. Then send the link to KOYO to make them aware of this. 15,000 miles on a 2-1/2 year old radiator is not alot of mileage.
I know issues were happening with the OEM radiator in the 200 series L.C's/LX's and Toyota for awhile was taking care of people, due to alot of the radiator's failing before 150,000 miles.

Kinda makes me wonder if we should make a thread on the KOYO radiator, and it's failure issues and see how many people come forward with the same issues. Then send the link to KOYO to make them aware of this. 15,000 miles on a 2-1/2 year old radiator is not alot of mileage.
I know issues were happening with the OEM radiator in the 200 series L.C's/LX's and Toyota for awhile was taking care of people, due to alot of the radiator's failing before 150,000 miles.
I think it is a good idea. It will draw attention to a possible defect and raise awareness with potential purchasers.

I recomended a Koyo to a freind after putting one in my own truck. He has it replaced last week. Sucks

I am shocked!!!

I received a quote for a radiator for my LX470 from the local Toyota dealer.
$650.19 AUD..........
That's is a great price for OEM.

I ordered a OEM radiator from local dealer and it arrived this past Saturday They ended up matching the price on Toyotapartsdeal.com which was $488.00. However, I ended it up having to send it back and order another one. When the parts guy and I opened the box to inspect the radiator, 3 of the 4 corners on one side of the fins that had been resting on the cardboard shipping strips, were bent.

I am even more shocked.
Lexus dealer came back with a qoute OEM radiator: $618 AUD.

After 24 years in Louisiana and 394,000 miles, my original OEM radiator finally started leaking. I'm due for timing belt replacement anyways, was planning to do it at 400k miles so might have to tackle it all a couple of months earlier than planned now but no big deal. That OEM radiator is a legend for lasting this long.

Have people been able to drive with these leaking for awhile or do they fail catastrophically at some point? Mine appears to be hair line cracks right now.

Edit: Leaking like a sieve this morning.

Last edited:
I just replaced my factory radiator at 302k on my new to me ‘98. No leaks, minimal discoloration/stress cracks, but I’m doing a full baseline and had it apart for timing belt/WP/VC gaskets anyway. Replaced a busted shroud and the hoses as well. The best deal I found on OEM was at Olathe Toyota Parts. $359! Shipping was $88, but I also got the shroud which required two shipments. It arrived safe and sound, and installation was a breeze.

Buy OEM while you still can. Seems like the rad prices have come down in the last few years. Here’s to another 300k! (Hopefully one of my daughters will claim it in the future, but that just means I’ll have to find another one…)

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0026.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom