Best Place To Search for Used 40's Besides Craigslist/Ebay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any other good sources to look for used FJ40's besides Craigslist or Ebay Autos?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I have purchased from CL, MUD, local classifieds, and also just driving around keeping my eye out and making offers. Always have cash ready to go, even when the banks are closed. I check CL about 10 times a day, and if something is posted, usually I'm the first one there with cash.

eBay completed items is good too. Most don't sell when listed and you can see what they got bid up to without reserve met. Then go from there.

Also, search Craig's "landcruiser" one word. Lots of people make that mistake evidently.

drive the back roads, you'll be surprised what you see behind garages and barns.
don't be afraid to knock on some doors.
ask co-workers who are out and about to keep there eyes open for you.

drive the back roads, you'll be surprised what you see behind garages and barns.
don't be afraid to knock on some doors.
ask co-workers who are out and about to keep there eyes open for you.

This.^^^. Once they get advertised, they get priced higher. My .02

Just curious why your looking for another 40? You got a great 40 from your dad

Not looking too hard but someday I want a 2nd one. Mainly because I always wanted my own but also I don't want abuse my dad's which is pretty mint. Would like a "Beater" someday I can use like they were designed to be used.

They are also now salting roads up here in Central/Northern Arizona as well-thought I was done with this idiocy when I left the East??!! So much for rust free Arizona vehicles-thanks to our local idiots!!!!

They are also now salting roads up here in Central/Northern Arizona as well-thought I was done with this idiocy when I left the East??!! So much for rust free Arizona vehicles-thanks to our local idiots!!!!

That's very unfortunate to hear. When did this start?

I have purchased from CL, MUD, local classifieds, and also just driving around keeping my eye out and making offers. Always have cash ready to go, even when the banks are closed. I check CL about 10 times a day, and if something is posted, usually I'm the first one there with cash.

Interesting ... are you buying and then flipping them mostly?

Maybe I'm just jaded from my last ten years of land use volunteering, but my guess is Arizona is amassing a huge surplus of salt as a result of being ground zero for the United States requirements to desalinize the Colorado River from all its agricultural runoff. :rolleyes:

Some brilliant capitalist in the legislature probably realized the state could hang on to more federal aid dollars if they just scattered the salt on the roads instead of PAYING to have the pesticide laden salts hauled as hazardous waste.

Last edited:
Oregon does NOT use salt. I have found tons of low to no rust Land Cruisers over the last couple decades. East of the cascades is very dry, lots of ranches and hiding places for Land Cruisers.

@jetranger has the best advice imo. Being Johnny on the spot when one pops up for sale is key. Relentless searching several times a day. It's not by chance the guys that continue to find the best deals and Cruisers do it over and over again.

Best advice I can give, don't look too hard for one, the right ones seem to show when your not looking

Our last 77 fj40 was advertised ONLY in the local newspaper......just said 76 fj40 original $2500. It was in the paper for a week and I was the 1st to call. Easy 10k 40.

It was being sold for an estate so it had to be posted in paper

My 82, found looking sad in a driveway, no for sale sign, knocked on door....."you here for the 40" that turned out to be a one owner orignal rust free 40.

45lpb.....looked all over heck, gave up, got a call from a guy I met a year before, had told him if he waneed to sell let me know, he did....next day it came home.

Our fj62, had ours totaled, we looked for a replacement for months. One day at grocery store a 90 comes rolling up with a for sale sign in window. .....1 owner perfect shape....it came home.

78....been stored at my next door neighbors for 5 years, never asked about it, one day I did, offered to help work on it if needed. Owner died 3 days latter. Told family I would value it and help sell. Response was, we never want to see it again. So I took it home, maybe 100 ft....

Just saying, they turn up in places you woukd not expect.

Best advice I can give, don't look too hard for one, the right ones seem to show when your not looking

Our last 77 fj40 was advertised ONLY in the local newspaper......just said 76 fj40 original $2500. It was in the paper for a week and I was the 1st to call. Easy 10k 40.

It was being sold for an estate so it had to be posted in paper

My 82, found looking sad in a driveway, no for sale sign, knocked on door....."you here for the 40" that turned out to be a one owner orignal rust free 40.

45lpb.....looked all over heck, gave up, got a call from a guy I met a year before, had told him if he waneed to sell let me know, he did....next day it came home.

Our fj62, had ours totaled, we looked for a replacement for months. One day at grocery store a 90 comes rolling up with a for sale sign in window. .....1 owner perfect shape....it came home.

78....been stored at my next door neighbors for 5 years, never asked about it, one day I did, offered to help work on it if needed. Owner died 3 days latter. Told family I would value it and help sell. Response was, we never want to see it again. So I took it home, maybe 100 ft....

Just saying, they turn up in places you woukd not expect.

That Suburban we took up to Seattle for our visit in 2004? It passed me on the freeway with a FOR SALE sign in the window. I pulled up alongside, keyed the number into the cellphone, and dialed when I reached my next stop.

Looking for a trail rig? Mine the database for unfinished builds and contact anyone that hasn't posted for a year. Most of the parts rigs I bought in the '90s were unfinished builds that ran out of steam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom