Bad Lower Ball Joints??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping you all could help me diagnose this. For the record I am a converted Land Rover guy. I heard durability and capability and came running to here. Been great ever since.

I have a 2002 LC with 212,XXX miles with brand new 33 in. BFG KO2s. I am hearing a creak/rattle coming from my front driver tire. Mostly on rough roads and when I turn into my inclined driveway. I also get a slight steering wheel wobble at highway speeds. I'm 90% sure its the lower ball joint. Now is it just the bushing or a whole assembly?

I am installing new OEM shocks and swing arm links next week and want to get it narrowed down.

Anyone had experience changing them out? If not was the shop you used nice to your wallet?

Thanks and any insight would help!

There's a couple of good threads already on this topic, use the search function on this site. Sounds like it could be your ball joints for sure. I am having my lowers done next week. $800 all in OEM parts plus labor.

Can’t he also place hands on 9 and 6 o’clock and move tire left to right? I think that tells you it’s ball joint and tie rod end.

There's a couple of good threads already on this topic, use the search function on this site. Sounds like it could be your ball joints for sure. I am having my lowers done next week. $800 all in OEM parts plus labor.

All OEM, are they replacing the entire LCA? Toyota doesn't sell the ball joints separate from the LCA... you have to go aftermarket to find them, lot's of threads here about it.

I am also a Land Rover convert.

Land Cruisers are like refrigerators, bring it home, neglect it for 20yrs and then buy a new one when it costs more to fix than replace.

Land Rovers are like toddlers, always needing attention, throwing tantrums and refusing to move if they don't get their way.

All OEM, are they replacing the entire LCA? Toyota doesn't sell the ball joints separate from the LCA... you have to go aftermarket to find them, lot's of threads here about it.

I have found the bushings for ball joints at Camelback Toyota in AZ. Only $13 each. I’ve heard it’s PITA to change out though.

I used Moog lower arms, the have the ball joint and bushing in there already. When I was young, and rebuilding Camaros and Chevelles we used Moog, they were considered “good” back then. It’s the only non Toyota parts I have bought. They have been fine for 4 years, and abused in Moab and Colorado several times. For the money it’s a good deal. They aren’t bad to install.

Last edited:
That seems like a lot. I got a set of lower control arm ball joints for $160 from Napa and rented a ball joint press for free and got it done in a couple hours. It’s veen great ever since.

That seems like a lot. I got a set of lower control arm ball joints for $160 from Napa and rented a ball joint press for free and got it done in a couple hours. It’s veen great ever since.

I will call around to a couple of other shops and see if there's a better deal out there. The quote for the parts only was $180 for each arm/ball joint.

I'm leaning to doing this way due to not wanting to remove that ball joint from the LCA. How difficult was removing/installing the torsion bar?

Use a favorite forum here to for more info?

I’ve also swapped mine out with the 555 joints. Cheap and easier than swapping out the whole arm, plus my control arm bushings had plenty of life left in them.

I will call around to a couple of other shops and see if there's a better deal out there. The quote for the parts only was $180 for each arm/ball joint.
Yeah I just checked my Napa receipt and it said $75 for each ball joint. This was their Napa “premium” brand...the nicest you can get at Napa. Quality was honestly great. No complaints on my end.
The pair of ball joints totaled $150 plus tax. Then Napa has a tool rental program that you can rent a ball joint press for removal and installation of new ball joints. My local shop let you write a check for tool rental and as long as you bring the tool back that day then they will just hand you your original check back. It’s pretty damn convenient for me...instead of spending 2-300 on a good ball joint press you only need for a couple of hours.

I'm leaning to doing this way due to not wanting to remove that ball joint from the LCA. How difficult was removing/installing the torsion bar?

Use a favorite forum here to for more info?
You do not need to remove the LCA to replace a ball joint. I replaced both of mine without removing lower control arms.
I’ve removed and installed torsion bars and it wasn’t that bad.just have to make sure you mark and count torsion splines.
You DO NOT need to remove torsion bars to replace LCA ball joints though...just in case you were wondering.

I have found the bushings for ball joints at Camelback Toyota in AZ. Only $13 each. I’ve heard it’s PITA to change out though.
Bushings on ball joints? There are no bushings on ball joints, maybe you are talking about the ball joint boot?
The bushings on a lower control arm are located vehicle side compared to ball joints (2 per side- 4 total). Bushings are usually in that $15-$30 each price range. Bushings suck to replace...but very do able.
Replacing ball joints in actually pretty simple if you know what you’re doing and have a good ball joint press. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a very similar prob the other day, jack each side up so tire just able to rotate, try moving wheel side to side to identify any movement in the hub - if it moves you may have a bearing issue? You can also place a crowbar under tire while jacked up, try lifting/ dropping it repeatedly while looking at your ball joints, bushings etc, you might be able to see any loose movement in the joints - your ball joints should be seated without any movement.

My wheel had slight sideways movement, turned out my wheel bearing wasn't tightened correctly, simple fix thankfully.

Bushings for ball joint?

You mean the LCA bushings? Yeah, those are a pain and available from toyota.

But the ball joint itself, is not available from toyota. As guys above have said, they source the 555 ball joint from various distributors.

DO NOT BUY MOOG CONTROL ARMS LABELED AS "RK" OR THEIR VALUE LINE PRODUCTS!!!!!! These parts are absolutely garbage. They do have a better grade line but for lower control arms that fit cruisers they only offer super low end. Buy super pro bushings and 555 ball joints.

Just to throw a data point out there. I could physically feel my lowers were getting bad from how my rig drove, however I was not able to replicate movement or failure of any kind by prying or moving my knuckle around. Once removed, it was clear that they were pretty worn as they had in & out movement. Replacing them made a huge difference in my handling and ride up front.

I would say that if you have over 150k on your rig they are starting to get a little loose, over 200k I would replace just for preventative maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom